It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 06:59 PM   #1

Lexxxiii HB User
Question Potential Life Insurance Problem

(I posted this on another message board, but also posting here for responses)

Basically, I think I made a major mistake today. Brief summary of my story-- dr. put me on ritalin a couple of weeks ago and i didn't like it, so i took a break to figure out if I wanted to go the med route. A couple of days ago i decided to give it another shot and so i have been using it the past 2 days. The problem is that i forgot i had my life insurance eval this evening. I didn't inform them that i sought treatment for ADD. You see I went to a different dr other than my primary and paid privately (rather than insurance) just in case the meds were something i didn't want to continue or they didn't work, then i figured it would be nowhere in my medical file (perhaps overly cautious for nothing- but It was a personal decision that felt comfortable for me. Anyway getting sidetracked-that is not the issue.

The issue is that absentminded me took the ritalin today twice (at 9am and at 1pm). When I got home I had forgotten all about it and while the evaluator was here passing me the urine cup (6:30 pm) it hit me like a ton of bricks---- I took a stimulant!!! Ughhhhhh.

Does anyone know if this will show up in my urinalysis or blood work?????? What is the absorption rate for such a dosage. For what it's worth, I urinated twice earlier before the evaluator arrived. I am just kicking myself that I totally forgot.

Lexxxiii

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
(female)

BabblingBrooke HB User
Re: Potential Life Insurance Problem

I'm not sure if this goes for every life insurance Physical, but while my husband was giving a samples for life insurance reasons, I was talking to the nurse about what they tested for. According to her, they test for life threatening things that would play a major role in getting covered. Mainly, she mentioned HIV and Cancer. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:03 PM   #3

Lexxxiii HB User

Thanks so much for the response Brooke. Hopefully all will be well since the dosage was pretty low (5 mg each time).

What concerns me is that when I read a copy of the release they gave me they listed that they would be testing for major drugs of abuse in addition to HIV, etc. Ho Hummmmm

Lex

Old 04-24-2004, 11:08 AM   #4

Cozmo121519 HB User

My mother in law is in the health screening business. They do test for everything. Ritalin should show up as amphetamine use. Your best bet would be to contact your insurance agent and be honest with him about your oversight. He should work with you about it, afterall he WANTS TO MAKE A SALE!

Old 04-24-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Last fall just before I had my life insurance physical my son started ritalin. I tried two doses (each 5mg) of the ritalin (just to see what the effects are) the day before my physical. (I obviously wasn't thinking.) I asked the portamed if it would show up in my blood or urine samples she had taken. She did not know. Luckily it did not show up and I did get a high rating. (Not preferred because I did disclose that I am on wellbutrin.)

Your best bet would be to contact your insurance agent and be honest with him about your oversight. He should work with you about it, afterall he WANTS TO MAKE A SALE!

It would probably not help to contact your agent. The underwriters review the medical records and give the ratings. Your agent has no control over the rating you recieve. You went out of your way to assure that your agent did not know that you were seeking medical help for adhd. Once it is disclosed to him he will be obligated to put it on future life insurance applications you may submit.

Closed Thread