It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
(male)

erg57 HB User
Tolerance to Ritalin?

Does one develop a tolerance to ritalin to where its efficacy is diminished?

Next item:

I have been taking 20 mg a day for the last two months. I took ten in the am and 10 in the afternoon. I was not sure if I ever really noticed anything since I have been taking it in all honesty. The other day I took my morning dose. I then took another ten probably about 20 minutes later as I had forgotten that I had taken my first does already. This time I felt something...a real difference. i think this is what I was supposed to feel the whole time but had not been taking enough. I felt very focused, but not euphoric by any means....kind of up (I know its a stimulant) but not hyper. Is this what I was supposed to be feeling? I have not resumed this higher dosage. I do know that dosages need to be adjusted. I am going to tell my doc about this, but I dont want him thinking I am hooked or anything like that.

Is what I felt the goal of ritalin? opinions please.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User
Re: Tolerance to Ritalin?

I think doses have to be adjusted to a therapeutic level, and that will be different for everyone. Tell your doc about taking more by accident and that it did kick in. If you need ritalin, it will make you calmer and more able to focus. BTW, the long acting never did work for me, I take the regular tablets 3 times a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 02:15 AM   #3
Inactive

norat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbirdkiss
Both my daughter and I developed a tolerance to the dosage of ritalin we were taking. Increasing the dosage however would bring about effectiveness again. When we realized we would need to keep increasing the dosage and my daughter was taking 60mg a day, we decided to stop. We both stopped the medication abruptly, without tapering and experienced no symptoms from doing so.

If we waiting a few months before taking it, the medication would once again be effective but tolerance would develop again. So my daughter takes it only occasionally. I no longer take it at all but when it was working, it was an amazing medication.

Ritalin would help my daugher and me to focus. It also helped us to relax. It made both of us calmer.

Actually that's not accurate. Yes the curve on your way UP to your therapeutic dose may go fast, (the honeymoon) but at some point it levels out. 60M is the ceiling for normal everyday use, just so they have a place to gauge. Doctors will go much higher because it's a very clean drug.

The cut-off dose for Ibuprofen is 2 pills right? But don't doctors always tell you to take 4?. At 800MG Ibuprofen becomes a whole other drug.

80MG of Ritalin a day is a pretty standard dose for adults. You can even go up to 120MG a day. (this is only for Ritalin, not the amphetamines)

Last edited by norat; 10-29-2004 at 02:17 AM.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:57 AM   #4
(male)

erg57 HB User

Thanks for your thoughts. I asked a friend of mine who had been diagnosed ADD years ago and he said few people he knows take only 20 mg a day. He has been taking 60 a day for years.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:28 PM   #5

MafiaKiddo HB User

There is also a difference between feeling the medication and whether it is actually effective or not. Usually when people start on ritalin they notice that there focus greatly increases and they get a great energised feeling. As soon as the wonderful energised feeling goes away they say they have become immuned to the drug and start looking for a higher dose. In a lot of these cases the medication still works fine for focus but since that happy energized feeling is gone people want to get it back and raise the dose.

It's not true for all people of course but it does happen alot with many different stimulants.

Closed Thread