It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

mommahen HB User
O.D.D along with ADHD???

Does anyone have a child with both. My son is seven and currently in behavior mgmt for his behavior. He has ADHD and is on ADDERALL XR 20mgs. The medicine helps but, he is very defiant( no I am not doing it, I hate you, your the triple meanest mom in the world) of course when he is told NO or has to do something he does not want to do. Any advice or course of action, stories to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
(female)

simmscity4 HB User
Re: O.D.D along with ADHD???

Hi it's me again, my neighbours little boy has both ADHD and ODD I don't know much but I can find out.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

mommahen HB User

That would be awesome!!!! Thank You

Old 05-01-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
(female)

maggymay3 HB User

hi,

my son has both and it can be quite a struggle to get him to do anything, that isnt on his agenda, he also has anxiety issues as well, he is 9 and has been diagnosed since he was about 4, I'm not a dr but i have heard that the adderall can cause aggresion, I know it did with my son ,I thought his head was gonna spinn one day about 5 days into taking it, needless to say we swithed to ritalin LA 30 mg, and have since dropped down to 20mg in afternoon and 10mg short acting in am, along with risperdal 2x"s a day for the anger issues and the anxiety, the adding of the risperdal has been recent and the jury is still out on it, i;m really hoping it calms him down.
good luck with the adderall, how long has he been taking it?
Best Regards
maggymay3
From NJ

Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

ncdunn HB User

My 7 year old granddaughter has been taking Adderral for several months (6 or 7 maybe) and the past couple months she is very angry (I hate you! no, I won't, You're not the boss of me) and is very disrespectful to us and other adults. This has just shown up the last couple months. So I am concerned that it is a side effect of the meds after reading about your experience. Anyone else have a similar story about the anger and aggreesion getting worse on the Adderral? my email is [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]. We are upping the dosage per the dr today (Friday) and by Monday we should see the behavior improve and if it doesn't the counselor said to tell the dr and that it may be a side effect.

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 05-13-2005 at 04:06 PM. Reason: The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

They tried to put my son on Adderral but it didn't work. He was very angry and acted like he wasn't even on meds. He gets very irritable in the evening and they just won't seem to put him on anything to help him. They just blame it on coming off his meds but it starts right around the time he takes his afternoon pills (which is a shorter acting version of his morning pills. Please let me know if the Risperdal helps so maybe I can suggest that to his doctor!

Old 05-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #7
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

Forgot to add...my son has never been "diagnosed" with ODD to go along with his ADHD (they say it might just be him coming off his meds) but I KNOW he has it. He has just about every symptom there is, especially at night. He won't do what you want unless it's good for him, he is mean, he teases constantly (especially his sister) he says anything that comes to mind to hurt people, he throws things, he is a downright terror sometimes. He has temper tnatrums, breaks things, throws things, punches holes in his door and wall...

Old 05-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
(female)

ncdunn HB User

sorry, I am new here and did not realize I could not put my email address in for replies. Thanks

Old 05-20-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdunn
My 7 year old granddaughter has been taking Adderral for several months (6 or 7 maybe) and the past couple months she is very angry (I hate you! no, I won't, You're not the boss of me) and is very disrespectful to us and other adults. This has just shown up the last couple months. So I am concerned that it is a side effect of the meds after reading about your experience. Anyone else have a similar story about the anger and aggreesion getting worse on the Adderral? my email is [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]. We are upping the dosage per the dr today (Friday) and by Monday we should see the behavior improve and if it doesn't the counselor said to tell the dr and that it may be a side effect.

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]
Stimulants can cause aggressive behavior, it's a listed side effect so you are right to be concerned about it.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
(female)

DawnP HB User

Nickkaylee,

I have a son with ODD and ADHD. He's now 10. One thing I can say is that he had the defiance way before he ever started medication. Is that true for your child as well? Otherwise, it may be a side effect of the coming down from the meds.

I also wanted to tell you that I switched him to a psychiatrist last fall because I was at my wits end. He was taking Concerta which works well for him. It lasts about 11 hours. When he was off the meds at night he was HORRIBLE. He was totally out of control and also he could not evr get to sleep. So, his Psychiatrist gave him a dose of short acting Ritalin for the evening hours. I cannot even begin to tell you how this has changed our home and our relationship with him. We have two other children and it was truly a nightmare each night. Now he goes right to sleep. The Dr said that it wasn't the stimulant keeping him awake, it was his ADHD not allowing himself to calm down and go to sleep.

Anyway, it has worked great for us. I think, though that you might need a Psychiatrist to give you evening meds as Pediatricians can be very wary, I know mine was.

Good Luck!

Dawn

Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 AM   #11
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

Yes he's always had the defiance. I told the doctor that he has now (when we first started seeing him) that I thought he had ODD because he has ALL the sympotoms and he told me that it might seem that way but it's probably just him coming down off his meds. THEN he said that he thought it might be from the evening meds he takes but he was this way when he took nothing in the evening so it can't be that. Apparently from what his teachewrs just told me (had a PET meeting this morning) that he is sometimes aggressive at school too...not physically but in other ways. She had a paper with her that told about passive aggressive behavior which apparently is like the same as ODD. I really need to get him seen by a psychiatrist ASAP. He also is now qualified as special ed instead of 504 so that's good.

Closed Thread