It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #1

marie23 HB User
Adderall Vs Concerta/Weight loss

I am a 23 year old female who was just diagnosed with ADD- mainly inattentive. I'm taking concerta (18 mg.) and I was wondering if anyone experienced weight loss with it (adults)? Also, I may have to switch to Adderall, because of insurance reasons, and was wondering if anyone has taken both of these, and which one they liked better.(and did you lose weight on adderall?) So far I do not notice a differance in my attention span (I've been taking concerta everyday for 9 days) and I do not really a loss of appetite, like most people do.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Adderall Vs Concerta/Weight loss

Marie,

I haven't taken Adderall so I didn't answer sooner. You are on a relatively low dose of Concerta which may account for your lack of improvement in concentration. All of the stimulants act immediately so, by day 9, you should be seeing a response if you are going to. Your doc may want to increase your dose or try a different med. As far as appetite, I think both drugs effect everyone differently.

Let us know how it's going.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 11:14 PM   #3

emr0406 HB User

i have taken both! i feel that adderal is the miracle drug(i know that sounds wrong but it seriously works wonders) you will have weightloss w/ any drug for ADD. i was started on adderal when i was first diagnosed w/ ADD then i switched to concerta. concerta was the worst 3 weeks of my entire life to this point. i sunk into a severe depression. it was aweful. then i was quickly switched back to adderal where i still am. i function normally and great everyday.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
(female)

laurat700 HB User

I am a 28 year old female who has just recently been prescribed Concerta. I began with 18mg and am now taking 36mg. I will tell you that I took Adderall about 3 years ago and had a horrible experience with it. At the time I was 5'8" tall and 140 lbs. I lost 30 lbs while on Adderall!!!!!! I definately could not afford to lose that much weight. I remember saying that I couldn't remember the last time I was starving. There would be times when I had such little appetite that I only ate once a day. So far the Concerta has not had the same drastic effect for me. I am definately not as hungry as I used to be but I am still able to eat 3 meals a day without feeling stuffed. This, of course, is just my experience with it. Other people might be different. Hope this helps

Old 01-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

1crazygal HB User

I was just wondering - when you quit taking Adderall did you have a hard time "stopping"' the medication.

Thank You

Old 01-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

warpmps1 HB User
Smile Re: Adderall Vs Concerta/Weight loss

To all of you, my nine year old son is taking adderall 25mg. He went from 92 to 86lbs, not bad, but it works great doing a little better in school but we have to work at it or he has to. Good luck to all of you!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

My son,,,,who is now 12, took Adderall about 4 year ago, and ended up with terrible TICS from it. then they told us he didn't have ADHD.
Well, we just started going back to this doctor this past November, as he's had THE SAME problems since then and just getting worse. so, just recently he was d/x'd with ADHD & Bipolar. He's been on Strattera for about a month, not much of a change at all! She prescribed him Concerta yesterday, as that was one of the ADHD meds that his ins. company covers. well, went to pick up script last nite,,,,and guess what???? they need pre-authorization, the doctor has to call and tell them that it is medically necessary!!! It's BS.....if it wasn't medically necessary, she wouldn't have prescribed it...HELLO!!! she's starting him on 27mg of the Concerta. HOPE THIS WORKS!!
:::::::::sigh:::::::::
He is also taking Depakote.
As i recall back when he was on the Adderall, he did not have any weight loss. sorry about the venting, kind of got off the subject there
Good luck to everyone

Closed Thread