It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 03:37 PM   #1

SnappDragon HB User
Unhappy Concerta

I have been on Concerta for 2 years now and I am trying to go off of it to see if it is interferring with my thoughts I am having. I am having trouble staying off of it for 1 day. I get all confused and anxious, I feel as I can not function right my mind is scrammbled. My thinking is all jumbled and messed up. When I take my pill I am fine and everything is normal. I am wondering if it is the Prozac I am also on that is making me have these horrible dreams and thoughts of dying and giving me panic attacks. I would rather cut down on the dose of Prozac then get rid of my Concerta. Is it possible to get addicted to Concerta and if so how can I ever get off of it if I needed too for a day without freaking out.
HELP IN NEED
SnappDragon

Last edited by SnappDragon; 07-09-2004 at 03:39 PM.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #2

SpeisFamily HB User
Lightbulb Re: Concerta

My daughter, who is 9, has been on medications for ADHD since she was 4 and this summer I took her off of her Concerta and she had terrible withdrawls that lasted for about 2 weeks. She was shaking and very jumbled, she didn't even know what she was saying before she would say things. But after about 2 weeks I haven't noticed much of a change from when she was on her meds except that she is a lot happier and has to be reminded a couple more times to do things. Often I ask her to count to 10 and take a deep breath and that helps her to focus. I hope this helps answer some of your questions. You can do this without drugs but it will take alot of control on your part to stop and focus on what is going on.

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 07-09-2004 at 04:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: Concerta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappDragon
I have been on Concerta for 2 years now and I am trying to go off of it to see if it is interferring with my thoughts I am having. I am having trouble staying off of it for 1 day. I get all confused and anxious, I feel as I can not function right my mind is scrammbled. My thinking is all jumbled and messed up. When I take my pill I am fine and everything is normal. I am wondering if it is the Prozac I am also on that is making me have these horrible dreams and thoughts of dying and giving me panic attacks. I would rather cut down on the dose of Prozac then get rid of my Concerta. Is it possible to get addicted to Concerta and if so how can I ever get off of it if I needed too for a day without freaking out.
HELP IN NEED
SnappDragon
Sounds like you've developed a severe dependancy, aka the physical part of addiction, on Concerta. When you don't take it, withdrawals kick in immediately. The other poster's daughter is a good example too.

Now, Prozac is an SSRi. SSRi's can cause anxiety and panic (serotonin is an excitatory neurotransmitter) and effects the dream cycle of sleep. So I'd say the Prozac is to blame for the dreams and panic. The Concerta is causing withdrawals when you miss a pill.

What to do? Well, I'm no doctor, but doctors are what got you in this mess, so I'm not sure if you should consult one....they may just slap another mental disorder label on you (I don't believe ADD should be classed a mental disorder either but it is).

If the Concerta isn't causing any ill effects when you are on it at this time (long term use linked to depression and other health problems), then perhaps you can stick with it and slowly, I mean slowly, taper off the Prozac if you prefer that. If that goes well, later on maybe a taper off Concerta since long term use can cause problems.

But if tapering off Prozac causes any deep depression or suicidal thoughts, best to go to an addicitionologist for some help. Tapering off these types of drugs can be very hazardeous, so proceed with caution and get medical help if needed. I mean, some don't have as hard of a time getting off, but you can't be sure so take no chances with yourself. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #4

SnappDragon HB User

First off I want to Thank You both for answering my post. I can kinda of see what is happening now. I have tried for 3 days to go off Concerta and no such luck. Bad Headaches and very dizzy and in a foggy, fuzzy world without it. I will let my DR who I trust dearly she is so good and now that I think that Prozac is the bad one that is causing my thoughts and Anxiety I will let her know that I want to taper down on it from 40mg to 20mg like she said. What are the long term problems invovling on being on Concerta a long time? I know now that Concerta is not to Blame and these thoughts and dreams didn't really start until a few weeks after my Prozac was upped from 30mg to 40mg. I will be sure to let you all know what happens. I called the DR today and I go on Tuesday to talk to my Social Worker I will then stop by and see if the Phychrist got my message. Thank You and if any one else knows of anymore information please post it to me all is so very helpful.

Old 07-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #5

SpeisFamily HB User

The long term affects of Concerta on my daughter were many and varied such as kidney stones, depression, anger just to name a few.

Closed Thread