It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #1

Lisabeags HB User
Talking Does Adderall make your mouth raw?

i have been taking adderall for 2 1/2 months now[XR 30 mg] and my mouth and throat have been so raw! it feels sometimes like i have canker sores inside my mouth. i know it is the adderall that causes it, but is it just me??
i would switch, but the positives of this med def. outweigh the negative.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:51 PM   #2

schnebbles HB User
Re: Does Adderall make your mouth raw?

I have noticed this horribly lately. I started on Adderall in January and it took probaby 4 months for the horrible dry mouth/raw tongue feeling to start.

Other than drinking lots of water, which I do, (I don't go anywhere without water), is there any help?

I'm going to ask the doc next time I call for a refill. I can't believe how bad it gets.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 04:09 AM   #3

Lisabeags HB User

thanks! did you ever get a chance to ask your doctor? i am beginning to realize that every time my dosage goes up, the problem gets worse. it must be because i am so amped at the beginning of my new dosage i am grinding and biting.

i think you are right about drinking more water...

Old 08-14-2004, 09:42 AM   #4

Tragic Comic HB User

It is so funny. Until I read your post and the replies, I didn't make the connection whatsoever to Adderall. My mouth doesn't feel raw necessarily, but it does feel as if I've got cotton mouth and I have to constantly drink something. I've only been taking 20mg of XR for a little over a month, so I just chalked it up to the summer heat.

My issue with Adderall so far is how it is affecting my sleep. I've always been one who can't seem to "turn my brain off" at night, so I have the TV on. Pre-Adderall, I would eventually fall asleep and stay that way. Now, not only do I have trouble getting to sleep (I was up until 6:30am last night/this morning), but if I do get to sleep and wake up even for a second, I can't get back to sleep.

I'm curious to see what others have to say about the dry mouth issue, so thanks for the posting!

Tragic Comic

Old 08-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

I don't really think there is anything you can do to get rid of the cotton mouth.I drink probably a gallon of water a day to help it but it still dehydrates me to the point where i'm even constipated.So drink more water,and as for sleeping,take some benedryl and take Adderall early in the morning so you're not still tweaked out by the time you are ready to go to sleep.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #6

schnebbles HB User

I didn't ask the doc yet, I called the other day and they were out.

I had an idea tho, and you guys might be able to answer this - I have generic (30mg) and I am about out, I was going to try the non-generic and see if it made any difference at all.

My co-pay will be $30 vs $10, but it would be worth it. I took all last week off because I just couldn't stand it, but found my mind wandering everywhere during the day.

I had the problem sleeping at first, but that quickly went away. I have no trouble sleeping now.

Do you guys have generic or "real" adderall?

Most likely the brand name won't be any different, but I thought I'd try it before I go see doc. To me, the adderall works well. Tried Ritalin LR but didn't like as well.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:06 PM   #7

Lisabeags HB User

def., Tragic Comic. make sure to take early in the morning. i am a bartender so "early in the morning" is 11am for me. if you're one who doesn't like to take medicine to alleviate meds, just be patient because i got my normal sleping patterns after 3 months. otherwise, benedryl is probably the safest way to go.

i guess nobody has the cankar sore prob? i have such an oral fixation that maybe i'm a bit more intense in this dept. i do know for sure, however, that it's def. coming from the adderall.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 PM   #8

Tragic Comic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles
I had the problem sleeping at first, but that quickly went away. I have no trouble sleeping now.

Do you guys have generic or "real" adderall?

Most likely the brand name won't be any different, but I thought I'd try it before I go see doc. To me, the adderall works well. Tried Ritalin LR but didn't like as well.
I was on the generic when I was taking two 10mg a day, but they don't make (as far as I know) a generic for XR, so I'm on the brand name now. I've actually just taken my first break from it (three days now) and it's been good for sleep so far.

Tragic Comic

Old 08-17-2004, 10:53 PM   #9

Tragic Comic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisabeags
def., Tragic Comic. make sure to take early in the morning. i am a bartender so "early in the morning" is 11am for me. if you're one who doesn't like to take medicine to alleviate meds, just be patient because i got my normal sleping patterns after 3 months. otherwise, benedryl is probably the safest way to go.

i guess nobody has the cankar sore prob? i have such an oral fixation that maybe i'm a bit more intense in this dept. i do know for sure, however, that it's def. coming from the adderall.
I have four kids, so I am up pretty early. I usually take it between 6 and 7am and I was still having trouble sleeping...

Sorry, haven't had the cankar sore issue (thankfully).

Tragic Comic

Old 08-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #10

Wondering25 HB User

I have noticed that since I have been on it, I guess about 3 months now, I am constantly biting my bottom lip. It drives me nuts!!! Every day I start around noon I guess, no matter when I take my adderall. I never used to do this in the past, so it is driving me crazy. I do it without even realizing it. I definetly think it is a side effect of the adderall. Anyone else experience this?

Old 08-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #11

kristy lee HB User

my nephew takes Adderal for ADHD and he gets canker sores, too. Maybe there is something acidic in the medicine.....I don't know. My sister tried something called cankermelts on the cankersore and it went away right away

Old 08-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #12

schnebbles HB User

Kristy - like your username!

I bite my lips too, the other night my boyfriend goes, what are you doing all the time??? I said it is the dry mouth, and he said I do it alot, and if he notices so do other people.

How strange!

I'm not sure what to think, all I know is I can't stand it.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #13
Inactive

norat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles
Kristy - like your username!

I bite my lips too, the other night my boyfriend goes, what are you doing all the time??? I said it is the dry mouth, and he said I do it alot, and if he notices so do other people.

How strange!

I'm not sure what to think, all I know is I can't stand it.
It's the same reason ravers used to suck on pacifiers (not something I recommend unless you can do the whole candy look.)

If that made no sense you're too old :-) Chewing gum is what I use.

Old 08-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #14

schnebbles HB User

I must be too old then!! I chew lots of gum, began buying the 3pk at the grocery store vs one at a time now.

Old 08-22-2004, 04:27 PM   #15
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

Too old or not a druggie.You're on prescription amphetamines; that is why you have cotton mouth and are bitting your lips and cheeks.Taking Ecstasy,or street amphetamines does the same thing to you.Canker sores can be caused by being run down,i.e being strung out on drugs,not sleeping or eating well or by an injury to your gums or cheeks.(i.e biting)
I know when i take Adderall i don't eat very much and it puts a strain on my body.This is why i don't take it everyday.

Last edited by greenfairy84; 08-22-2004 at 04:34 PM.

Closed Thread