It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 12:23 PM   #1

crazygirl32 HB User
Why is my husband so frustrated?

My husband is 40 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD when he was a child. He gets frustrated really easy and doesn't have alot of patience, he is on strattera and has been for a few months now.. he says it helps him but he has been getting frustrated more here lately and depressed.. any help for that or is it common even with the medication?

Old 08-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Why is my husband so frustrated?

What does he get frustrated doing? Wow...can't type today...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygirl32
My husband is 40 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD when he was a child. He gets frustrated really easy and doesn't have alot of patience, he is on strattera and has been for a few months now.. he says it helps him but he has been getting frustrated more here lately and depressed.. any help for that or is it common even with the medication?
I don't know about the frustration part but Strattera can cause mood, sleep and fatigue problems.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:26 AM   #4

crazygirl32 HB User

What other add medication would you suggest him to try? He is going back to his doctor this coming Thursday.. to explain to him all the problems he is experiencing. I am just worried about him. He says that he gets frustrated at little things that don't matter that much to other people.. he takes it really personal.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
What other add medication would you suggest him to try? He is going back to his doctor this coming Thursday.. to explain to him all the problems he is experiencing. I am just worried about him. He says that he gets frustrated at little things that don't matter that much to other people.. he takes it really personal.
I really can't say, because it seems all ADD drugs have these adverse effects on mood and sleep.

I don't know if it will do much good to talk to the doctor. Doctors only seem to want to prescribe something or find some catch all answer when confronted with someone who isn't having the success that others sometime get witht the meds, although that success is only temporary, with eventual tolerance or adverse effects to the meds, various health problems, etc., even if they take it for years.

I could guess that his doctor will suggest he has bi-polar or OCD or just some mood disorder in addition to his ADD, if in fact that doctor feels pressed for more answers by you.

It doesn't mean you husband has those things; again, it's catch all diagnosis. For mood disorders, there are more drugs for that! Ugh. I wouldn't go there.

But maybe he will just suggest an amphetamine drug instead, like Adderall. THis will not be a better choice but standard at any rate. It also can effect moods, usually more severly than Strattera.

My nephew's aggressive, mean moods on Adderall made his parents switch to Strattera, but that made him very fatigued. THey finally stopped all meds and used some patience; the new teacher that year also payed closer attention to him and now it seems school isn't a problem anymore.

Many are finding results with DHA and EPA fish oils for ADD. No side effects, and also good for one's overall health...

Old 09-02-2004, 08:49 AM   #6

crazygirl32 HB User

Thank you.. It just seems that I am living with 2 different people at times. I am hoping the doctor can give him some answers, if not.. maybe just staying on it a while we will notice a more positive result.. we will see. thank you

Old 09-02-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Thank you.. It just seems that I am living with 2 different people at times. I am hoping the doctor can give him some answers, if not.. maybe just staying on it a while we will notice a more positive result.. we will see. thank you
ADD meds have many adverse health effects so if your husband decides to stay on the Strattera, it's important not to raise the dosage and stay on a small amount to lessen the chance of the adverse health problems. If tolerance develops and the need for a higher dose occurs, best to taper off slowly and try non-med methods.

As far as all the various meds, none are very healthy but Strattera would be the lesser evil.

It seems from what I have read, most psychoactive type meds always change natural sleep patterns, not for the better. Sleep tends to dictate our energy and moods quite a bit!

Because of the mood changes from Strattera, I hope your husband never gets pigeon-holed into the whole bi-polar thing, as many drugs such as stimulants and antidepressants can cause those types of symptoms.... leading to mis-diagnosis and claims of "unmasking" of supposedly previously hidden bi-polar. Don't believe it for a minute.

Good luck, hope things will get better whatever you two decide to do...

Old 09-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #8

crazygirl32 HB User

Thank you.. I think that the doctor has decided that it is his sleeping medicine he is on that is causing him to have these mood swings. I think you are right, staying on a low dose may be better. we are going to continue to try the strattera for a while and see how he reacts to it before completely taking him off of everything. I wonder sometiems if it is truly worth it for him.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Thank you.. I think that the doctor has decided that it is his sleeping medicine he is on that is causing him to have these mood swings. I think you are right, staying on a low dose may be better. we are going to continue to try the strattera for a while and see how he reacts to it before completely taking him off of everything. I wonder sometiems if it is truly worth it for him.

What sleep med is he on? Those are usually not too good either but the mood swings are still typical of Strattera. Sleep meds can cause rebound of calming chemicals, so he could be more anxious or have elevated heart rate as an after-effect. Anxiety/panic attacks are common rebounds of sleep meds; also, sleep meds cause the brain to stop attempting to create it's own sleep chemicals after awhile and sometimes cause creation of opposing receptors in attempt to keep the brain from sucumbing to the sleep chemicals as a defense move by the brain (gradual building of tolerance).

Man, between the sleep drugs and Strattera it's hard to say which is causing the most harm. Is the doc taking him off the sleep med?

If he does, remember, it may take awhile to be able to sleep a full night without them as the brain recovers, so he should be patient about that....unless he gets lucky and regular sleep does return sooner. He should be very slowly tapered off it....like 10% dose cut every two weeks guideline or he may have some severe withdrawals. Slow tapering isn't a guarentee of no withdrawals but it helps and some people may escape severe withdrawal.

I guess if he wants to continue the Strattera for awhile that's ok, especially if he is being taken off the sleep med, as I am sure it's too severe to take one off of too many meds at one time! Hopefully, someday he will also get off the Strattera.

If not, just remember that tolerance is a bad sign of things to come, so if the Strattera does end up working out but then poops out after a few years, I would say don't follow the usual upping the dose because tolerance will come again, and the higher the dosage, the more chances of adverse health effects from the drug.

Good luck, hope he will feel better soon!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:59 AM   #10

crazygirl32 HB User

Thank you for telling me that. He has sleep apnea.. which means he can't sleep well at night so he has to have soemthing or he is up all night.. but he is going to just see how he does with just the strattera for now. He is not going to raise the dosage and just see how he does for a while.. if he has to.. he can take it for a while and then get off it hopefully if he does better. It is so frustrating for me too becuase he is like living with 2 different people. HE is really happy or he is down and quiet. I just know it is the meds and try to be patient with him until he can get through this phase of his life.

Thank you for talking to me about this situation. I just don't feel like I have anyone to talk to sometimes.

Thank you.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Thank you for telling me that. He has sleep apnea.. which means he can't sleep well at night so he has to have soemthing or he is up all night.. but he is going to just see how he does with just the strattera for now. He is not going to raise the dosage and just see how he does for a while.. if he has to.. he can take it for a while and then get off it hopefully if he does better. It is so frustrating for me too becuase he is like living with 2 different people. HE is really happy or he is down and quiet. I just know it is the meds and try to be patient with him until he can get through this phase of his life.

Thank you for talking to me about this situation. I just don't feel like I have anyone to talk to sometimes.

Thank you.
Your welcome, I know it's hard to watch a loved one struggle. Has he tried any sleep anea stuff like loosing weight, or surgery for the soft tissue removal in his throat, etc.? Seems sleeping pills forever is not such a good idea.

I know alot about sleep meds cause I developed tolerance to them. I was first given them because of a reaction to some codiene I was taking for an illness.

It took a few years to get natural sleep back after that ordeal, the tolerance I developed was so bad that even the highest dose of the pill did not bring sleep; I'd be awake for days before finally getting 4 hours or so. Now that is all behind me, I sleep pretty good now on my own, but it was terrifying, I'll never forget it.

Anyway, during that course, I did have a sleep test, in which I only slept a little since I had just gotten off pills. The technician mentioned to my husband I had a WAY above average "oxygen exchange", which I think apnea people do not have a good exchange.

I attribute my good oxygen exchange to the fact, well, since I was in my twenties, I regulary work out with weights. I have heard resistance training does wonders for everything in the body, including such oxygen use and also blood flow, mainly because weight training forces blood harder than even aerobic activity.

So when your hubby feels better, perhaps he could get into some of that later? Just a suggestion for the apnea....

Last edited by Jennita; 09-08-2004 at 12:21 PM.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:00 PM   #12

Kimcav HB User

Hi I am Kimcav, I am new to this site. I read about your husband having side effects with strattera, well I also was just recently diagonosed with Adhd and my doctor said that She has alot of patients that have had strattera but for her patients the side effects out weighed the good. I would have your husband go see his doctor again and see if he can't get a medication change.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #13

jetta9502 HB User
Cool Re: Why is my husband so frustrated?

Hi-

I am currently on concerta. And I love it. I have been on it for alomst 30 days and it works really well. My husband can tell the difference, I can tell the difference and my in-laws and tell the difference. I tried straterra and it was horrible. I could not stay awake with that med, It made me sleep most o f the day. Every persons body is different so it might work differently for someone else but it was terrible for me. so see if concerta might work. the only thing with concerta is that its a controlled substance and so its harder. once that the doctor knows that it works for you then he/she can write a script for a longer period of time. let me know.

stephanie

Old 09-17-2004, 12:24 PM   #14

crazygirl32 HB User

well thank you everyone for all your replies!! He has had weight loss surgery, so we know that isn't it now.. although it does help some. I will mention to him about the concerta, and see what he thi nks. it is a stimulant? He says this strattera keeps his mind awake and he feel more calm.. does that do the same for you?? I just feel like I am living with a different person sometimes. He is very quiet and to himslef more since he has been on the strattera. He doesn't seem to talk much or listen.. but he says he likes it except that he has to take sleeping pills to go to sleep. I have told him that isn't good for him.. but he has no choice..has tried everything else.. and this is the only thing that will give me rest at night. Not sure what else to do... so guess we will see what happens but I will mention the concerta.
thank you again! write soon.

Old 09-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #15

ApocMan HB User

Strattera scares me to death, it made me 32 yr's old male and my brother 35 yr's old male become angry Bad!!!! and my brother could have tore somebody apart. Let's put it this way people around him were scared for their lives...

wierd thing is we are very loving, nice, bend over backwards to help somebody type of guys. We both got back on our regualr med's and have been fine.

He takes Ritalin and I take Adderall...

I have contacted by a few adult males who state the anger thing happned to them. they thought it was just them...

I even had a few teenagers tell me it does the same to them....

I HATE Strattera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I

Closed Thread