It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Question How long does it take for ritalin to work, and did ritalin work for you, and why?

Hi, I just got a prescription for ritalin and was wondering if anyone had great results with this? This is my second post, and I described my symptoms under the thread called "do you have to be hyper to have add?"

Old 03-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: How long does it take for ritalin to work, and did ritalin work for you, and why?

I really hope you don't have to take that, Jess.. .. are you parents on any meds.??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: How long does it take for ritalin to work, and did ritalin work for you, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
I really hope you don't have to take that, Jess.. .. are you parents on any meds.??
No, but my father was a major drug and alcohol addict and I dunno. I'm having a MAJOR problem in school, and I dropped out so many times because of my concentration and learning problems. Like, when I read, I have to read over and over again, I'm constantly misplacing things, I have real bad test anxiety. Plus, my doc said that my dad was probably an addict as a result of ADD. I don't know, I just want to excel in school but I'm having problems. I've ALWAYS struggled in school and i'm just sick of it. Did you read my other posts, lol, it's kinda embarassing but it's true I think. I took a test online and it said to consult a physician because it indicated severe add. I figure it like this, God blessed me with good health, no depression, manic depression, good looks,etc but he didn't give me the brains,lol.

Last edited by Jess75; 03-03-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Jess.. never say you don't have a brain..and, i know your good looking(so am I)..LOL ..anyways my parents where imigrants and, have very little schooling..very very little..but, my dad managed a business just the same through out his life..he wasn't to bright and, could barley read..but, he did run his business just the same..I know you wanna be a nurse..have you asked yourself is that what you really wanna do..? what im saying Jess.. is that, my dad didn't know much but, he was very passionate about what he was doing..Have you ever tought about running your own business.??

cheer up Jess

Old 03-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Jess.. never say you don't have a brain..and, i know your good looking(so am I)..LOL ..anyways my parents where imigrants and, have very little schooling..very very little..but, my dad managed a business just the same through out his life..he wasn't to bright and, could barley read..but, he did run his business just the same..I know you wanna be a nurse..have you asked yourself is that what you really wanna do..? what im saying Jess.. is that, my dad didn't know much but, he was very passionate about what he was doing..Have you ever tought about running your own business.??

cheer up Jess
No, I never did think about it but it's funny cause my dad owned 3 barber shops but they all went to crap as a result of his addiction. How would I get started, I don't have great credit by the way, but it's starting go get better. Maybe it's the add, huh? BTW, how did you know I was good looking,lol?

Old 03-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

why are you saying you have ADD.?? I really think you don't..you didn't really answer my question..do you really wanna be a nurse.?? is there somtin you really love to do besides a nurse.?? ..hmmm how bout working in a gym..im sure you love that..anyhow..i just figured you had the looks..LOL anyways you just said it yourself..LOL

cheer up

Old 03-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
why are you saying you have ADD.?? I really think you don't..you didn't really answer my question..do you really wanna be a nurse.?? is there somtin you really love to do besides a nurse.?? ..hmmm how bout working in a gym..im sure you love that..anyhow..i just figured you had the looks..LOL anyways you just said it yourself..LOL

cheer up
Oh...yes I really want to be a nurse. First off, I want to make sure I can take care of myself if anything happens. I don't want to EVER have to rely on anybody financially after seeing what my mom went through. I'd LOVE to work in a gym but they don't make that much money. If you were around me 24 hours a day, believe me, you'd see the ADD in me. I'm always like, where's this where's that? Oh it can be bad. And about my looks, I guess I said that because it's one postive thing about me because my self esteem is low on this(add) issue, and it made me feel better, if that made sense,lol.

Last edited by Jess75; 03-03-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

at least you have a dream, Jess.. cuz most of us don't, im also a jazz musician and, one day id love to make my CD.. anyways im not sure you could become a nurse if you have ADD..which i still think you don't but, i will help as best as i can and, give encouragment as much as i can

cheer up dude

Old 03-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
at least you have a dream, Jess.. cuz most of us don't, im also a jazz musician and, one day id love to make my CD.. anyways im not sure you could become a nurse if you have ADD..which i still think you don't but, i will help as best as i can and, give encouragment as much as i can

cheer up dude
Oh wow a jazz musician, very impressive. Well, I did so much researching on the net tonight that I'm going to bed. And yes, I've read about nurses having add...you just aren't too knowledgable about it...there is ALOT that accompanies this disorder. My problem is schoolwork, but once I learn something, I NEVER forget it though. I was a waitress and bartender for 09 years so, I know what pressure is like, it's concentrating in class and material that I'm having problems with.
Layta

Old 03-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Oh, and BTW Losec, diabets need their insulin to function, therefore ya know what i'm gonna say, lol.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yes I do ..remember your T-bag smells like marjiuanna..LOL..thats a cute one Jess..

my birthday in 2 days..hehehe

Old 03-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
yes I do ..remember your T-bag smells like marjiuanna..LOL..thats a cute one Jess..

my birthday in 2 days..hehehe
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And yah, my teabag does smell like weed,lol.

Old 04-16-2005, 01:02 AM   #13
(male)

1stDayOfMyLife HB User

throw the bottle out, never take more than you should, and get off it fast if you
start too. i was diagnosed by some dr and they said i have mild add, when it turns out im just almost dependent on this stupid kid drug. never touch it. theres really no such thing as mild add, you ll soon see how dependent it gets. so many questions about that drug that arent answered... its scary...

Old 04-16-2005, 05:05 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Hi, I just got a prescription for ritalin and was wondering if anyone had great results with this? This is my second post, and I described my symptoms under the thread called "do you have to be hyper to have add?"
Jessica,

All drugs can be problems for SOME people, but that doesn't mean that ALL people should therefore not have the benefit of them. The fact that Ritalin is prescribed for bazillions of people means that many (if not most) of them are receiving benefit from it. The ones who have problems can stop taking it. I suggest you give Ritalin a chance. You can stop taking it if it doesn't work for you or if the side effects are more than you want to deal with.

I took Ritalin 10 years ago for a few months before we moved to Germany. I had been newly diagnosed with ADD at the age of 46 -- I wish I had known about ADD as a kid, and had had the opportunity for coaching along with perhaps some occasional periods with Ritalin. The drug is harder to get here (perhaps that's a good thing -- there's not so much of a tendency to prescribe it to quiet down kids who are merely energetic!). But it did WONDERS for my ability to calmly decide what I was going to do for the day, and to calmly attend to whatever came up in the course of the day.

I took one 10 mg dose in the morning, which lasted for 4 - 5 hours. That was sufficient to get me started on prioritizing my day and getting some of those tasks started, so that when it wore off, I was ok with continuing the tasks that I had already started. Other people need more dosages to cover the whole day, or a longer-lasting version.

I noticed the effects immediately. We had two garage sales before we moved here to Germany (how can we collect so much cr*p ???), one Before-Ritalin, and one After-Ritalin. My DH was astonished at the difference. Before-Ritalin, I was my usual unorganized, freaked-out, panicky self, and the garage sale was extremely stressful. The next time, with a Ritalin pill in my system, I was calm and organized, I had everything prepared in advanced, and I was able to deal with everything in a non-stressed manner.

Ritalin worked for me. It may or may not help you. You can only find out by trying it. The main thing to remember is that, if it does indeed work for you to calm your mental chaos, you'll still need to learn the organizational and coping skills that you haven't been able to learn up to now because of the ADHD.

Good luck. And remember, you are an adult now, and you have the right to make decisions for YOURSELF -- kids don't often have that right. It's ok if other people have had bad experiences with something -- I mean, it's unfortunate for them, but that doesn't mean that you have to make decisions based on soemone else's results. They have the right to make their own decisions.

My two cents worth,

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 04-16-2005 at 05:07 AM.

Old 04-17-2005, 05:38 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Jessicca,

rheanna speaks truth.

Let me add ...

I'm 53, an ex-addict, been clean for overy 30 years. But like the good book says: "we reap what we sow." I reaped Hepatitis C. The silver lining is the docs discovered that ADD has been the underlying problem all my life. When first dxed, I refused Ritalin. Been there, done that, ain't about to make that mistake again. Actually, I never abused Rit. Meth was my nemesis. After nothing else worked, I started on the Rit. It work immediately. Read again rheanna.

Let's call a spade a spade. Ritalin can be abused. Felt tempted a few times myself. But I have no problems saying "no to drugs" for non-medical purposes. Two of my safeguards are, 1. I am brutally frank with my docs - all 4 of them. 2. I have drug free days, one or two each week. ADD is only life disrupting when my brain is under load. I do not need it to piddle around the house or for recreation.

Go for the nurse thing.

Peace.

addprogrammer

PS to Losec20mg - Joshua Redman is bad. Good ADD therapy. So is Trane and Bird.

Closed Thread