It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
(male)

vasdef HB User
Strattera and Prozac

I keep hearing that its not good to mix Strattera and Prozac. Can anyone shed some light on this topic?

I've been taking 20 mg Prozac for 11 years for BP disorder, and for the last year have been taking 80 mg Prozac. Recently I've been diagnosed with ADD and have been taking 80 mg Strattera for 1 month. I get the dry mouth, had difficulty urinating (that side effect has subsided) and in the last couple days have been listless and devoid of energy. I would like to hear from others who are experiencing anything from taking these 2 meds. Thanks

Old 04-03-2004, 04:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Strattera and Prozac

I haven't taken the 2 together but I do know that the PDR says that they are metabolized by the same cytochrome pathway in the liver. As a result, metabolism of either (or both) may be slowed and the dosages may need to be reduced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
(male)

vasdef HB User

I wonder why the red flag didn't go up when my Pdoc prescribed me the Strattera. I will see him in a couple weeks, and see what he says.

I've been taking 80 mg srattera for 5 weeks now, the other day I seemed to have hit a low. Similar to a slight depression, but different somehow. I'm just about recovered from it, I'm wondering if it's the Strattera. I also do notice I have a short fuse lately too.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Vasdef, I hope I didn't word my reply too strongly. I don't think it's unusual for Strattera and Prozac to be prescribed together, it's just that their dosages may need to be reduced, according to the PDR.

I've seen several parents post that their kids are irritable/moody on Strattera. For us, it's the oppposite, it's had a lovely antidepressant effect on my son.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
(male)

vasdef HB User
Strattera update

Ok, so a week ago or so I got into this funk, a slight depressive state, along with that came the lack of focus, scatterbrainedness (sp?) etc.. After a few days it subsided. A couple days ago I went to my pdoc to give him the update on how the Strattera has been working so far. (I've been on 80 mg for about 6 weeks, taken at night.) As long as I'm not showing any persistent side effects, he assured me that taking the 80 mg Prozac with the 80 Mg Strattera was ok, and being that almost all of the Strattera side effects were gone, he has upped it another 25 mg, for a total of 105 mg. The past two days have been good, my concentration has returned, I'm not as forgetful. I'm not expecting a miracle, but any slight improvement is a good thing.

More updates as they develop...

Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Strattera update

Thanks for the update! I hope things continue to improve for you.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
(male)

vasdef HB User
Another Strattera update

8 weeks on Strattera now. Was taking 80 mg for 6 weeks, last 2 weeks I was bumped up to 105 mg (2- 40 mg & 1-25 mg)

I'm feeling good. I'm definitely more productive at work, focused and less disorganized. If it stays like this, I'll be happy.

Closed Thread