It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 04:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User
Question about ADD

I posted this before but I cannot find where it went so I will do it again. I wrote that I am concerned about my 23 year old daughter. In school she was told she had a learning disability but I recently read the reports from her time in school. They mentioned memorie problems and concentrating. This has been a problem for her on jobs and she is fired often and told she works too slowly or that she is not catching on. Because of this she gets discouraged and has low self esteem. Many people tell her they think she is ADD. She is kind of in denial when told this because she thinks she is dumb. I live in a different state from her so I cannot just take her to the doctors. I encourage it but as yet she uses the excuse she can't afford it. Does any of this sound like ADD? I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Question about ADD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethys
I posted this before but I cannot find where it went so I will do it again. I wrote that I am concerned about my 23 year old daughter. In school she was told she had a learning disability but I recently read the reports from her time in school. They mentioned memorie problems and concentrating. This has been a problem for her on jobs and she is fired often and told she works too slowly or that she is not catching on. Because of this she gets discouraged and has low self esteem. Many people tell her they think she is ADD. She is kind of in denial when told this because she thinks she is dumb. I live in a different state from her so I cannot just take her to the doctors. I encourage it but as yet she uses the excuse she can't afford it. Does any of this sound like ADD? I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.
Sounds like my situation, and I was diagnosed with ADD. My problems are TESTS, focusing, organizing, remembering, and comprehension. ANd, I also have a low self esteem, and btw I'm a 29 y/o college student without a degree due to this problem!! Do you know what her symptoms are specifically? Was the indication of a learning disability related to test results, or procrastinatio?. I hope that ADD is my answer so the medication can have a potential positive outcome. Cause if not, then I may have a learning disability, and I'm not really sure what the difference is. I hope more people respond about that, cause I can sure use some feedback.

Last edited by Jess75; 03-17-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

When my daughter was in school she was distractable the teachers said and easily bored. I think the bordeom came from not really understanding what was going on. I think she loses her jobs because she is embarassed when she does not understand or remember how to do things. She frustrates often and loses interest because of the frustration. I have always tried to encourage her but the low self esteem continued anyway.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethys
When my daughter was in school she was distractable the teachers said and easily bored. I think the bordeom came from not really understanding what was going on. I think she loses her jobs because she is embarassed when she does not understand or remember how to do things. She frustrates often and loses interest because of the frustration. I have always tried to encourage her but the low self esteem continued anyway.
Thanks, I'll try the test. BTW, it sounds like she may have add but I'm not sure. I kinda always thought I had this problem, but then JUST LIKE HER, I thought, "oh well, maybe I'm just dumb." I delt with the frustrations and stuff with this disorder that I got to my WITS end and now i'm recieving help(meds). I want to go to therapy but I'm too busy and I'm going to get tested at my school for an Ld. She may be in denial like I was all my life, but you just get to a point where you can't take it anymore, at least for me. It's a very frustrating disorder, I HATE IT.

Okay, I took the test and I had 37 answers above the #4!!! It says if you have more than 20 you have a problem. Under the attention section, I had all 4's!!!

Last edited by Jess75; 03-17-2005 at 07:13 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
(female)

Amy2838 HB User

If your daughter is tested and diagnosed with LD or ADD, she can be eligible for special accomodations such as taping the class, having someone take notes for her, extra time on tests, taking tests in a private room, extensions on homework assignments, and all kinds of other things that may help her out.

She might feel guilty, like she's trying to get a leg-up on her peers, or like she is trying to get away with "cheating" or something, but it's not that at ALL. If a blind student can't read the chalk-board, does the teacher tell him to buckle down and try harder? No, he gets special accomodations. Does this mean that he's stupid and has a low IQ and is just trying to sneak by? Not at all! He may be absolutely brilliant, but if he can't see the chalkboard, how is he supposed to learn anything?

It's the same type of situation for ADD and LD (however I would not go as far as to say they were equally debilitating!) But if a student has ADD, she needs someone to help her keep track of assignments and due dates. If it takes her 8 hours to read one chapter from the textbook, she may need someone to read it to her out loud. (for people with ADD and LD, some senses seem to work better than others...hearing the lesson sinks in better than reading it, for example) If her notetaking is so messy and illegible that she can't read her own writing, then she needs to have someone take notes for her. These things DO NOT reflect her IQ. She is probably a very bright and creative person who understands a lot more than she can prove.

Maybe knowing that she can have these special accomodations will be enough incentive for her to go get a diagnisis. I remember being in college and what a struggle it was. It was so demoralizing and it seemed like every day, my self esteem was chopped down a little bit more. That was so uneccesary and preventable! Bad grades and poor feedback are so hurtful emotionally, that she may eventually just give up on school altogether. Then she'll be trying to get entry-level jobs that don't suit her ADD personality (they almost always require organization and memory skills and paperwork! ugh) And she'll be even more demoralized each time she loses a job and can't understand why.

INSIST on a diagnosis!!! It will be the best thing she can ever do for herself. It will save her years of disapointment and depression.

Closed Thread