It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

1337girl HB User
Question Why is Adderall a curse word at the Dr.?

I am a biochemist for a pharmaceutical company. Having said that, I am also an adult sufferer of ADD/ADHD taking Concerta (36mg on workdays). My question is this: when did Adderall become taboo?
I just started with a new primary care who is taking over my script from an old doc and I tried to ask about switching to Adderall (non extended release) so I could better adjust my own dosage and I felt like a little kid asking for candy before dinner. The word "Adderall" was never even mentioned. I expressed my concerns and thoughts to no avail. He offered to switch me to Strattera. I simlpy said that I was not interest. Although I wanted to say more! What is going on here?

Last edited by 1337girl; 07-17-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
(male)

Jack Saturn HB User
Re: Why is Adderall a curse word at the Dr.?

Howdy 1337,
You said the word "Adderrall" was never mentioned at your appointment.Why do you say it is taboo,if it was not talked about.I'm just tryin to understand the facts so I can yield a more helpful reply.I will say this:I know for a fact that a lot of Dr.,s would Px Adderrall before they would Dexedrine(for ADHD or Narcolepsy,etc.).The reason is that the former contains 4 different Amphetamine salts,2 of them prone to cause racing of the heart and jittery feelings,unlike pure Dexedrine,which is a bit less harsh on the system,therefore,in the doc's eyes,more apt to be abused.Jack Saturn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
(female)

1337girl HB User

I attempted to let him suggest Adderall by stating that I would like to try a non-extended release. However, he did not suggest any non-xr. Only Stratterra. I am probably over informed, if that's even possible. I am plenty aware of all the available treatments because I literally lay hands on them for my profession. I guess I should just come right out an tell him I want him to prescribe it for me. That makes me slightly uncomfortable and I'm not sure why.

Last edited by 1337girl; 07-17-2005 at 03:10 PM.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:07 AM   #4

rubindj HB User

Anyone who indicates a desire for a specific Schedule II drug is going to get the once (or twice) over. Adderall is abused by many patients, and every script is tracked by the DEA. A new doctor who doesn't know you is going to be suspect as to writing it.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
(male)

Jack Saturn HB User

Howdy 1337,I was just wondering:You said that this was a NEW doc taking over for your other doc,to write Rx's.If He was a new doc and you,maybe not intentionally but just cause it made you feel creepy about askin him for it,that he mistook it for"Drug-Seeker" or perhaps he was not that familiar with your case,yet.I,ll bet if you see him again and tell him how you felt and why,he just might whip out that script pad and write it up.There are so many "Patients"trying to fool these Dr.,s into giving them C-2 and 3,4 drugs,they just become automatic in their minds and the barrier goes up if they sense that someone is a bit nervous or anxious,they think"JUNKIE!!!"
It sure don't sound like you and this new doc hit it off good,but I bet you can fix that,so let us know.Jack Saturn

Old 07-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
(male)

Jack Saturn HB User

BUMP! What did you end up doing 1337? Are you still on the Concerta? My doc started me out on Provogil(which is not really an ADD med),after that did nothing,he tried me on Ritalin.It was fast-acting,regular tablets,but they seemed to bother my stomach and cause Depression after they wear off.I'm self-employed so Health Insurance is too costly.Our 2 girls are covered by Qual-Choice(state plan for kids)but Wifey and I are just prayin to stay healthy.It would have been good to try out Concerta.I have heard over and over how much more effective it is than fast-release.
The next thing we tried was Adderrall.It was actually an older Diet pill called"Obitrol",marketed in the 60's.Not sure why but it was taken off the shelves and tucked away until a few years ago when Shire(I think that's the one) put it back in the Med Mainstream as an ADD med.It has 4 different Amphetamine Salts mixed in it and 2 of them can cause some cardiovascular/Pulmonary discomfort in many folks.That's why we finally went to the current med I take Dexedrine.It is still,for the money,one of the best meds made for ADD,as well as other medical problems.Good-Luck!Jack Saturn

Last edited by Jack Saturn; 07-21-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #7
(male)

hsthompson HB User

Yeah, I would ask him what he thinks about Adderall (non-XR) in your treatment, and maybe express your personal views about encourging post you have read in treating ADD/ADHD with Adderall from other individuals. It is becoming a practice for Docs. to lean away from such drugs, because of the capabilities. I guess your weary about asking him because you don't want him to have an objective view about your intentions. Docs. anymore try to treat with milder solutions before handing over a script to powerful meds. Stimulants, are the basic meds that are used in treatment but the tendency for many is to over use creating a much bigger problem. It's a smart way to go about things.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
(female)

cmcallister HB User

My son's pediatrition informed me that Adderall was taken off the market in Canada because it can cause death if you have any kind of heart condition. The US FDA simply put a warning on the label. Our doctor isn't comfortable prescribing it due to that reason. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Closed Thread