It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2004, 08:53 AM   #1

Purely_Canadian HB User
Question Does my son have ADD?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boards and would like some opinions if possible before I take action. Please forgive me for the length of this post.

My husband and I are concerned that our 9 year old son, Travis, might have ADD. Travis was always an active child and he had a tremendous "need" to play. Travis could not get through a meal without wanting to get up from the table and play. He would often bring toys to the table and would get extremely upset when I told him play time would have to wait. Also, when he was watching TV, forget about speaking to him. He didn't have a clue you were even talking.

Travis is now 9. The first words out of his mouth when he gets out of bed in the morning is "I'm bored". This is no exaggeration. He literally opens the bedroom door and that is my usual greeting. He plays his gameboy in the bathroom for 30 minutes at a time. When he is not playing gameboy, he wants to play on the computer. He rarely plays outside with friends - he'd rather be indoors. His teacher tells us that he has a hard time sitting still in school and fidgets quite a bit. Because he can't get up and walk around the classroom, he practically lies down in the chair. He also continually forgets to bring home supplies he requires to complete his homework like books, scribblers, and/or instructions.

For the past few months, Travis refuses to eat lunch at school. Apparently, if you're not out on the playground in time, you don't get picked to play football. He takes it to the extreme by not eating at all instead of taking an apple with him. When he comes home, he is completely famished!

My husband nudged me the other night while we were all watching TV. Travis was sitting on the floor and I swear the child changed positions every 10 seconds. He'd lie down, then sit up, then roll over on his tummy. Even when Travis goes to bed he lies awake for hours and we can hear him rolling over in bed every 5 minutes.

Things became more evident last night when I was helping him with his math homework. We were working on long division problems. I helped him with the first few problems until I was sure he understood what he was doing. He then did 5 or 6 on his own with no problems. By the time he got to number 10 he would start working on the problem but then got concerned with problems he already completed (wondering if he should add zeros to the "empty spaces"). His attention was clearly wandering. He would glance at the TV in the other room. I turned it off. He would start conversations not relating to his homework. I changed the subject back by reminding him to concentrate on what he was doing. By the time we got to problems number 15 and 16 he was forgetting how to solve the problems. He would look at the equation, talk to himself, fidget, and then completely lose it because he couldn't remember how to solve it.

Does this behaviour sound like ADD? I'd really like some of your opinions before I seek medical advice.

Thanks so much,
Sherry

Last edited by Purely_Canadian; 04-16-2004 at 09:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User
Re: Does my son have ADD?

Don't wait.Take him to the Dr.Find out for sure.We are not Drs.here,we can only give an opinion,not diagnose.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #3

Purely_Canadian HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyLynne63
Don't wait.Take him to the Dr.Find out for sure.We are not Drs.here,we can only give an opinion,not diagnose.

Thank you for your reply. I realize that none of you are doctors and I did not ask anyone to diagnose - I simply asked if the behaviour I was describing sounded like ADD symptoms. My apologies. I will take my question elsewhere.

Sherry

Last edited by Purely_Canadian; 04-16-2004 at 05:36 PM.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Sherry, to me it sounds as if your son has adhd. When you described his need to play and his fidgeting it reminded me of my 6 year old son who has adhd. Since it is interfering will his daily tasks you should definitely have him evaluated.

The long division is a whole other story. I am a secondary math teacher and I find long division absolutely tortuous. It is so tedious and boring. It is a necessary evil (skill) to do the fun stuff. My guess is when the kids do long division in 4th and 5th grade most of them act like they have adhd. If I had to do more than six problems in a row I would probably act just like your son did. (However, after reading some of the posts I am starting to believe that I have add.)

I do hope that you decide to stick around on this board. It is really helpful to get different perspectives. I think it has helped sort out what I really believe is in the best interest of my children in relationship to their adhd.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:24 AM   #5

sadie30 HB User

hi sherry , i am a shari also.. i really wanted to write a reply to this because i also have a son who was diagnosed with adhd when he was 4 and then juvinile bi polar disorder when he was ten. My son was like yours , only he had other problems that went along with it. I definitely would get him seen by a child psychiatrist as soon as possible. Boys at this age are basically always on the go. When i walk into my sons classroom i swear all the boys could have add..ha ha because of the way they are acting. But they dont all have it. I find a lot of boys are bored very easily and are addicted to video games. But it is the way they handle this that is important. You know it is funny when my son went for an assement there were things that the doctor saw in my son that i never did because i was so used to seeing these behavoiurs i thought it was normal. So taking him in , which wont be easy because the wait for these appointments is awesome , is the best thing for your peace of mind and helps your son to be diagnosed early enough that he can be treated and live a happy life. If in fact he has add. i wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #6
Inactive

maak823 HB User

Sherry,
I can tell you that it does sound like he is displaying symptoms of ADD. I also have a 9 yr old (diagnosed at age 8) with ADD- and this sounds very familiar. I would speak to your Dr. and have them order an ADD evaluation- this is done by surveying each of your childs teachers, and yourself. Its good that you are looking into the problem now, before it starts creating serious problems for your son.

Best of Luck to you!!!
-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purely_Canadian
Thank you for your reply. I realize that none of you are doctors and I did not ask anyone to diagnose - I simply asked if the behaviour I was describing sounded like ADD symptoms. My apologies. I will take my question elsewhere.

Sherry

Closed Thread