It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #1

rugratzmommy HB User
Omega 3 guidance please....

I used to frequent this board but haven't for some time. My son has inattentive ADD. He takes medicine during school but not on weekends, vacations etc. I've been giving him Neuromins DHA (he says it helps)but we have now finished both bottles and I'm ready to buy some more. When I posted quite awhile back about the Neuromins, I was told there may be better omega products to address his ADD. Could someone please refresh me on what I should be gettting....EPA, DHA, omega 3...and the proper ratios? I've read that we tend to overload on Omega 6 as they are in vegetable oils and we need to have a closer ratio 1:1, 4:1 of Omega 6 to Omega 3. I also read that the same enzymes are used to break down omega 6 and omega 3 and if we have too much omega 6 that the enzymes will probably be used up by the omega 6 and there won't be enough for the omega 3's.

I appreciate any guidance anyone can share.
Thanks.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: Omega 3 guidance please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugratzmommy
I used to frequent this board but haven't for some time. My son has inattentive ADD. He takes medicine during school but not on weekends, vacations etc. I've been giving him Neuromins DHA (he says it helps)but we have now finished both bottles and I'm ready to buy some more. When I posted quite awhile back about the Neuromins, I was told there may be better omega products to address his ADD. Could someone please refresh me on what I should be gettting....EPA, DHA, omega 3...and the proper ratios? I've read that we tend to overload on Omega 6 as they are in vegetable oils and we need to have a closer ratio 1:1, 4:1 of Omega 6 to Omega 3. I also read that the same enzymes are used to break down omega 6 and omega 3 and if we have too much omega 6 that the enzymes will probably be used up by the omega 6 and there won't be enough for the omega 3's.

I appreciate any guidance anyone can share.
Thanks.
You are correct. Nature's Bounty makes a good salmon oil but why switch from the Neuromins if it helps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 02:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

alathea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
You are correct. Nature's Bounty makes a good salmon oil but why switch from the Neuromins if it helps?
The Durham Trial (Durham is an Education Authority not a company) in the uk found that 550mg of EPA was effective in helping children with ADD concentrate. There are not many suppliers who provide that much EPA at a price which is affordable to low income groups. In the uk we are lucky to have ZIPVIT which produces Omega Juice and a teaspoon of that contains 900mg EPA + 600mg DHA and this will easy supply all the EPA/DHA needs. It's best kept in the fridge once opened.
Neuromins contains only 100 milligrams DHA.

Last edited by alathea; 12-07-2005 at 02:27 AM.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
(female)

GardenGazer HB User

Hello,
It sounds like this is something you tried -- what kind of results did you get? I'm starting my 11 yr old son on fish oil capsules twice a day, but I'm concerned the dosage is too low.
Thanks for your post!

Old 01-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

chrismom HB User

We just started with a product that is just Essential Fatty Acids for children by Natures Way.

He gets 240mg DHA and 350mg EPA per day. It also has Evening Primrose Oil which provides 50mg GLA.

Garden Gazer.... We were thinking about Neuro Feedback. How long has your child done it? Did you see results?

Would love to hear.

ANyone else with advice on Omega 3 dosages?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 01-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
(male)

noto HB User

After trying for nearly a year in fish oil for my ADD, My verdict is to continue eating high DHA supplement and not high EPA supplement at night before sleeping. High in EPA doesn't work for ADD-ers in my opinion unless there is someone here to convince me personally and not by clinical research. Your son should feel noticable calm, relaxed and sense of mental clarity when he wakes up the next day.

May I know how much dosage is your son eating at the moment?

Last edited by noto; 01-30-2006 at 09:46 PM.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
(female)

GardenGazer HB User

About the neuro --- yes, it did help for about a year. We were able to take him off Ritalin (which we all hated). But over the last few months my son seemed to regress. Lots of anxiety and poor focus/attention in school. I think, in part, because the stakes in school are getting higher. He starts middle school next year and he knows he won't get the kind of attention and reminding that his elementary school teachers provide.

For my son, I think there's a strong cause and effect when it comes to anxiety and focus.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I have a 15 1/2 yo DS w/Inattentive ADD + anxiety. He does best taking 2 softgels per day, one in the morning & the other around 4 p.m. He gets a total of 850 mg. EPA & 200 mg. DHA per day.

When he was younger we gave mostly DHA.

IMO every child is different. Some may do well with less than what works for my son; others may do better with more DHA than EPA.

Best wishes.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
(male)

noto HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGazer
About the neuro --- yes, it did help for about a year. We were able to take him off Ritalin (which we all hated). But over the last few months my son seemed to regress. Lots of anxiety and poor focus/attention in school. I think, in part, because the stakes in school are getting higher. He starts middle school next year and he knows he won't get the kind of attention and reminding that his elementary school teachers provide.

For my son, I think there's a strong cause and effect when it comes to anxiety and focus.
may i know how much did you let your son take for his neurodha? i suggest you let him have a higher dosage.. i have been experiencing for many months with FO.. so far the best result i yield is before i go to sleep, i drank a heavy caffiee coffee with total up 2g of dha and small amount of epa.. the next morning.. i feel calm,relax and organised and my speech seem so much sync with my brain BEFORE I go sleep again.. once i woke up, the effect is gone unless i go through the steps all over again.. but i still feel anxious and nervous and uncomfortable when i am in a social event with strangers. i am currently experiencing pharmaeutical grade 400EPA 200DHA fish oil for 2 days .. well, it doesn't work well for me at all making me feel back to the past. my colleagues have see the difference in me for the 2 days. guess i will continue to use for a week plus and see how it goes for the EPA to increase my blood flood to my blood and hope it does further improve my ADD and social anxiousity disorder since it contains a mixture of higher amount of EPA and lower amount of DHA..
i HOPe people here can try to input their knowledge and opinion on this matter. thanks

Last edited by noto; 02-18-2006 at 12:59 AM.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:03 AM   #10
(male)

noto HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar
I have a 15 1/2 yo DS w/Inattentive ADD + anxiety. He does best taking 2 softgels per day, one in the morning & the other around 4 p.m. He gets a total of 850 mg. EPA & 200 mg. DHA per day.

When he was younger we gave mostly DHA.

IMO every child is different. Some may do well with less than what works for my son; others may do better with more DHA than EPA.

Best wishes.
hi you.. may i know if the 850mg amd 200mg help ur DS in ADD and anxiety? if yes, how long does it take to see the effect.. i would really appreciate your input.. rigth now for the past 2 days, i have been taking 2.8g EPA and 1.4g DHA and it doesn't work for me at all compared to the 2.0g DHA and which i took last time.. i am now waiting for the EPA effect to really come in...

Closed Thread