It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2004, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

twins2sets HB User
How does Concerta affect you? My observations

I started Concerta a couple of months ago. I wasn't sure if it was working or not but now I think it is. Here are my observations (by the way I am taking extended release 54 mg):

1. About a half an hour after I take it I feel happy and optimistic. This must be the euphoric effects. If I could stay like that my whole life it would be SO nice. It only lasts about 1/2 hour. During that time I don't feel drugged (energetic though), I just feel like I'm in a good mood. I'm more talkative and patient with my kids, just an overall feeling of well-being. Too bad it doesn't last! LOL

2. My side effects are:

- A little jitteriness for the first couple of hours

- weight loss (just less hungry), which I admit was a nice perk, but I am 5'7" and now down to 115 which is NOT normal for me, so I am trying to gain weight now.

- insomnia (although that seems to be going away)

- sweating (but I am sweaty person anyway)

- irritability after about 4 pm

3. I have noticed a difference in my ADD symptoms. I used to be overwhelmed from the time I woke up till the time I went to bed. Now, mind you, I have two sets of twins in 2nd and 4th grade. I do have a chaotic life. I am not the most organized person in the world although I try and try (classic ADD). But I couldn't concentrate and every time I was doing anything I would constantly be worried about the 100 other things I had to do. My mind was in 50 places at once and I hated it. This has pretty much stopped, at least during the day. However, I don't have motivation to do much of anything, but I don't really care that much either. So I guess I don't get a lot done. I think it's preferable to being overwhelmed, though. I am also hyperfocusing more (this is SO me....get on kicks where I am OBSESSED with things....current obsession is reading about health issues online - can do this for hours on end). I wish this wasn't happening because it does depress me when I get obsessed and ignore everything else. I still think it's better than being overwhelmed though.

So what are your experiences? Does it affect you the way it affects me? I'm just curious!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 03:00 PM   #2

fuzzybaffy HB User
Re: How does Concerta affect you? My observations

Just to clarify, ADHD medication does not directly help with motivation. It may help indirectly, in that the disappearance of ADHD symptoms during the day may motivate someone to work better, but the medication itself won't improve someone's desire to work better. I learned that the hard way - I thought being on Strattera, Adderall and what have you would improve my grades, but I wasn't working hard enough so I did terribly in my classes!

As far as Concerta goes, I'm taking Ritalin LA, which Concerta is based from (AFAIK), and my day just seems to go a little bit smoother. I'm able to sustain a thought in my head more consistently, and my social skills are better for it. In terms of mood, I've been a bit down lately, but I can't tell if it's the medication or just the normal up and downs of life.

Last edited by fuzzybaffy; 09-26-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #3

lancethechip HB User

Yes, it gives you a quick lift but than fades throughout the day. Although there is a second realease so then I feel something too.

Side effects are right. I'm wondering if it is giving me this Sinusitis though.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

twins2sets HB User

Oh yeah, I also get HORRIBLE dry mouth. If I don't have a drink by my side at all times I am in trouble. Especially when I'm talking a lot...yikes.

About what time do you feel the release kick in? I think I feel that too....I take the medicine at 9:00 am and I think the second lift is around 1:00?

Old 09-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #5

lancethechip HB User

Not really sure, this stuff affects me all day, I take it around 6:30AM. 36mg usually, today 54 just to experiment...I don't really notice a difference.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:32 AM   #6

BB4Real HB User

I just upped my dosage from 36 to 54 and it has been working great. Not a dramatic increase of how it works per say, just not as bad of a crash towards the end of the day. Either way, I think Concerta is better than Ritalin or Adderall as I have tried all 3 for many years now. Concerta just seems to have the most smooth release of the 3.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:33 AM   #7
Inactive

babybrige HB User

Hey all~
I am a 24 year old girl whom has been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD for all my life.. up 7 years old (when I started actually taking meds).. I just started taking Concerta 18mg yesterday... and was wondering what you all have noticed with side effects.. I have been on ritalin, adderall, adderall xr, and now concerta.. and this has been my second day and I was wondering if you all had noticed any good changes or what-not.. or any long-term side effects?? I switched to concerta because adderalll xr was making me very very lethargic and stuff.. and I was having constant rage attacks.. and would literally beat on stuff including myself.. I have noticed any significant weight change or loss yet (maybe because I am on such a low dosage)... but adderall alone and adderall xr made me lose weight drastically.. I went from 120 to 98lbs.. so umm yeh, I was pretty nasty looking but still.. wasnt bad as to now... but then I was put on lexapro and gained like whoa!!! Okay, well, if anyone could get back to me with how concerta effected you physically, emotionally, and socially I would appreciate it, thanks much!~ Take Care!!!~

~Brigette

[ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 10-08-2004 at 09:44 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 10-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Inactive

babybrige HB User

Thanks for replying to my message! That was fast!

Old 10-18-2004, 06:02 PM   #9

Fuzzybrain HB User
Question Re: How does Concerta affect you? My observations

I'm a 40 yr old mom of three boys and my 10 yr old and I were just diagnosed. We are taking Concerta.

Thanks for sharing how it affects you and how it works for you. I started on 27 and took it at 6:30 so I could get going in the morning. I can now actually get up and get going before noon! But other than that I just felt shaky and it seemed to wear off really early 3PM, leaving me grumpy and tired.

Then I went to 36 and it felt no different, and then to 54. I felt like a zombie who could focus on every thought that came head. I could focus,better than I ever have!!! but, I hated the rest of how I felt, (like a robot, no animation, just getting the job done). So, I am trying 45mgs (18mg and a 27mg).

I think it is working. I can focus better than I used to, remember things better and focus on things around me (including my family). Also, I feel more relaxed than I did on the smaller doses, less jittery! My heart feels like it beats a little fast sometimes, but I think that is just a side-effect that should go away in a couple of weeks.

How do I know if this is the right dose? I wonder if I just took the 54 mg too soon and if that is actually a better dose for me? Should I try it again after a couple of weeks at 45mg

Your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated THanks!

Old 10-18-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
Inactive

babybrige HB User
Exclamation Re: How does Concerta affect you? My observations

Hey, thanks for replying to my message.. I also have another question for you as well.. How is your appetite affected once you have started on Concerta?? Like have lost weight, gained weight, increased or decrease in your appetite?? I know adderall made me drop like 30lbs and I was at like 95/98lbs.. so I am just curious as to how much weight you have lsot and what-not?? thanks again~

Brige

Old 10-18-2004, 09:00 PM   #11

Fuzzybrain HB User

I've lost 5bls in two weeks! The funny thing is that due to another medicine I take, rarely got hungry. Now (on the Concerta) I'm hungry and crave protein. I am actually eating better and more than I used to. But, I have energy now and my metabolism seems to have gone up, hence the weight loss. Fortunately, I can safely (and happily) lose 50lbs and just be the heathier for it. I never tried Adderall, but I know it has a bad reputation for causing a lot of weight loss. I hope for your sake the Concerta isn't as hard on you. Good Luck,

Sincerely, Fuzzybrain "I'd count my blessings if only I could remember what they are!"

Old 10-18-2004, 09:11 PM   #12

Fuzzybrain HB User
Smile Re: How does Concerta affect you? My observations

I used to have no appetite due to another medication that I take. Now I am hungry enough that I have to eat atleast three small meals and a couple of snacks a day. I am ADD inatentive type so my metabolism was really sluggish, so even though I eat more now I used to I still have lost 5 lbs in two weeks, BUT then I could easily lose 50 lbs and only be heathier for it. Also, I crave protein, so now I also eat more of it than I used to. My son has lost no weight. I hope this works better for you! I haven't weighted 98lbs since I was 12!

Sincerely, Fuzzybrain "I'd count my blessings if only I could remember where I put them!"

Old 10-19-2004, 05:51 AM   #13
Inactive

babybrige HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybrain
I used to have no appetite due to another medication that I take. Now I am hungry enough that I have to eat atleast three small meals and a couple of snacks a day. I am ADD inatentive type so my metabolism was really sluggish, so even though I eat more now I used to I still have lost 5 lbs in two weeks, BUT then I could easily lose 50 lbs and only be heathier for it. Also, I crave protein, so now I also eat more of it than I used to. My son has lost no weight. I hope this works better for you! I haven't weighted 98lbs since I was 12!

Sincerely, Fuzzybrain "I'd count my blessings if only I could remember where I put them!"
YEH ME TOO, I JUST REALLY AM CONCERNED ABOUT GAINING WEIGHT.... BECAUSE EVER SINCE MY FIRST DAY OF RITALIN IVE LOST WEIGHT AND ALL.... SO I JUST REALLY DONT WANT A MED THAT WOULD MAKE ME GAIN... ANYWAYS, I GOTTA GO SO I WILL TTYL~ TAKE CARE AND THANKS FOR THE REPLIES AGAIN~ I WISH YOU AND YOUR SON BEST OF LUCK IN THE NEAR FUTURE~!!

Old 10-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #14

jsta6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins2sets
I started Concerta a couple of months ago. I wasn't sure if it was working or not but now I think it is. Here are my observations (by the way I am taking extended release 54 mg):

1. About a half an hour after I take it I feel happy and optimistic. This must be the euphoric effects. If I could stay like that my whole life it would be SO nice. It only lasts about 1/2 hour. During that time I don't feel drugged (energetic though), I just feel like I'm in a good mood. I'm more talkative and patient with my kids, just an overall feeling of well-being. Too bad it doesn't last! LOL

2. My side effects are:

- A little jitteriness for the first couple of hours

- weight loss (just less hungry), which I admit was a nice perk, but I am 5'7" and now down to 115 which is NOT normal for me, so I am trying to gain weight now.

- insomnia (although that seems to be going away)

- sweating (but I am sweaty person anyway)

- irritability after about 4 pm

3. I have noticed a difference in my ADD symptoms. I used to be overwhelmed from the time I woke up till the time I went to bed. Now, mind you, I have two sets of twins in 2nd and 4th grade. I do have a chaotic life. I am not the most organized person in the world although I try and try (classic ADD). But I couldn't concentrate and every time I was doing anything I would constantly be worried about the 100 other things I had to do. My mind was in 50 places at once and I hated it. This has pretty much stopped, at least during the day. However, I don't have motivation to do much of anything, but I don't really care that much either. So I guess I don't get a lot done. I think it's preferable to being overwhelmed, though. I am also hyperfocusing more (this is SO me....get on kicks where I am OBSESSED with things....current obsession is reading about health issues online - can do this for hours on end). I wish this wasn't happening because it does depress me when I get obsessed and ignore everything else. I still think it's better than being overwhelmed though.

So what are your experiences? Does it affect you the way it affects me? I'm just curious!!!!!!
I started 36mg of Concerta five days ago. I have already tried it once a while back. Along with Ritalin, Adderal and Strattera.

It may just be my ADD, but I haven't really noticed anything yet.

One thing is for sure, loss of appetite. I never get hungry. I go straight from feeling fine to having a stomach ache from not eating.

I also have a set of twins and two older boys. 6 1/2, 3 1/2 and the twins are 1 1/2.

I also can not concentrate on anything. And I do sometimes think about 100 things that I don't need to or shouldn't be thinking about. But I am taking Lexapro to help with that.

I am never motivated. Most of the time I am sleepy. If not, I just want to lay on the couch. Nothing gets me excited. A freind wanted to take me to a football came last week, and I told him "no" because I just wanted to lay on the couch.

It is hard for me to get to sleep at night becuase I am "thinking about everything".

I do get obsessed on things. If I get hypefocused on something that interestes me, (musclecars) I neglect everything else. I do get depressed when I get obsessed and ignore everything else.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #15
Inactive

babybrige HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybrain
I've lost 5bls in two weeks! The funny thing is that due to another medicine I take, rarely got hungry. Now (on the Concerta) I'm hungry and crave protein. I am actually eating better and more than I used to. But, I have energy now and my metabolism seems to have gone up, hence the weight loss. Fortunately, I can safely (and happily) lose 50lbs and just be the heathier for it. I never tried Adderall, but I know it has a bad reputation for causing a lot of weight loss. I hope for your sake the Concerta isn't as hard on you. Good Luck,

Sincerely, Fuzzybrain "I'd count my blessings if only I could remember what they are!"
If I may ask, what medicine are you currently taking along with the Concerta??

Closed Thread