It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #1

andybanandy HB User
can retilin hurt you?

hi, im sorry i am very busy so i cant search through the forums to see if someone else made this topic, but if they have, you can just send me in the right direction to the link.

my question is, can retilin really hurt you? i know if you abuse it, it obviously will. but if you take it like the doctor says, can it still do damage?

i was on the pilots forums on a different site, and this is what one person had to say on the topic.

"Forgot to add that one thing they keep from you is the known liver damage caused by ritalin and the like. The medical society knows that taking Ritalin will knock years off of your life. They are also predicting that once the initial takers of Ritalin reach older years that they will see liver diseases that are far worse and some that they have never seen before. They justify it by saying that the Ritalin gives you back somewhat of a life and that some of a life is better than none. Yah laying in a hospital bed dying from liver disease is how I want my son to check out one day."

i am really scared about this. i think i have add, and a SEVERE condition of it, because i can NEVER concentrate, im always out of it. one time i did a test to see how long i could concentrate on my teacher without being distracted (or slipping into day dreaming, as i usually do) and i could only listen to him for around 25 secconds. and it shows in my report card.

anyway. if i am perscribed retilin, can it do as the person i quoted above said, and take my life away? if so, are their anyother percriptions other then retilin that wont do my any harm?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Inactive

herbal HB User
Re: can retilin hurt you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybanandy
hi, im sorry i am very busy so i cant search through the forums to see if someone else made this topic, but if they have, you can just send me in the right direction to the link.

my question is, can retilin really hurt you? i know if you abuse it, it obviously will. but if you take it like the doctor says, can it still do damage?

i was on the pilots forums on a different site, and this is what one person had to say on the topic.

"Forgot to add that one thing they keep from you is the known liver damage caused by ritalin and the like. The medical society knows that taking Ritalin will knock years off of your life. They are also predicting that once the initial takers of Ritalin reach older years that they will see liver diseases that are far worse and some that they have never seen before. They justify it by saying that the Ritalin gives you back somewhat of a life and that some of a life is better than none. Yah laying in a hospital bed dying from liver disease is how I want my son to check out one day."

i am really scared about this. i think i have add, and a SEVERE condition of it, because i can NEVER concentrate, im always out of it. one time i did a test to see how long i could concentrate on my teacher without being distracted (or slipping into day dreaming, as i usually do) and i could only listen to him for around 25 secconds. and it shows in my report card.

anyway. if i am perscribed retilin, can it do as the person i quoted above said, and take my life away? if so, are their anyother percriptions other then retilin that wont do my any harm?
Every medicine causes some kind of problem sooner or later. Some worse than others. As for liver damage with Ritalin, it's not common. However, there is this one ADD/ADHD med that can cause severe liver damage (forgot the name), in fact, the med causes so much damage that they have to do blood tests every few weeks. If only I can remember the name of the med.

Are you on Ritalin? I didn't catch it in the message if you said so. Kinda tired. Hehe.

There are several other great ADD/ADHD meds out there.

Be careful before diagnosing yourself with ADD or ADHD. It might just be an anxiety problem. I know it was for me. My doc thought I had ADD, but it turns out I have a small case of generalized anxiety disorder.

Best wishes.
, Herbal

Old 04-23-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Yes Ritalin can and does do harm. Some people see it as a trade off...

but you might be interested to know that focus, attention is part of the human organism and adapts to its environment. It is an adaptable mechanism. It can adapt to be steady, intense, concentrated and involved, or it can adapt to skip around, and follow a bunch of things at once, though less involved. In todays world of information it is becoming easier and easier to be scattered and the average attention span has plummetted. You don't need drugs to learn to concentrate. Concentration is learned from your environment, from such things as tv watching (stop this) and type of music (switch to classical), and can be taught with simple exercises such as learning an instrument, playing chess, and underwater swimming. Underwater swimming is probably the one best exercise you can do to improve concentration because your concentration is directly related to your breath, and your lung capacity. Ever try to pay attention when you are out of breath? Ever notice that when you concentrate or when you suddenly focus on something you naturally hold your breath? Your breath is the seat of your intelligence. Those who can hold their breath longer can outsmart, out focus, out argue, and out perform someone who cannot hold their breath as long. Also, underwater swimming increases the blood supply to the brain in ways that simply holding your breath cannot do. So stop watching tv (Lots of studies on this and how tv trains your mind to be scattered and your attention span to be short), switch to classical music, and try underwater swimming. You'll find you won't even need that ritalin.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #4

andybanandy HB User

herbal, im not on retilin yet, in fact, i dont know if i have add yet, i mgoing to get it tested end of this month, but i did some research (as much as i could) and i found a little test you can take, with a bunch of symptoms, and i got 63out of 72 of them. that doesnt mean i have add, but it sure shows something.

prometheus, you make a good point. but please please please tell me i dont have to give up tv. my whole world revolves around it, ! what would i do if i didnt have tv? read a book?, i cant read a book!. im not dislexic or anything, its just i cant concentrate on what im reading!like, i could read a sentence, but i cant understand the meaning!. sometimes, i even daydream when i read!. i am planning on buying a really nice exercise bike within this week, so maybe that can get the blood pumping.

as for where you said retilin CAN hurt you, are their any other percription drugs for add that cant?, what about percription stratera (or however you spell it), can that cause liver damage also?

Old 04-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #5

andybanandy HB User

i just did some research, and it appears that the liver damage side effects isnt very common,
heres some of the stuff i have found

"Q: Is there any research supporting the claim that long-term use of Ritalin can cause liver cancer in children?

Mary Beth / Tennessee

A: No scientific evidence supports a link between methylphenidate (Ritalin) and cancer in humans.

In 1995, research done for the U.S. government suggested that Ritalin might cause liver cancer in mice. But researchers found no evidence that the drug causes any human cancers. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regards Ritalin as a safe and effective drug.

Ritalin is a stimulant used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It may work by increasing and balancing levels of the brain chemicals dopamine (associated with activity) and serotonin (associated with a sense of well-being).

Question: Is ritalin from a cocaine derivative and does it cause liver damage?

Answer: It is not related to cocaine. Occasional patients have had elevated liver enzymes, but this is an uncommon problem with this drug.

One study found that it caused cancerous tumors in male rats. Even though animal studies don't necessarily predict what may occur in humans, the FDA has asked the manufacturer to warn doctors that the drug may have the potential to cause cancer

Old 04-23-2004, 09:02 PM   #6

andybanandy HB User

i was thinking, if i was percribed retalin. i would take it for about a year, year and a half, and during that time, i would train my brain to concentrate so i can read, and get away from the tv, like prometheus said. and then i would stop taking it,,, and see what happens.

do you think i could get liver problems after taking it for just one year?

are their any other not as harmfull drugs that can help?

Last edited by andybanandy; 04-23-2004 at 09:06 PM.

Old 04-24-2004, 02:23 AM   #7

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
Underwater swimming is probably the one best exercise you can do to improve concentration because your concentration is directly related to your breath, and your lung capacity. Ever try to pay attention when you are out of breath? Ever notice that when you concentrate or when you suddenly focus on something you naturally hold your breath?
Okay....

The reason you can pay attention when you are holding your breath is because your brain starts 'pumping out' adrenaline in response to 'ward off' death...

This adrenaline 'lights up' your frontal lobes dramatically.

Quote:
Your breath is the seat of your intelligence. Those who can hold their breath longer can outsmart, out focus, out argue, and out perform someone who cannot hold their breath as long."
That statement is illogical and extremely irresponsible. Even if there was some 'truth' to that, do you know how easy that would be to scientifically demonstrate?

Last edited by brainf0g; 04-24-2004 at 03:17 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #8
(female)

msmars5188 HB User

Prometeus, i would like to know where you found out that holding your breath makes you concentrate better? Also, i have adhd and i "play" the drums. By "play" i mean that i have owned a drumset for about 2 years and have yet to actually learn to play it very well. I'm not taking any meds or getting any other kind of treatment for it(my nurse mom doesnt believe that taking meds will solve anything, i know thats odd but oh well). I havent been able to train myself to play attention for very long at all. Thus, your whole thing about learning to play an instrument will help you learn to concentrate better is NOT TRUE. I can sit in front my drums for about 10 minutes then i start to drift off to somewhere else and think about what i need to do later. I also run and that hasnt increased my attention span, its actually made it worse. I'm more tired and irratible, as well as hungry, after running and that makes it more difficult to do homework and other needed tasks. I would really like to know your source because im interested in reading the entire article about that stuff.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Hi to all! I'm a special education minor and am currently taking a course on ADHD. My professor wrote her dissertation on ADHD and even presented it at Oxford last month. I feel like she knows her "stuff." Anyway, we've reviewed countless medications and this is what we've learned. Ritalin has the best track record for reducing the symptoms of ADHD. It is nonaddictive in the sense that it is flushed from the body the same way an asprin would be. Concerta, which is a dirivitive of Ritalin, is a sustained release tablet which works longer than Ritalin. The drug that DOES effect the liver is called Cylert (Pemoline). This drug is rarely used by physicians anymore. Hope this helps anyone.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #10
Inactive

prometheus HB User

At this moment, as you start to read this, you are holding your breath.

......Yes?

As you breathed, you moved your attention to this sentence. OR you moved your attention to other things and then breathed again before moving it to this next sentence.

...Before I continue on any of this, I want to know -exactly- why you, BrainF0g, think that the statement in question was both "illogical" and "irresponsible".

Last edited by prometheus; 04-24-2004 at 04:59 PM.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #11
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Andy,

You don't have to do anything. You can always take ritalin. The TV watching is, among other things, one of the reasons why you can't read a book (I believe). It would be painful at first, but you would get over it and the benefits would actually be very enjoyable.

Last edited by prometheus; 04-24-2004 at 05:28 PM.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #12

andybanandy HB User

Quote:
Andy,

You don't have to do anything. You can always take ritalin. The TV watching is, among other things, one of the reasons why you can't read a book (I believe). It would be painful at first, but you would get over it and the benefits would actually be very enjoyable.
hmm, i tried your advice and picked up a book that i have bought a while ago, but havent got around to reading, tom clancy's rainbow six.

i can tell i would enjoy the book, but the problem is i cant read it! im not dyslexic or anything, i can see the words, but i cant concentrate on the sentences, like i said before.

can my brain really be trained into being normal (if tv is the cause) just by getting away from the tv and reading?

if so, i was thinking that i could go to the psych (which im alrady scheduled for) and if he gives my retilin, i would take it for about a year, that way, i may be able to read perfectly, and get used to reading. but when the meds wear off, would i go back to normal or be changed?

im sorry if my sentences dont make sense, this just shows haw bad i am at concentrating, in fact, i was actually thinking about other things when i was typing that

Old 04-25-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Once you take the ritalin that is that. you aren't going to go back, so don't even kid yourself. It may be the best choice for you. I don't know that. I do know that concentration and attention is learned. TV's, movies, and certain types of music train your attention to be quick and scattered and every year the normal attention span for westerners declines.

Who are the best of the best when it comes to concentration? Zen monks. Zen monks aren't born being able to focus and concentrate like they do. They train in it every day...and most of it is breathing exercises.

Now, tell me about the reading, because that can have other issues as well and may just appear that you can't concentrate when really it is the way you were taught to read. I was lucky to escape this, being a few years older than you, but recently they started teaching children how to read differently, through a sight method (Visual association and "seeing" words as whole units instead of "sounding them out" phonetically), like how the Chinese learn to read, but it does not work with the English alphabet, and a lot of people get dyslexia. Now, I know you don't have dyslexia, but you still may not be able to appreciate reading if you aren't reading correctly. You say you "see" the words. Do you actually read them..as in do you hear them in your mind when you read them? If not, you need to relearn to read in a phonetic manner. Otherwise you'll never be able to appreciate a book in English.

Last edited by prometheus; 04-25-2004 at 02:51 PM.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:05 PM   #14

andybanandy HB User

Quote:
Once you take the ritalin that is that. you aren't going to go back, so don't even kid yourself. It may be the best choice for you. I don't know that. I do know that concentration and attention is learned. TV's, movies, and certain types of music train your attention to be quick and scattered and every year the normal attention span for westerners declines.

Who are the best of the best when it comes to concentration? Zen monks. Zen monks aren't born being able to focus and concentrate like they do. They train in it every day...and most of it is breathing exercises.

Now, tell me about the reading, because that can have other issues as well and may just appear that you can't concentrate when really it is the way you were taught to read. I was lucky to escape this, being a few years older than you, but recently they started teaching children how to read differently, through a sight method (Visual association and "seeing" words as whole units instead of "sounding them out" phonetically), like how the Chinese learn to read, but it does not work with the English alphabet, and a lot of people get dyslexia. Now, I know you don't have dyslexia, but you still may not be able to appreciate reading if you aren't reading correctly. You say you "see" the words. Do you actually read them..as in do you hear them in your mind when you read them? If not, you need to relearn to read in a phonetic manner. Otherwise you'll never be able to appreciate a book in English.

i can in fact hear the words in my head, but i cant compile them to form a meaning, like i said before, i simply cant concentrate on what im reading!, no matter how hard i try. im almost always in a half awake/half day dreaming state.

also, what do you mean by when you say "Once you take the ritalin that is that. you aren't going to go back,"
will it hurt you if you go off it?

Old 04-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #15
Inactive

prometheus HB User

lol are you kidding it hurts you if you go on it! It probably hurts you if you go off it too, but that is something you can ask your doctor about.

Closed Thread