It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #1

danashale HB User
Kids snorting ritilan

Abuse of ADHD meds by kids:
I know there is a big problem with kids abusing ritilan, I guess some snort it. What does it do to them if they do that and can the other meds, such as strattera and focalin, Concerta be abused in this way and give them the same high they are trying to get from ritilan. My son may be going on a med for adhd and I am worried which is the safest as far as abuse. His doc said he didnt think stattera would be a good med for him. Anyone have any info on this.

Thanks,

Dana

Old 09-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #2

Z'sMom HB User
Re: Kids snorting ritilan

Our pediatrician told us the going rate for Ritilan is about $3.00 per pill (not extended release) in the city schools. It gives you the same quick burst that a street amphetamene would (again, Dr's words not mine). The point of snorting it would be to get quicker absorbtion thru the mucus membranes instead of waiting for it to dissolve in the stomach.

Non-stimulant drugs (strattera for example) don't give the buzz but are not thought to work as well for all types of ADHD or ADD as well as stimulant drugs.

If these meds are managed (i.e. not accessible to kids at will and taken under supervision) this shouldn't be an issue for your specific child.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #3
Inactive

norat HB User

The snorting situation is way overblown (yes I have snorted the stuff) the term "high" is not accurate, it doesn't make you high and can in no way be compared with street speed since ritilan is not an amphetamene. It acts like a coffee buzz without the shakes and nervousness. It brings focus to studying and isn't good for much else. When you snort it, or crush it up and apply it to your gums the effects take hold immediatly but they don't last very long.

Old 09-13-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

First off yes it's overblown, compared with street drugs etc. the amount of kids snorting Ritalin is negligible.

Second, Strattera is a non-stimulant so snorting it wouldn't give anyone a kick, a sore nose maybe (since the stuff is hard on the stomach I can't even begin to imagine what it would do to your nose!) but that's it.

Concerta contains the same active ingredient as Ritalin, but in a solid capsule that can't be opened without a mallet, and even then it is in gel form and not possible to prepare in such a way as to be snorted.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 10-26-2004, 04:55 PM   #5

tater962004 HB User

addication is real i know they call it kiddy coke

Old 10-26-2004, 11:39 PM   #6
Inactive

norat HB User

Who calls it kiddie coke? Who says it addictive? Please don't make such reckless statements without medical proof. Are you suggesting I'm addicted because I use Ritalin?

Every single board is the same, the board says it's a "resource for people with ADD" but it always ends up a board where non-add people come to rag on our meds.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #7

Sc@tterBr@in HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater962004
addication is real i know they call it kiddy coke
Addication isn't even a real word

Old 10-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User

To Norat ~*~

How right you are... I don't come here often because the views can be very skewed on meds. and very often uninformed!

For our family it is real, we treat not only ADD, but Epilepsy, Autism, and Sinsory Intergration Dysfunction with both diet control and meds.

We spend tons of time on the research and in the pede neurologists office. We have taken part in FDA approvals for new anticonvulsants with my youngest, so I know first hand the amount of research, data collection and followup that goes into taking a med to market!

Sorry, you are finding it as hard as I am to get good support from others. Please don't judge everyone from your experiances in the past. There are a few supporters out there!

BTW ~ I have 2 children with issues - my 15 yr old dd (ADD, Epilepsy) and my baby who's nearly 3 (Epilepsy, Autism, SID and possible ADD/HD, LDs).

Love and light,

Lisa and kids

Last edited by LisaGuthrie; 10-28-2004 at 06:28 AM.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater962004
i know they call it kiddy coke
"Kiddy coke" is a derogatory term for Ritalin used by those who do not believe that children should be treated with stimulants. These individuals frequently do not even believe in the existence of ADHD. It is not a term that refers to addiction potential.

We do have to accept that Ritalin can be, and is, abused.

The fact is, though, that research has shown that individuals (including children) do NOT become addicted to stimulant medications when they are taken as prescribed. You can read about this here:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/Infofax/Ritalin.html

The other fact shown by research is that medicating children with ADHD actually substantially REDUCES the risk that they will become substance abusers. In one study, 75% of *unmedicated* ADHD boys began substance abuse. The risk for *medicated* ADHD boys was only 25%. The percentage was 18% for boys who do not have ADD. Read this here:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/NIDA_Notes/NNVol14N4/ADHD.html

Rather than argue the topic on an emotional level, lets discuss the facts.

Respectfully submitted,
"Index"

Old 10-28-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
Veteran

LisaGuthrie HB User

Thanks Index,

I was at the office and didn't have access to my research...

Lisa and kids

Old 10-29-2004, 01:41 PM   #11

tater962004 HB User

i have a child with adhd shes five meds help her but i know a few highscool kids that take it and put it up ther nose. i know one thats out of control. it a drug its a controlled substance. to say that its not addication is crazy. any medi you crush and put is your nose can be a problem. and its bigger than you think. its often called wellfaire coke.

just with any drug you cant say its bad because its abused .

Old 10-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #12
Inactive

norat HB User

Addiction is a medical term, if you want to say it's fun then say fun. Ritalin is not addictive. The hysteria about ritalin is fueled by:

A: Holistic loonies who think they can fix ADD with fish-oil. The religious right who think add is "demonic."
B: The people who benifit from "The Drug War" who can't bear to admit a drug might actual help people.

You've been lied to.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:57 PM   #13

Bananafish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by norat
Addiction is a medical term, if you want to say it's fun then say fun. Ritalin is not addictive. The hysteria about ritalin is fueled by:

A: Holistic loonies who think they can fix ADD with fish-oil. The religious right who think add is "demonic."
B: The people who benifit from "The Drug War" who can't bear to admit a drug might actual help people.

You've been lied to.
Anything can be "addictive". You can't deny that certain people develope a strong psychological dependence to Ritalin.

"More, Now, Again" is a good book by Elizabeth Wurtzel about her hopeless addiction to Ritalin and cocaine.

Of course... that doesn't make Ritalin a "bad drug". It's all in how it's used. If people use Ritalin as their doctor prescribes it, then no problem. It DOES help people. But it can hurt them, too.

Just because Ritalin didn't effect you all that much when you snorted it, doesn't mean it effects everybody else the same way.

Last edited by Bananafish; 10-30-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Old 10-30-2004, 05:02 PM   #14
Inactive

norat HB User

Quote:
Anything can be "addictive". You can't deny that certain people develope a strong psychological dependence to Ritalin.

Absolutely it can create a psychological dependence, you need to feel that rush of dopamine, you need to feel up. In that sense anything CAN create a strong chemical bond with the person: a game, sex, skydiving, the internet, Television. But you can stop it without your body going into shock or your Blood Pressure and Heart rate going ballistic.All the bias in this thread can be aimed at adderall and I wouldn't say anything because that's true.

Last edited by norat; 10-30-2004 at 05:03 PM.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
(male)

Master-of-chaos HB User

i am sorry to say i just snorted riddlin like 5 seconds ago (yes i do have ADD, i need it, i have no inpuls controle, and im overly cureous[and i cant spell worth my life]) i dont feel any difent than when i take it normaly and this is and will be the only time i do this any one who does this either doesnt have ADD or they need there dosage downed and they obvously didnt notis that riddlin out of its container tasts like crap

Closed Thread