It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

jnm3kds HB User
I think my son has add

Hi I have a 15 yr old son that I think has ADD. I have three sons and he is the only one with these problems. He has had problems in school since he was about 7 or 8. But he skated by in elementary and junior high. Now he is in high school and he gets bad grades. I put him on restriction and try everything, he tries to make his grades better, but it's like he is just not interested. He has a problem with reading and spelling. He is also full of energy, he has friends but loses interest in them and he also loses interest in just about everything. He eats candy and drinks soda every day, even though I try to stop him he gets it at school. I don't want to put my son on drugs! But I think I will take him to a phsyciatrist and dr. and tell them what is going on. I have heard that if you don't take care of their problems they may end up using drugs, I am afraid of that also.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:22 PM   #2

meghansmom HB User
Re: I think my son has add

take him to the doc and have him evaluated. i think that is a good start. let us know how it goes.

good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

jnm3kids,

In addition to a psychological evaluation, I would have him evaluated for learning disabilities as well. It is possible that he has a learning disability in reading that is causing some of the problem.

If you aren't ready yet to try medication, I would recommend that you take him to a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist for testing. A psychiatrist is much more likely to "push" for medication.

I think that you are right to have him evaluated even if you don't want to try medication. The information you get will be valuable. And, once you have a diagnosis, there are modifications that can be made in school to help him. It's definitely worth doing!

Old 04-24-2004, 11:16 AM   #4

Cozmo121519 HB User

Get help, have him evaluated. Also look at other possabilities, he may be gifted, school, friends etc. might not be holding his attention because its below his intelegence. If nothing else work with him. try different things with parenting no matter how against the grain they may seem. After all if it works why not?

Closed Thread