It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

angerfillsme HB User
Thumbs up Does Adderall make you feel weird?

It's hard to describe, I've noticed that I go through this brief period after taking my meds. that I'm tired, or not as peppy, or maybe out of it? I'm not even sure if it is the adderall but I just started it last week. The other thing that I'm aware of and am sure is b/c of meds. is I don't eat as much, and sometimes I can feel hungry but I just don't feel like eating like I normally do. So my doc told me I may have to force myself to eat more.

The medicine has improved my focus greatly, and fidgeting. The only thing is I do certain things that I don't think has anything to do with my ADD but rather with OCD. I've mentioned this early on to my doc and he wasn't sure about it b/c his specialty is ADD, not OCD. I'll do things with my hands and it'll be kinda repititious and have a sort of rythym to it. For example, twiddling or rubbing my thumb against my fingers especially when I'm anxious, drumming my hands against my legs, etc. I have no idea if this makes any sense to anyone, but if it does let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Inactive

PAmermaids HB User
Re: Does Adderall make you feel weird?

I am on adderral, i have noticed, i think, that my OCD has gotten a little worse since starting the adderral, i am on nothing for OCD as it was mild, so i never mentioned it to my therapyst. i am going to the doctor tomorrow to find out why i might be feeling this way, if i need meds for OCD. i will post what i find out....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

angerfillsme HB User

Great, lots alot for your feedback. Let me know how it works out.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

I've noticed this too (the drowsiness) for like the first couple of hours before it kicks in and makes me alert; I feel like I could go lay down and take a nap the first couple of hours.I thought maybe this was from opening up the time release capsule and exposing it to air or something like that tho.....because the first day i took a 30 mil I was bouncing off the walls and didn't experience the drowsy feeling until i opened up the pill and took like half of it only.As for OCD,I don't doubt that it would make it worse.I don't have OCD but if I take Adderall and am not studying on it I end up organizing my closets,drawls,cabinets,etc and everything thing else there is around or take my computer apart and start playing with things as I did the other night,but it was something my Lazyas* needed to do anyway,just had no motivation before I took the Adderall.

Old 08-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerfillsme
It's hard to describe, I've noticed that I go through this brief period after taking my meds. that I'm tired, or not as peppy, or maybe out of it? I'm not even sure if it is the adderall but I just started it last week. The other thing that I'm aware of and am sure is b/c of meds. is I don't eat as much, and sometimes I can feel hungry but I just don't feel like eating like I normally do. So my doc told me I may have to force myself to eat more.

The medicine has improved my focus greatly, and fidgeting. The only thing is I do certain things that I don't think has anything to do with my ADD but rather with OCD. I've mentioned this early on to my doc and he wasn't sure about it b/c his specialty is ADD, not OCD. I'll do things with my hands and it'll be kinda repititious and have a sort of rythym to it. For example, twiddling or rubbing my thumb against my fingers especially when I'm anxious, drumming my hands against my legs, etc. I have no idea if this makes any sense to anyone, but if it does let me know.
Amphetamines have been linked to OCD or worsening of it. All that drumming, repititious movement is also related to amphetamines like Adderall, described in the side effects as dyskinesia.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:40 AM   #6
Inactive

PAmermaids HB User
Arrow Re: Does Adderall make you feel weird?

so the fam doc said maybe have to put me on something for the OCD but i should talk to my therapyst bout it, cuz he said that is the most effective treatment (therapy)...so she (me therapyst) said maybe anxiety meds, so I should ask the psychiatrist? well i still have to see the psychiatrist and find out what he thinks i should do....sheesh

Last edited by bethymarie; 08-25-2004 at 02:42 AM.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethymarie
so the fam doc said maybe have to put me on something for the OCD but i should talk to my therapyst bout it, cuz he said that is the most effective treatment (therapy)...so she (me therapyst) said maybe anxiety meds, so I should ask the psychiatrist? well i still have to see the psychiatrist and find out what he thinks i should do....sheesh
Oh great, Adderall worsens or creates OCD so they use tranquilizers/anti-anxiety meds to counter that....So they are Medicating the Medication. More drugs, more side effects, more problems, future health and well being at stake...but then, why should they care, it's not their bodies or brains.

Oh well, good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:30 PM   #8

ADDsubtract HB User

Just as guess here, but does OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

Old 08-27-2004, 01:25 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDsubtract
Just as guess here, but does OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
Yes, you are correct.

Closed Thread