It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

Dancergrl28 HB User
Why can't I cut my Ritalin XR in half?

I have a question that Im pretty sure some of you can answer. Why does the pharmacy instructions that came with my Ritalin XR 20mg say "Do not crush or chew, must swallow whole"? Now that I think about it, the Concerta tablet that I used to take said the same thing. I noticed, however, that warning was not on my normal 10mg Ritalin tabs. My ritalin xr is 20mg so I was going to try and cut it in half when I don't need the whole 20mg. I've done it with my 10mg regular ritalin, so why does it say I can't do it with the XR? Will it cause the pill not to work properly if it's cut in half? Anyone know??Thanks!

Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
(female)

Sylvia224 HB User
Re: Why can't I cut my Ritalin XR in half?

Actually my doctor told me to cut them in half. He prescribes 20mg pills and I'm just supposed to take 10mg in the afternoon. The pharmcist found me the pill cutter and showed me how to use it too so I don't think there's any danger. Maybe they put that as a warning to people who abuse it by snorting it, that's probably what they are referring to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Extended release pills of any sort SHOULD NEVER be cut in half!
This includes Metadate, Concerta and Ritalin XR. Extended release pills are made so that they gradually release the medication. Cutting them (or crushing or chewing) causes all of the medication to be released at one time which can be dangerous!

PS. Sylvia - perhaps you are taking regular Ritalin and not Ritalin XR? It is okay to halve regular Ritalin (and it's generic form) because it isn't formulated to release gradually.

Last edited by index.html; 07-12-2005 at 07:20 AM.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
(female)

Sylvia224 HB User

Oh whoops. You're correct, I'm not on the extended release - just regular. Uh oh - Dancergrl I apologize, I really hope you didn't take my very bad advice there!

Old 07-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
(female)

Dancergrl28 HB User

No, It's all good. I was just wondering why it said that on the xr but not the regular ritalin. Glad you were able to shed some light index

Closed Thread