It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 05:39 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User
Question How to get son tested for adhd????

My 5 yr old has seen counsilors,pediatrician,and will have a behavior test done May 6th. He is impulsive,has symptoms similar to ODD. I talked to the ladies who will do the behavior test and they don't test for adhd or any type of disease.
I took him to his dr and she said he was typical 5 yr old. The only problem is he is borderline of being asked not to return to his preschool. He hits...pushes....and doesn't follow directions. When the other kids are listening to a story he wanders the room. The teachers try to just keep and eye on him because if they try to force him where everyone is sitting he kicks and screams. He will tell them to shut up even though right from the time he and his older brother could talk we told them that was a swear word. I tried the reward system and he doesn't care too much for that. He's good for the first few minutes them "forgets" about our deal. Can anyone make a recommendation as to where we go from here....

Old 04-25-2004, 06:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User
Re: How to get son tested for adhd????

hi there

I am sorry you are having trouble finding support for your 5 year old. My now 4 year old nephew had been kicked out of 4 daycare centers for biting, aggression, not listening, etc. before my sister got help for him. Fortunatly at the time, he was young enough to qualify for the local early intervention program(ages birth -3) but they reccommended her to take him to a neurologist, who did diagnos him with ADHD/PDD. He takes medication for the aggression and is in a developmental preschool and is doing great. He has a long road, but getting him help and having a name for his problems has helped everyone. Ny nephew has improved a lot in a year.

From another perspective, i am also a preschool teacher (4s and 5s) Many children in my class were displaying behavior like your son and i found that many of the children improved when there were consequences at home. They would tell their child what they expected of the child at school and be very firm and what the conseqence would be. All of the children i have mentioned have improved their behavior in some ways. There are 3 I am still concerned about that I see impulsive unfocused behavior and those children will probably be tested for special ed as they present these behaviors in kindergarten.

You may also want to consider putting your child in a daycare with smaller ratios(more teachers, less kids) or in a private home care situation. My nephew is just not daycare material, yet does very well in a home program that he goes to after his half day developmental preschool.

YOur child may be typical in many ways, as the doctor states, but he could not possibly notice your childs behavior problems in a quick office visit. ADHD and PDD both have pattern type behavior that you may only notice if you are around the child alot.

Good luck and hope this hellllps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 04:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

Yes I think he would also be helped in a smaller daycare center. The unfortunate problem is they have around a 3-4 month if not longer at some places waiting list. Or the fee is too high. He is seeing the Early Intervention people for his behavior. That evaluation will be May 6.
He sees a speech therapist thru the same system. We live outside the bigger school district so all the great UPK or other programs are not available to us. I had him on the Headstart waiting list since last year but based on our income we don't qualify. We are by far NOT rich.Both my husband and I have to work. I'm hoping if he qualifies for the behavior and speech services he can go to the special needs preschool. I know this isn't working.

Last edited by heddy73; 04-26-2004 at 04:11 AM.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI again

Can you afford private therapy? Or can you get him to a pediatric neurologist on your own? Also there are some really good books out about things to help your child. I am not a parent so I only have so much info in this area. I have worked with children with special needs before and have seen every intervention from behavior modification to medication, different things work for different kids. Is it possible you can locate your local college and find a babysitter or 2 who can come to your home and provide childcare for a low cost? When i was in college, i babysat for a 3 year old with autism and used many things i learned in school (sped. major) to work with the child. I learned a lot and he got good care from me. I was able to use this parent as a reference later when applying at a special needs school.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:51 AM   #5

LeslieinMI HB User

Heddy ..

Your son sounds much like mine at the same age. Right down to the "forgetting" about deals or punishment. D's mind simply moved to fast and he couldn't retain what we had just talked about. He would repeat his behavior over and over again.

First off, don't let people make you feel like a bad parent. They don't know what goes on with your son 24 hours a day. The fact that you are seeking extra help here tells me that you are doing your best to be a good Mom. Second, seek family counseling somewhere that has a pshychriatrist on staff to perscribe medication if needed. Even with a diagnosis and medication, ADD or ADHD needs counsel to help everyone understand and learn new ways to deal with issues and know how to handle them better.

I found that speaking to my son in a very calming manner away from distractions helped us communicate about his behaviors. Instead of telling him what was bad and wrong (which makes him think that therefore he must be bad) I focused on expressing things as making choices, good or bad. Overall, the calmer I stay, the calmer he stays.

Good Luck

Old 05-11-2004, 08:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

if your son is in school the school guidance couselor can arrange to have him tested there is no cost thru the schools

Old 05-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

My son did have his evaluation last week and it was thru the school district. He starts(hopefully) kindergarten in the fall. It was free to us. But the evaluator said he was not add or adhd. He scored high on the agression part and slightly high on the attention part. Other than that he scored normal for his age. She did test his IQ and he scored higher than average on that. I'm wondering if he may not just be a little bored. But the aggression is bothering me. He takes BeCalm'd supplement and it has helped alot. He has been on it for 2 months and everyone has noticed a great change.

Last edited by heddy73; 05-14-2004 at 06:54 PM.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #8

heathsmom HB User

Hi heddy! I accidentally found these boards yesterday, and since my son has recently be diagnosed with adhd, I was reading all kinds of things, but you really hit home with me. Your son sounds exactly like mine. Heath will be 5 in July, and has been remove from his former daycare. We went through all kinds of evaluations. We had evaluations through the school district, but in our state, they only evaluate for learning disabilites. Their evaluation determined him 25% delayed in fine motor skills (writing, coloring, cutting). I kinda knew this, but wanted to get a professional opinion. We also are seeing a counselor, who referred us to a large mental health facility in Pittsburgh, PA. We were seen by a counselor specializing in children under 5. From the information provided by the school district, informtion from questions asked us, and his observation, he did determine Heath adhd with a disruptive disorder. Two weeks ago we had another evaluation with a psychologist with a wraparound service.

As of right now, Heath has been on Strattera for 6 weeks. It seems to be helping some, but I don't think it's quite the right dosage yet. We started at the 18 mg, once a day. He did throw-up a couple times, and occasionally will say his stomach hurts or he has a headache, but there has been no real change in appetite. He has always had problems falling asleep at night. After about 2 1/2 weeks this seemed to have been helped, but for about the last couple of weeks we are right back to where we started.

Please let me know what you are doing and how things are going.

Closed Thread