It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #1

septrax HB User
How bad can adderall really be for you if you don't have a perscription?

Can adderal be real bad for you if you take it and it's not perscribed to you? This lady i work for gave one to me for energy and i noticed it helped my anxiety but i have been taking it now off and one for the past 2 mon. is this really dangerous to my health? Iv'e also noticed lately when it wears off i start to feel dizzy and i get piercing head achs and back achs. any info would be great thanx.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
Inactive

norat HB User
Re: How bad can adderall really be for you if you don't have a perscription?

Adderall is actually speed, as in "speedfreak." Your boss could go to jail for giving you that pill. But, at the moment you accepted it and took it you "did drugs." So I would keep it on the downlow. However, since I myself am a person (thus I know how they think, justify and reason) I'm relatively certain you knew what was happening was wrong at the moment you decided to swallow the pill - right?

My advice is don't do it - speed is really bad because it's an unnatural shortcut. In ADD it corrects an brain chemical imbalance, but if your brain is working properly and you still take it it affects you like any other drug would. For everything there is a price. Life has a balance we get tired for a reason, maybe we develop character or maybe our bodies create (as of now) unknown brain chemicals important for life. If you take a pill to stay awake soon you'll take a pill to go to sleep. Somewhere in all that you, as a person, will lose something that you will never get back.

And the lesson your brain will learn is "I need drugs to survive."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #3

tri_lingual_one HB User

I agree with what has been said above. Adderal is a controlled substance that speeds up your metabolism. After it wears off your body will be very worn out since your metabolism is already normal. Those of us with ADD who take adderal feel enough side-effects. Don't endanger your body with the risk of addiction.

Old 06-09-2004, 12:00 AM   #4

alltheanswers HB User

Well I might as well jump in on this as well. I totally agree with the others. If they haven't convince you, maybe this will. Adderall is a stimulant combination used to treat ADHD as I'm sure you already know since you posted this question on this board. It can has SERIOUS side effects if you take it incorrectly - like most other controlled substances.

1. First of all, the amount of dosage has to be carefully monitored and adjusted. There's a big difference between taking 5 mg, 10 mg, 15 mg, or 30 mg.
2. Taking over the counter meds like simple cold medicines can have serious side effects with adderall like increased heart rate and blood pressure (one reason for your sharp heahaches probably).
3. If you like drinking regular cafeine products like pops, coffee, or tea, be afrraid - BE VERY AFFRAID as this only increased the side effects.
4. Just a taste of the side effects (some which you are already experiencing) is: dry mouth, upset stomach, nausea, diarreha, loss of appetite and weight, constipation, nervousness, restlessness, dizziness, or difficulty sleeping.
5. If you are experiencing these next side effects, you need to see a doctor immediately: (again you are experiencing some of these) vomiting, stomach pain, fever, unusal weakness or tiredness, severe headaches, or change in sexual ability or desire, unusually fast heartbeat (possible heart attack here), mental/mood changes, blurred vision, uncontrolled muscle movements, chest pains.
6. The mood swing change you are probably experiencing when the medicine starts wearing off is called rebound. If you don't take the right amount of dosage, this rebound effect can be very bad health-wise for you. In layman's term, your body is basically ******** off that it ain't getting this drug any longer so your brain let you know about it in a very physical way - much like withdrawal symtoms of cocaine or heroine.
7. There hasn't been enough research in the area of the long term effects of continually taking this drug for a very long time as this is too new but you can bet that it ain't going to be good. The body has a way of knowing when it's being tricked into doing something unnatural and eventually, it finds out and let's you have it!!!
8. You just can't start/stop a drug like this. When you come off a drug like this, it must be done gradually until the body gets use to the smaller and smaller dosages.

I know this because my daughter is takin this for ADHD and when she experienced some of these side effects, we had to immediately change the dosage amount or prescribe other meds to counteract these side effects. The chest pains she was experiencing were so severe that she would walk bent half way over in school and they had to send her home several times.

My advice will be the same as the others have already said. Find another way to boost your matabalism in a natural way. There are many other safer things to take for more energy. Adderall is NOT one of them!

Closed Thread