It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User
Do you get easily annoyed??

I have ADD and find that I get easily annoyed agitated by things, like noises that people make or that other things make, especially my husband. I don't know if it's because I'm around him more than I'm around other people or if I'm getting more annoyed by him by the day because of other reasons and then I notice every little annoyance about him. I just wanted to know if it's an ADD symptom and I'm not alone in this way or if I'm getting annoyed for other reasons. For instance, he must burp a couple hundred times a day. He didn't used to do this until the past couple of years and the more often it happens the more I feel like screaming or something. It's almost getting to the point where I can't stand to be around him. I can almost predict when he's going to burp. It's driving me nuts and I don't know what to do about it. Is my getting bothered by it part of my ADD or should I go to another board and ask this? I honestly don't know why I am this way, that I am bothered so much by things, especially noises that he makes (his nose blowing also bothers me because it's so loud), but I've never heard anybody burp so much. Help, it's really driving me bananas to the point of even avoiding being around him!

Old 03-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Do you get easily annoyed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow
I have ADD and find that I get easily annoyed agitated by things, like noises that people make or that other things make, especially my husband. I don't know if it's because I'm around him more than I'm around other people or if I'm getting more annoyed by him by the day because of other reasons and then I notice every little annoyance about him. I just wanted to know if it's an ADD symptom and I'm not alone in this way or if I'm getting annoyed for other reasons. For instance, he must burp a couple hundred times a day. He didn't used to do this until the past couple of years and the more often it happens the more I feel like screaming or something. It's almost getting to the point where I can't stand to be around him. I can almost predict when he's going to burp. It's driving me nuts and I don't know what to do about it. Is my getting bothered by it part of my ADD or should I go to another board and ask this? I honestly don't know why I am this way, that I am bothered so much by things, especially noises that he makes (his nose blowing also bothers me because it's so loud), but I've never heard anybody burp so much. Help, it's really driving me bananas to the point of even avoiding being around him!
Yah, being distracted and annoyed by other noises and sounds is definitely a symptom of ADD and is something that definitely annoys me. For instance, ESPECIALLY when I'm taking a test, any little noice causes me to lose concentration and makes me forget what I read or evem HOW to answer. And, when my husband is vac******(his job by the way, I dust, lol), I say, "Wait till I go upstairs" I HATE that sound, it gets under my skin!!! I never associated it with Add, until I've been reading a lot about it. Does he know you have ADD? Cause tell him why you get so annoyed and maybe he could try to stop. Are you seeking treatment?

BTW, I don't know why there is a bunch of stars after the word vac******??? Okay it did it again, how about "running the sweeper" LOL.. When you see the word vac and stars that means WHAT runs the sweeper, I don't know what the stars indicate, LOL.

Last edited by Jess75; 03-13-2005 at 05:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

At least I know I'm not the only one. I get upset just knowing that I get upset at these noises. It's not just his nose blowing and his burping, but I could also go through the ceiling whenever he uses the blender to mix those darn protein shakes of his. He knows that these things bother me but he does them anyway and says I just have to deal with it and not let it get to me. Well, easy for him to say, he's not the one with the ADD! He says it's not like he can time his burps to when he's in another room, that they will come out and he can't help where he's at when they do. He actually gets mad at me saying these things bother me. Believe me, he annoys me in other ways too!

I was always like the way you describe too. When I'd take tests in school as dumb as it might sound, I used to have to hold my ears shut sometimes (discreetly, of course) to block out distracting noises or else I couldn't think to take the test. I'm also a very slow reader because it's hard for me to concentrate what I'm reading, even when there aren't any noises around to bother me.

Oh, in case I didn't mention it, my husband does know that I have ADD. I have tried taking Dexadrine, Ritalin, and Adderall (not all at once, of course) for the ADD with no results whatsoever. I even mentioned this to my doctor and psychologist, that I didn't think those things helped me one bit and couldn't I try something else, but they both insist on keeping me on the Adderall. I couldn't see the point and stopped taking it. I can't tell any difference so I figured why spend the money for nothing and be putting a drug into my system that I wasn't even benefitting from.

Heh, I don't know either why those asterisks showed up after the vac when you typed that. How strange! I didn't know that vacuuming was such a bad word.

Edit: Well that's weird, it didn't do it for me. Go figure.

Last edited by comeonnow; 03-13-2005 at 10:18 AM. Reason: To add comment at the end

Old 03-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow
At least I know I'm not the only one. I get upset just knowing that I get upset at these noises. It's not just his nose blowing and his burping, but I could also go through the ceiling whenever he uses the blender to mix those darn protein shakes of his. He knows that these things bother me but he does them anyway and says I just have to deal with it and not let it get to me. Well, easy for him to say, he's not the one with the ADD! He says it's not like he can time his burps to when he's in another room, that they will come out and he can't help where he's at when they do. He actually gets mad at me saying these things bother me. Believe me, he annoys me in other ways too!

I was always like the way you describe too. When I'd take tests in school as dumb as it might sound, I used to have to hold my ears shut sometimes (discreetly, of course) to block out distracting noises or else I couldn't think to take the test. I'm also a very slow reader because it's hard for me to concentrate what I'm reading, even when there aren't any noises around to bother me.

Oh, in case I didn't mention it, my husband does know that I have ADD. I have tried taking Dexadrine, Ritalin, and Adderall (not all at once, of course) for the ADD with no results whatsoever. I even mentioned this to my doctor and psychologist, that I didn't think those things helped me one bit and couldn't I try something else, but they both insist on keeping me on the Adderall. I couldn't see the point and stopped taking it. I can't tell any difference so I figured why spend the money for nothing and be putting a drug into my system that I wasn't even benefitting from.

Heh, I don't know either why those asterisks showed up after the vac when you typed that. How strange! I didn't know that vacuuming was such a bad word.

Edit: Well that's weird, it didn't do it for me. Go figure.
I'm a very slow reader too, and it takes me sooo long to understand something. Right now I'm in Nursing 101 and we are doing Pharmacology and I'm trying to read over and over again about how the cells have these receptors and then there's bound and undbound to plasma and this and that takes place, It's SOOOOO CRAAAAAAAAAAZY I just want to pull my hair out.LOL Biology and the cells are so confusing me, on top of many other things, lol.

Oh, and did you give those meds enough time to work. It can take some time to find the "right" dosage for "maximum" therapeutic benefits. I can notice a little difference on Ritalin, but I think it will need to be increased when I see the doc on the 1st and THEN we will see.

Last edited by Jess75; 03-13-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:20 PM   #5

mandevu HB User

Yes! I can't think with noises around. When I need to concentrate it needs to be VERY quiet or else I keep on losing my train of thought because my thoughts get captivated by the noises. I can't have background music on because I actually listen to the music as if someone was talking to me (even if it is instrumental music). So glad to hear I'm not the only one and so sorry to hear others also have these problems. At the moment I'm thinking of selling my apartment and moving to a small country town or a farm to escape the constant barrage of noise from traffic and neighbors. I get so annoyed by it I can scream. Fortunately my building has a rooftop garden and going there helps to work off the irritation and stress and escape some of the noises. I sometimes go running when it gets too bothersome to cope with as well.

When I take dexedrine, I'm lesss bothered by the noise, but then I can't sleep properly at night! At this point it seems to me that finding the right environment is the better thing to do rather than trying to cope with the wrong environment by taking meds. It seems to me the best thing parents can do for their ADD kids is to help them understand themselves and to help them find a social niche where they are comfortable and can function well and maintain their self esteem with minimal intervention.

Let us know if anyone has found good ways of coping with noise other than making more noise to drown out the bothersome noises!

mandevu

Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

I sometimes put my fingers in my ears when I'm on the subway when there are people are talking or laughing loudly or the "mouse music" is escaping from their earphones -- just to hear myself think -- and I certainly don't have deep Einstein thoughts!

And yeah, I used to do that during tests too. I NEVER turn on music as background noise -- it's never just in the background, I HAVE to listen to it. This is causing me to remember a job I had once. I was working in the lab of a computer chip manufacturer, and the company decided to pipe music throught the PA system. It was bad enough to have my train of thought shattered by announcements all day, but the music was TOO MUCH!!! I finally telephoned the office from my area and told them that if they didn't turn it down I wouldn't be able to do my job AT ALL -- they must have received enough complaints because shortly after that they turned the blasted thing off.

I can miss all kinds of things visually (like passing our car early one morning as I started out jogging and not noticing that the door was hanging open because someone had stolen the radio!) but I can't tune out sounds.

Old 03-14-2005, 03:00 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

Jessicca, Sorry it's confusing for you in college. I have thought about going back to college and study something I like (if I can figure out what that is), but between me being in my forties and the fact that I have ADD, I'm not so sure I could handle it. Studying/reading would be really hard for me, probably close to impossible.
Yep, I gave them plenty of time to work, probably half a year each for the Dexadrine and the Ritalin and I had been Adderall for a couple years. Nothing ever works for me. I guess somebody has to be part of those statistics in which 20% of the people who try ADD medication aren't helped by it; I'm one of them, apparently. I hope yours works for you. I wish I wouldn't have ever been born with this...it makes life super rough!

Old 03-14-2005, 03:12 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

Mandevu, I certainly don't blame you for wanting to move. I think I'd be bothered by all the noise in a city too. My husband, daughter, and I went to NYC for two days last fall and oh my, I don't know how anyone can stand to live there and my daughter said the same thing. I honestly wouldn't live there if someone paid me big bucks. I just couldn't stand it! I say if you have the financial means to move, go for it. I bet it would make a big difference for you.
I'm the same way with not being able to sleep. I ordinarily have nights of insomnia, and then when I take a stimulant that makes it worse yet. I wish I'd have found out about my ADD when I was a kid rather than in my forties. I keep thinking that maybe it would have made a difference. I even have trouble holding down a job because of various things. It's not that I get fired but I'm just too anxious and bothered by things, etc. and can only put up with a job for a short time, a year tops. At this point in life, I don't think I'll ever find something I like and can put up with, and we are in bad financial shape. I think if I'd be able to stick with something rather than being off work more than on, maybe we could eventually (although it would be years down the road) get our credit card debt paid off. At this point, it's very depressing looking ahead to the future.
I also wish there was a way of coping with the noise other than drowning it out somehow. I feel like I'm always fighting things.

Old 03-14-2005, 03:20 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

Rheanna, It sounds like I've got lots of company here with others in that noises bother us. Yeah, that would be me too, putting my fingers in my ears to drown out others. Oh, here's a funny one...I took the book I'm reading on ADD along with me when I went to get my hair done, but I couldn't concentrate to read it because of all of the people talking around me. Even though I didn't make any effort to hear their conversations, I'd still hear it as noise and it would mix in with the words I was reading and so I couldn't think what I was reading. Also, the people walking around distracted me too. I'm the same way and can't have music on as a background noise. My daughter can have music blasting away and be able to do her schoolwork, but if I have music on I can't think about anything else and just listen to the music. I know I wouldn't be able to do a job either with music playing. Heh, I know what you're saying with missing things visually and yet not be able to tune out sounds. I miss things by sight lots of times, but noises are always there in my face.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #10

ADDsubtract HB User

I'd say the constant burping would annoy anyone with or without ADD. If he knows it bothers you and continues to do it anyway, it comes down to a lack of respect.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User
question about ADD

I have a question about ADD. I think my daughter (23) has ADD but was never diagnosed. While she was in school she was told she had a learning disability but never ADD. I recently read the reports from school and they mentioned memory and concentrating problems. My daughter lives in another state from me but she keeps telling me she is either fired from her jobs or quits. Most employers tell her she works too slowly or she is not catching on fast enough. Lots of people tell her she has ADD but I can't get her to go get tested for it. She has very low self esteem and always says she is dumb. I know she isn't but she feels it and it hurts me to know this and not be able to do anything about it. Have any of you had the same job problems? Does this sound like ADD? I apprecitate any help. Thank you.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #12
(female)

Amy2838 HB User

Bethys, you should start a new post for your topic.

"Do you get easily annoyed??"
I hate annoying sounds! Well actually, most sounds are annoying to me! My husband doesn't understand. I can't stand to be at a party where there are so many people talking at once it just sounds like daddle-diddle-bliddle-bladdle-hahahahahahahha-sldkfjoiwerjrlksdjfoiwejf! And forget about loud music, or god forbid...a BAND! *cringe*

I have never liked the vaccuum, and will wait until I can't stand the crumbs anymore to finally drag the dang thing out and use it. My father has always insisted on using a blasted electric knife, and it makes me want to claw my eardrums out.

My husband is also a big "bodily function" cave man. Instead of blowing his nose, he SNORTS over and over at regular intervals until I yell at him to go use a tissue! He also coughs almost every time he laughs, snores in his sleep, and turns over on our squeaky bed about 200 times a night.

As for city noises....did you ever see "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," where the New York journalist stays in Savanna, and had to bring a recording of street noises and ambulance sirens so he could sleep at night? Yikes. Not me. Anyway, you can't get away from all annoying sounds by moving to the country. Have you ever tried to sleep when a herd of frogs were chirping right outside the window? It is the single most grating sound in the whole wide world!!! Not only is it loud and obnoxious, but it is inconsistantly sporadic. I have to sleep with an air purifier or a loud fan on full blast to drown out any possible disturbance. (My 2-year old son does too! Uh-oh!)

As a side note, I read recently that another common annoyance to ADDers was little physical discomforts...the "pricess and the pea" syndrome. Do you cut the tags out of your shirts? Do rumpled sheets bother you? Do you avoid turtle neck sweaters at all cost? Have you ever turned you socks inside out in an attempt to get rid of that dang seam across your toes? Maybe you can't stand for a single strand of hair or even bangs to ever touch your face? If your watch is the slightest bit too tight or too loose, does it bug you all day? Are there certain fabrics that you just can't wear because they are too "scratchy" or it just makes your skin crawl? I could go on! LOL. I never knew this was ADD, and I fell out laughing when I read it, because I have been doing all these things since I can remember! My parents practically pulled their hair out trying to find clothes and shoes that I would deem suitable to wear! If they had only known!

Anyway, that's what annoys me.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy2838
As a side note, I read recently that another common annoyance to ADDers was little physical discomforts...the "pricess and the pea" syndrome. Do you cut the tags out of your shirts? Do rumpled sheets bother you? Do you avoid turtle neck sweaters at all cost? Have you ever turned you socks inside out in an attempt to get rid of that dang seam across your toes? Maybe you can't stand for a single strand of hair or even bangs to ever touch your face? If your watch is the slightest bit too tight or too loose, does it bug you all day? Are there certain fabrics that you just can't wear because they are too "scratchy" or it just makes your skin crawl? I could go on! LOL. I never knew this was ADD, and I fell out laughing when I read it, because I have been doing all these things since I can remember! My parents practically pulled their hair out trying to find clothes and shoes that I would deem suitable to wear! If they had only known!

Anyway, that's what annoys me.
LOL! I guess that makes me a princess!

--Rheanna

Closed Thread