It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 09:28 PM   #1

cutetexan HB User
Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respond!

Ok...here is the thing. I started taking strattera no so long ago. The first week was amazing, it really made me focus and concentrate like never b4. But now, for some reason it just seems that it lost it's effectiveness. Did anyone experience that? I am thinking about asking my shrink for Ritalian or Concerta or whatever, but I heard they are only prescribed to kids and not to adults. I have heard few instances about adults taking amphetamines but apparently docs are often reluctant to prescribe it. Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine medication? If so, how did you get it? Thanks!

Old 07-15-2004, 05:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respond!

There are several adults here on this board taking stimulants for their ADD. It is true that *some* docs are reluctant to prescribe them for adults, but that is definitely changing.

I wonder how long you've been on the Strattera. It took my son a full 2 - 3 months to see full effect. You may need to give it a little while longer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
(male)

eddie300 HB User
Re: Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respond!

I'm a 32 yo male. I took Strattera for about 5 months and did not benefit. I am now taking Adderall XR, and I am not experiencing any side-affects. Adderall is very effective for me ( without it, I am sure I would have been fired from my job.... ) But I am still working on keeping things simple in my life and focusing in general..... This drug can be addictive and may not be right for you. My doc prescribed this to me after I asked him to, but he still wants me to see my therapist, which is cool, I need help sorting things out....Talk to your doc, tell him/her you just want to try something different. Take care !
Eddie

Old 07-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #4

Ringbill HB User
Re: Is anyone here an adult taking amphetamine (i.e: Ritalian) for ADHD? Please respo

I am a 30 yo male who has been on adderall instant release and now adderall xr for about 2 months. The side effects are bad for me - mainly sleeplessness and dry mouth. It has most certainly improved my life but I have high blood pressure and may have to give it up to keep the BP low.

Ringbill

Old 07-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #5

Suecat3 HB User

I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, and I've only taken stimulant (i.e. amphetamine) medications for it. I first tried Ritalin, but didn't like the way it made me feel, so my doc prescribed Dexedrine. It's been really wonderful, with few side effects (mainly a loss of appetite that corrected itself after I'd been on the medication for a little while). If you feel that Strattera isn't working-and you may just need to give it awhile longer, as someone above said-talk to your doc; they're there to help you. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
Inactive

pufnstuf77 HB User

i am 26 and i take adderall 10mgz 4 times a day. ritalin is not an amphetamine. it is a stimulant too, but half as potent as adderall. adderall is half as potent as dexedrine. If you really do have ADD, then i'm sure the doctor will give it to you.....amphetamines should be a last resort. maybe increase the strattera? pz.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
Inactive

memehegan HB User

[The thing is my whole family is shades of add and adhd. My understanding is straterra is more for concentration and ritilin dexadrine are more for impulse control hyperactivity. For some people hyperactivity is not even touched with the straterra. -meme

Old 09-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
(female)

animalluvr77 HB User

I have recently been diagnosed with ADD and my doc just put me on Adderall this week. I am 26yr old female. I am hoping for a really good out come, I am just worried about any long term side effects. I don't really know too much about this. So if anyone else does I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Beth

Old 09-14-2004, 07:33 PM   #9

schnebbles HB User

I wonder how different Dexedrene is from Adderall? Do you know?
I was taking adderall and the dry/raw mouth got so bad, I basically had to quit. I was going to try real adderall, vs generic - still might but I don't think it will help.

I guess I should read about dexedrene and maybe call doctor and see if she will switch me.

I just wondered if it's similar and might very well have the same side effect.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:16 AM   #10
Inactive

norat HB User

I think there is cross-tolerance between Ritalin and Adderall. I just finished 5 days off, I didn't have any problems (other then I really wanted my meds ;-P )

I drank a lot of cranberry juice to clean my urinary track out, and took magnesium, zinc and B vitamins.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Ritalin is a STIMULANT but not an AMPHETAMINE.

Dex/Adderall are amphetamines, Ritalin is Methylphenidate.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 09-16-2004, 04:32 AM   #12
Inactive

memehegan HB User

My biggest issue with dexadrine or dexstrostat is that -first of all when I began it, it knocked me out cold- had to take it at bedtime for a couple of months- an unusual response I am told- -also benadryl doesnt make me groggy-I switched to ritilin sl because I crashed everyday when dexadrine wore of- usually as I was coming home to manage the homework scene with my autisitic son and fix dinner. other than the crashes every four hours I loved it- well ok now I am remember one other side effect- we live in upstate timbuck two- and for what ever reason pharmacies sometimes have difficulty getting and stocking these drugs - can take 2-5 days- and you cant just take a break from dexstrostat- your head swells up like the worst college hang over you could ever remember- I have high blood pressure as well and if I missed a dose my blood pressure shot up through the roof- also unusual I think. If its a weekend and I only 8 hours of medication instead of 12 it is easy to do and if I cant get my ritilin I can function manageably on lots of caffine - no head aches! -meme

Old 09-17-2004, 08:06 AM   #13
(female)

jennilee56621 HB User

I've been on Adderall for 3 years. I experienced dry mouth at first until my body got used to the meds. Currently, I switch back and forth between generic and brand name--depending on whether the DAW box is checked or not(dispense as written)in the corner of my Rx. I urge you to try the brand name. The dry mouth doesn't seem quite as severe with it. also, when I use generic my ears feel like they are filled with water filled with water and I get weird little tics. No matter what the pharmacist says, there is a difference between generic and brand names!!! Don't let them fool you. I've done my research. Hope this helps!!!

Old 09-17-2004, 08:20 AM   #14
(female)

LaurieCrochets HB User

I am 37 and take Ritalin for ADHD. I cannot remember how long it has been, but more than 5 years. I don't get dry mouth from Ritalin. Have you tried Ritalin, or did you start right off on Adderall?

Old 09-18-2004, 04:15 PM   #15

brainf0g HB User

For tolerance issues you first have to find your 'correct' dosage by titrating (starting with a small amount and keep adding to it). If you're not on the correct dose, the ineffectiveness occuring after a few days isn't tolerance.

After you find your correct dose and if you find that *some* tolerance 'sets in' after a period of months/years, and you haven't had any growth or hormonal changes (which can alter your correct dose), you can either take a few days off every once and a while, or add in an NMDA receptor antagonist like Memantine.

Many people are having great results with taking both a NE/DE reuptake inhibitor with a small dose of a stimulant. I've had great results taking 400mg of Wellbutrin SR and between 5-10mg of Adderall XR.

If you're considering taking an MAO-B inhibitor, look into selegiline.

Last edited by brainf0g; 09-19-2004 at 05:11 AM.

Closed Thread