It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 09:39 AM   #1

Dee_R HB User
what to expect from ritalin

I would like to know if anyone can tell me exactly what I should expect from taking this drug. I just started it yesterday and I took 5mg. it made me sleepy. I took 10mg this mornig then 1o more @3pm and 10 more @5:30pm. I seem to feel different, but can't discribe how. Does anyone have any insite on this.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: what to expect from ritalin

Dee - sorry that you didn't get an answer sooner. How has it been going with the Ritalin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 04:08 AM   #3

Dee_R HB User

Well I have not really had any change,except for my appetite. I have increased the dose to 20mg every 2 hours or so... I called the Dr. to ask if this is ok but no respnse yet. Do I need to take more of this or do I need another kind of med? I am so confused. Also my sleep is all messed up... any suggestions?

Old 04-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #4
Veteran

positive4u HB User

Dee_R
DO NOT take 20mg every 2 hours or so. This can lead to seizures. What is your total dose per day now? Maximum daily dose is usually 60mg. If this drug is not working you may need to switch to Strattera or Adderall.
Positive4U

Old 04-29-2004, 01:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Have to agree 20mg every 2 hours is too much.

With Ritalin, 1mg/kg body weight/day is usually the upper limit but can go up to 1.5mg/kg. However if you do not notice any benefits from lower doses (around .5mg/kg) then the medication is not working for you and you should aim to try another stimulant or an antidepressant.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 05-07-2004, 12:07 PM   #6

Dee_R HB User

I have been taking that much.... the Dr. said not to due more than 60mg a day, but I have been doing 25 in the morn. then 15mg then 20 to get through the day. I go to DR. on the 10th of may. I am going to tell him thatthis is doing nothing for me. I feel no change when I take this....

Old 05-07-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_R
Well I have not really had any change,except for my appetite. I have increased the dose to 20mg every 2 hours or so... I called the Dr. to ask if this is ok but no respnse yet. Do I need to take more of this or do I need another kind of med? I am so confused. Also my sleep is all messed up... any suggestions?
Dee, 20mg per 2 hours is WAY TOO MUCH. Also, this is a controlled substance. It is ILLEGAL for you to take more than your doctor says. You really shouldnt even be on it if you are going to endanger yourself by taking doses that you havent even asked your doc if theyre safe.... Your sleep is all messed up because ritalin is a form of speed and you have been taking it in large doses way over the theraputic limit(you have basically been abusing ritalin)! ... and now you get to see just one of the negative effects caused by it.

Get to your doctor and get yourself fixed up!!! Please never do something like this again. These meds are controlled substances for a reason!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I see you are back to 60 daily. If its doing nothing for you I would stop taking it all together and just wait until you start your new treatment regimine.

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 05-07-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Closed Thread