It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 12:51 AM   #1
(female)

KawaiiiGal HB User
concerta/ritalin/adderall what's the difference

what is the difference between all the different meds out there for add/adhd. I'm on adderall xr which i know is an ampetamine, is all the meds amphetamines? wondering if someone could inform me. thank you

Old 12-14-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: concerta/ritalin/adderall what's the difference

Concerta, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Metadate, and methylphenidate are all the exact same medication (methylphenidate). The only difference is how long they last. The longer-acting formulations tend to cause less "rebound" and, as a general rule, have a smoother ride down. They are all stimulants.

Adderall and Dexedrine are also stimulant medications. Adderall contains "mixed salts" of amphetamines; Dexedrine is pure dextro-amphetamine.

Strattera is an entirely different drug. Although it can be stimulating, is is not technically a "stimulant".

Strattera takes time to achieve a constant blood level and, therefore takes a few weeks to become maximally effective. The others are all effective immediately and leave the system completely at the end of the day.

Is this the information that you need?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
(female)

KawaiiiGal HB User

Perfect thank you so much for the info.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

Shande2 HB User

Can someone explain in lamen's terms the difference between Adderall and Straterra? My child's doctor wants to change his medication from Strattera to Adderall and I want to make sure I COMPLETELY understand the difference between the two.

Last edited by Shande2; 12-14-2004 at 07:07 PM.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

pipsqueak HB User

i dont really know the differance between all the ADHD meds out there, but heres a thought:
im 16, diagnosed as ADHD when i was 12, started taking strattera about a year ago. its probably one of the best things ive ever done for myself. i can concentrate more on my school work, on my music, on everything. its funny, because im the type of person that usualy uses meds as a last resort
strattera takes roughly 2 weeks to get all the way into your system and start really working. it takes another 2 weeks or so to get OUT of your system, so its not like your brain totaly warps out if you miss a day.
it didnt make me sleepy. it didnt make me feel all hungover (REALLY common side affect), and its really the most helpful thing ive come across (aside from all those helpful habbits you figure out on your own).
good luck!

Closed Thread