It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 06:06 PM   #1

feloni HB User
I think I found a way to control my ADD.

It's all about relaxing the eyes.

It's kind of hard to explain, but when I'm in a class I just can't pay attention even though I try HARD. Well that was my problem, trying to hard to concentrate. My doctor told me ADD is actually over-focusing, which means I was doing the exact opposite when trying to concentrate. I was always too focused, always forcing my sight...so what I simply do is relax my eyes until I have more or so a "genral view" of things. This way I don't analyze things so much and I'm 10 times more aware. I've found improvements in my classes, conversations, video games, whatver... Just try to unfocus, do the exact opposite of what you actually think is concentrating. Have you ever noticed that when you don't think about something you're actually better at it?

Look at a picture or some object like you usually would, then try to focus on the WHOLE room...meaning, try to have a general view of things. If you practice this, your whole life perspective will change and things will get simplier. ADDers complicate things by being TOO SPECIFIC, we analyze too much, we wonder too much, we TRY TOO HARD. Try it, you'll have a general perspective of things and your natural instincts will do the rest. I hope you actually understand what I'm saying because it's doing wonders for me. It might feel weird at first, but try to unfocus and relax your eyes...see the results.

Note - I've been suffering with ADD for 19 years and I never took any meds. I struggled with my grades at school and I can't concentrate for ****, I've always knew something was wrong...I'm always thinking too much. It's all about the eyes and perspective. Try relaxing your eyes and have this "general view" until you get used to it. In some way, relay on your other senses other than your vision.

I'd get into its philosophy:
We are sensitive because we understand things, and we are socially more vulnerable. We analyze and force our brain which makes us less aware of our environment. There is a tendency to generalize ADDers as above intelligent or smart, yet I think "wise" is the word. Our world perspective of judging and analyzing things is so big, that it enriches us with different perspectives. So yes, I think ADD has a positive side, we tend to live in our own little world so it gives us dedication to play with our creativity.

So to make it short, UNFOCUS. Relax your eyes, have a general vision, don't force your sight. Do the object example...look at it, then look at it again but this time look at the whole room AND the object.

Second note- there are different types of ADD, so if you believe me...try it first and see the results. You can over-focus all you want, but it is definitely not healthy being like that 24/7. Try to practice different perspectives uitable for your situation.

Last edited by drfeloni; 09-07-2004 at 06:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 10:02 AM   #2

little hamster HB User
Re: I think I found a way to control my ADD.

Hi Drfeloni

Your message is indeed very interesting. Tell you my story, a brief one. I have alot of difficulties in concentration too. It was such an obvious problem since 3years back and my grades dropped alot. When i was younger, i am not sure if i have this problem. But i know i have anxiety often. Then i went to see a doctor and she told me this only appear in children. but i know there is this thing call ADD in adults too. I just simply cannot concentrate in classes. You are right, i do feel that i am really trying too hard to concentrate. I am forcing myself. I get so tense feelings too. And I am so focused that when a person just drop a pen on the table lightly i get distracted and also when a person shifts lightly in the seat i know it too. When a person clear throats softly i can also hear it. When a person make any movements, not the type which is disrupting to normal people, but i will find it disrupting to me. LOL. just simply move your hand by a few inches i know what u are doing? IS this ADD really? See? I have analyzed too much. Am i right? I am not been diagnosed with ADD or taking any medications but i know i feel distracted easily and during classes too hard to concentrate. Even if i could, i can not achieve 100% concentration i think others can. They can do it so easily while i cannot. Quite depressing isn't it.
Anyway your unfocus method to me feel like a bit of a "relaxation technique". I think ADD have something to do with anxiety? So while u relaxe yourself u actually can concentrate better. isn't it? I am quite impressed when u say ADD people are wise and analyze things deeply. You have look at this in a positive view which is a really good!
I hope i will be able to overcome my concentration problems soon and improve my school grades!

Old 09-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #3

Tragic Comic HB User

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. It seems like a simple form of meditation, which I've heard a lot of ADDers use to help calm things down or to get to sleep at night.

It seems that - with or without medication - one of the biggest problems ADDers have (myself included) is realizing when it's happening. I've found that awareness and doing my best to recognize when I'm headed into a "bad loop" help me to change my behavior and focus. I still find myself - after the fact - realizing that I was overfocusing or whatever and I can get down on myself for not catching it in time.

If we can get the clarity to become aware when we are overfocusing (my wife helps me tremendously in that area as a third party), your suggestion - and other types of meditation - could really help some people.

Thanks again,

Tragic Comic

Old 09-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
(male)

chubby772 HB User

I took a program made by a man who is an actual dyslexic.

He talked about focusing a "Mind's Eye" which helps focus one's concentration and brain... its actually all about the mentality of "being focused"; like telling yourself that you ARE focused, and you CAN concentrate.

He also suggested taking sports, doing yoga/pilates, and other exercises. Physical balance apparently has a connection with mental balance.

One of the main things to know is that our disorder makes it harder to maintain focus for a longer period of time. So even if its breaks every 10 minutes between studies, that works. You shouldn't ever overpush it.

Closed Thread