It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 09:57 PM   #1

wfrarck HB User
Alternatives to Prescription Medications??

Any of you who are following all of my posts, probably think I'm nuts at this point, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Concerta has been working well for both me and my older son, but here's the catch. My older son wants to go to the Air Force Academy and be a fighter jet pilot. He is absolutely set on this! At the very least, he wants to fly a plane for a living. According to the FAA, he cannot be on ANY medication and get his solo license. So, 2 questions, first of all, do any of you know, can he be on herbal remedies - does that count? 2nd of all, what would you recommend?? Do any of you have experience with ADD & piloting aircraft??

Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 04-23-2004, 07:03 PM   #2

andybanandy HB User
Re: Alternatives to Prescription Medications??

hey
im 17 years old and im kind of in the same boat as your son.
i am close to being diagnosed with add (seeing psych next month, but i have LOTS of the symptoms, i did a test on the internet and i had 63/72 of them.)

i have my heart set on being a pilot, a commerical pilot, and i was wondering the same thing.

before your son gets any further in his training, i reccomend you contact the FAA people personally, or maybe your closest flight school. in my opinion, (please dont quote me on this) i dont think he should have a problem, i have heard of pilots with add.

i have one question for you though, you said the faa says you cant be on any medications to get your solo lisence.. do you by any chance know if that included your commercial (flying for airlines, in big airplanes:P) lisence?

Last edited by moderator2; 04-25-2004 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 09:30 PM   #3

wfrarck HB User

I emailed one of the doctors at the FAA at one point (about a year ago?) and they informed me they he had to be off medications for 90 days before he took his medical exam for his solo license. I was under the impression that that was any pilots license of any kind! That's why I was starting to look for natural alternatives for him. I don't think the ADD itself is the problem, I think it's the medication. I might be wrong though. That would be great if I'm am! The other difference in flying commercially is that you would have another pilot with you - maybe that makes a difference??

Last edited by moderator2; 04-25-2004 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Please do not quote posts that violate the Policies and Guidelines. Please read and know them yourself. Click on FAQ at the top left of the page. Thank you!

Old 04-25-2004, 11:18 AM   #4

andybanandy HB User

the main reason (i think) why they want to see about the meds is to check if he can fly, if something goes wrong.
they make you stop taking your meds, 90 days before a solo flight test, to see if you can fly a plane while your not under hte influence of medicinal aid's, which makes perfect sense to me. the pilot has to be in perfect condition while flying a hundreds of people, 10,000 feet in the sky.

i think the medication thing only applies for the 90 days before the test, and if you can prove you can do without, you might be fine (depending on the type of pilot you want to be). Like ive said in previous posts, i have heard of pilots with medicated add

Old 04-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #5

wfrarck HB User

I don't think so - in reading other posts on pilot boards and reading the FAA regulations, it doesn't look like he can take any medication and pass his medical. Unless those pilots aren't reporting their ADD, or they are taking a medication for ADD that is on the unofficial "approved" list, I don't think that's possible. However, I did email a place that helps Pilots get their medical stuff approved. I'll see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybanandy
the main reason (i think) why they want to see about the meds is to check if he can fly, if something goes wrong.
they make you stop taking your meds, 90 days before a solo flight test, to see if you can fly a plane while your not under hte influence of medicinal aid's, which makes perfect sense to me. the pilot has to be in perfect condition while flying a hundreds of people, 10,000 feet in the sky.

i think the medication thing only applies for the 90 days before the test, and if you can prove you can do without, you might be fine (depending on the type of pilot you want to be). Like ive said in previous posts, i have heard of pilots with medicated add

Old 04-25-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
Inactive

prometheus HB User

i could be wrong, but i dont think the airforce allows people with diagnosed ADD unless they have a waiver. it could be different with the academy. i don't know.

Closed Thread