It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
(male)

mdloops HB User
Concerta - Effects different for people w/o ADD?

I will make this brief. I have heard here and there that people who do not have ADD react differently to stimulant medication than people who had ADD. I believe the stipulation is that people who DO NOT have ADD react to stimulants as if they were speed. x

I could be totally wrong here. I have heard a lot of people (who have no symptoms of ADD) say they get very "speedy" from the meds. The effect Concerta has on me is a more relaxed state where I can focus. It still causes insomnia for me though.

I would like to either believe this theory or put the myth to rest. I personally think it is a myth

Last edited by mdloops; 05-03-2005 at 06:39 PM.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User
Re: Concerta - Effects different for people w/o ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdloops
I will make this brief. I have heard here and there that people who do not have ADD react differently to stimulant medication than people who had ADD. I believe the stipulation is that people who DO NOT have ADD react to stimulants as if they were speed. x

I could be totally wrong here. I have heard a lot of people (who have no symptoms of ADD) say they get very "speedy" from the meds. The effect Concerta has on me is a more relaxed state where I can focus. It still causes insomnia for me though.

I would like to either believe this theory or put the myth to rest. I personally think it is a myth

Hi

You are correct in your theory. For most people without ADD/ADHD, it is supposed to make said person feel speedy. My daughter had a friend who was NOT ADD/ADHD and was trying to do what her other friends were doing and popped 3 concerta at once and that got her put in the emergency room. It made her snap. She was speeding so hard, she was panicking and went totally off. She was crying and screeming and tripping out. They had to give her something at the hospital to calm her down. A lot of kids thinks this is all fun to do but don't realize that this can kill them if they take too much or if they are allergic to it. Medicine now adays are not the same as when I was a teenager. It can be very harmfull if it's not for you.

I hope I didn't sound rough or anything. I was just explaining what could happen if someone didn't have ADD/ADHD. It scares me to hear about kids doing this. It really does But, if you do have ADD/ADHD, then it's a good thing that it mellows you out and helps you concentrate

Chantel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
(male)

mdloops HB User

Thanks. Maybe it is not a myth.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
(male)

Retag HB User

My doctor (a behavioral neurologist) confirmed this for me as well (I too take Concerta). To paraphrase (simplistically but I hope correctly), if the attention problems are not due to ADD, the medicine "won't work." However, people who have no attention issues can get some effect (i.e., the "speed" effect) out of the medication if they take it. I also read in a book on ADD that you "know you have ADD when you take a stimulant and it calms you down."

Old 08-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
(female)

Alyna25 HB User

Well, here is my story. I've always been Adhd but it really showed up after I got married. The stress of working full time and being on our own took it's tool. My parents have always expected alot from me so I just always thought that I was somehow born in the wrong family, I just had a baby three months ago. I'm not sure what finally spurred me to go back to my doctor but I did. I had tried ritalin before but my body metabolized it too fast, it made me OVERFOCUS on one thing. That was four years ago, since then I've been on zoloft for anxiety and depression, sometimes xanax. however I wasn't depressed I was just angry all the time. Finally I read a book called driven to distraction it talks about how sometimes people with ADD worry because that is just how they organize their life and their thoughts. Because it's hard to get us motivated, we worry ourself to motivate us. Before I was a beautiful girl with a happy smile and a healthy weight, everyone that runs into me since highschool is really shocked on how much I changed. Everything was just so overwhelming I would get up in the morning and life was just one huge chore after another. After starting on concerta Three weeks ago my life changed, when I get up in the morning I can actully get up, I start to do things without worrying about how long it will take and how much energy I don't have to do it. My laudry never got done, the house was always a mess and dirty sink and dirty dishes, my hair and make up was never decent it was a game to see how little I could get away with. The first two weeks I took the medician I did feel like I was go go go, but I noticed I wasn't angry and my energy was so much better. Now after two weeks I am used to the medician and I don't feel like I'm so driven by a motor, but the good aspects are still there. I pick up after myself without thinking about it, I don't over commit myself, I don't worry about things as much and I'm finally able to enjoy my baby. This medician has changed my life. I even think that with time I will be able to loose weight and take better care of my apearance and finally gain back all the self esteem I've lost in the last six years. Concerta's website talks about Women with ADD and how they have trouble juggiling a full time job, a family ect. I've even noticed a differance at work and my coworkers have even commented on it. In fact my boss just submitted paperwork to get me a promotion. I'm finally enjoying life and I hope that this story helps others to not be afraid to try medician too!

Closed Thread