It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #1

benndover HB User
adderall or dexedrine for adult adhd?

I'm 31 and have been taking 20mg of adderall twice per day ending at noon. It has worked great for about 1 year but it makes me sweat and it seems to keep me up at night even though I take the last dose at noon. The dose is good because I can concentrate very good at work and throughout the day. I was wondering if the levo amphetamine in adderall causes the sweating and longer duration. I'm considering dexedrine because of the 1 d-isomer and shorter duration. Do you think this might help and would my doctor have a problem changing my meds? Also, are the dosages the same for the 2 drugs?

Old 05-01-2004, 06:07 AM   #2

ftlmatt HB User
Re: adderall or dexedrine for adult adhd?

i have been on dexedrine for six months now and really like it...i do not experience increased sweating since dextroamphetamine causes less peripheral (sp?) side effects than adderall does. dexedrine spanules also have a shorter duration of about 6-8 hours compared to 12 hours the adderall has.
i would change to the dexedrine if you are not happy with the aderrall

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

marlene12 HB User
Question Re: adderall or dexedrine for adult adhd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muztang777
I WOULDNT SUGGEST DEXEDRINE FOR ANYONE... I WAS ON IT 3 1/2 YEARS.. AT THE END I WAS TAKING 75MLS ONCE A DAY.. MY STUPID DOCTOR HAD ME ON A HIGH DOSE... WAY TOO HIGH.. THEN IT CAUSED ME TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK... I WAS SO ADDICTED TO IT ! I HAD TO QUIT IT COLD TURKEY WHILE I WAS IN THE ICU FOR 3 DAYS...THE WITHDRAWALS WERE PURE HELL.... DEX. COULD HAVE KILLED ME.. I WAS ONLY 37 YEARS OLD THEN.. IT HAPPENED NOV. 2001... JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW... BE CAREFUL....
mustang - So sorry to hear about your experiencing quitting Dex due to your doctor not having properly monitoring your dosage levels. That stinks! Most responsible docs would see a red flag when their patient seems to have a high tolerance for this type of drug. The red flag is when one requires steadily increasing doses, which your post seems to indicate.

Didn't your docs, while in ICU, give you something mild to help your withdrawal symptoms? I'd think it would be more stressful for your heart to go through cold-turkey w/o some help. That must have been awful!

I've tried three meds before I started Dex approx. 7 yrs. ago. Tiny dosages help me throughout the day as I have a very low tolerance to meds. My daily dosage is 2.5 mgs (a ridiculously tiny amount) about every 2.5 hrs or so. That is, if I remember to take them. And I have rarely taken five doses a day. However, after 20 yrs of drinking decaf coffee, four yrs ago I began to crave regular coffee (caffeine, a stimulent). Probably about the time my mom came to live with us, and three months later she was dx w/cancer. I was her caretaker until she died 20 months ago. Still cannot tolerate 100% regular...ratio I make up is 60% decaf and 40% decaf.

Are you taking anything now for ADD?

I hope you're doing well now

Sincerely,

marlene
[/FONT]

Closed Thread