It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
(male)

sodawater HB User
spelling

this is kind of a superfluous post, but i'm very curious about it.

i've noticed two other ADD posters here talk about being terrible spellers. apparently when i was a kid, i was something of a spelling prodigy. i actually remember being shown off by my sister because i could spell 'beethoven' when i was 4. though ironically i am a bit dyslexic at times.

is this one of those things that goes to either extreme with ADD-ers?

Old 04-21-2004, 02:45 PM   #2

brainf0g HB User
Re: spelling

Yeah spelling is one of those things that can go either way with AD/HD. I was a excellent speller as a kid as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
(male)

sodawater HB User

hey brainfog -
haven't seen you post much lately. i get the impression our ADD is fairly similar from your other posts. could i trouble you to remind me what medication you take. thanks!

Old 04-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Some with ADHD make a lot of careless mistakes due to inattention/rushing through the job (even though they are good spellers and *know* how to spell), but there are also many who have co-morbid dyslexia.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 AM   #5

brainf0g HB User

Hey Sodawater,

I'm a Limbic/Inattentive ADDer. Mainly inattentive. I take Wellbutrin SR @ 400 mg and 5-10 mg of Adderall XR. I also do many other treatments, such as diet, exercise, supplements, etc.

Last edited by brainf0g; 04-22-2004 at 01:26 AM.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 AM   #6
(male)

sodawater HB User

hey redhead and brainfog -

brainfog, how have you liked the adderall?

to my surprise, my naturopathic doc who is generally opposed to meds, strongly recommends it.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 AM   #7
Mart7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodawater
this is kind of a superfluous post, but i'm very curious about it.

i've noticed two other ADD posters here talk about being terrible spellers. apparently when i was a kid, i was something of a spelling prodigy. i actually remember being shown off by my sister because i could spell 'beethoven' when i was 4. though ironically i am a bit dyslexic at times.

is this one of those things that goes to either extreme with ADD-ers?
My son (who is now 17 is the same) he has always been an exceptional speller. (There are many times I ask him how to spell a word!) When he was little he would correct my pronunciation of words! He was an exceptional reader by 5 years. However he couldn't write his name to save his life and math and staying organized has always been challenging for him. Now he has beautiful penmanship. He is also extremely creative. Our goal has always been to focus on helping him develop his strengths -- he has so many and he has done wonderfully (it hasn't always been easy, but he has accomplished and overcome a great deal.)
-MJ

Old 04-22-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
(female)

msmars5188 HB User

When i was younger i was a great speller and knew the correct way to use everything. Now i have started to spell things completely wrong(like leaving out letters even when i know they should be there), have bad handwriting(i always have though), and i even leave words out when i am writing fast. To top it all off, i will sometimes write the letters out of order when writing something or say words out of order when i am speaking. I know the correct way to spell/say it in my head but when it comes out its completely wrong. Is this dud to add/adhd or is it somethign else?

Old 04-23-2004, 01:42 AM   #9

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodawater
hey redhead and brainfog -

brainfog, how have you liked the adderall?

to my surprise, my naturopathic doc who is generally opposed to meds, strongly recommends it.
I like it and it seems to work great for many people with adult AD/HD. It especially works good for inattentive ADD.

It seems that Ritalin and Adderall are on different "sides of fence".. The ADDers that like Adderall don't like Ritalin (or it just doesn't work for them), and the people who like Ritalin don't like Adderall.

It probably has to do with different AD/HD subtypes.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:25 AM   #10
(male)

sodawater HB User

that's good news as i tried ritalin several years ago, and while it 'worked' i really couldn't feel comfortable on it. thanks.

Closed Thread