It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
(male)

Todd D. HB User
Parents being pressured to put their kids on ADD meds?

If there's already a thread about this, I apologize. I've heard about how so many kids in schools nowadays are getting labeled as having ADD and ADHD. And if the school thinks the child should be put on a med such as Ritalin, that there is a lot of pressure on the parents to do this. I was wondering if it's against the law if a parent doesn't put their child on an ADD med, if they are getting pressured to do so? I think that's pretty ridiculous that a school or doctor could pratically force a parent to put their child on a medication. I think there are a bunch of other factors that should be looked at first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Parents being pressured to put their kids on ADD meds?

Legally, teachers are NOT qualified to diagnose ADD, much less to suggest a medication. I never ran into that kind of pressure with my kids, but have heard of others who have. I've also never run into a physician who would try to force a med on a child when the parents are in disagreement. Parents always have the right to say "no".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
(male)

Todd D. HB User

Thanks for the reply.
Well, I heard that some people at the school, such as the school nurse, might suggest that a student go on a med. Is it true that some schools get paid money for each child that goes on an ADD med such as Ritalin? I wouldn't put anything past the pharmaceutical companies.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

Don't sale teachers short on their knowledge of add/adhd. I legally can't diagnoise a child being add/adhd but I sure can express my concerns to the parent(s) of a child who I think might be add/adhd. 9 out 10 times I am right because I see the child in an environment that is different than home.
No one can force a parent to put their child on mediciation unless the mediciation is needed for the child to live a normal life. For example: not letting a child who has asthma use an inhaler.
Look into the support that the schools offer for students with add/adhd. Most children who are add/adhd may qualify for IEP or a 504 plan.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johna
Don't sale teachers short on their knowledge of add/adhd. I legally can't diagnoise a child being add/adhd but I sure can express my concerns to the parent(s) of a child who I think might be add/adhd. 9 out 10 times I am right because I see the child in an environment that is different than home.
No one can force a parent to put their child on mediciation unless the mediciation is needed for the child to live a normal life. For example: not letting a child who has asthma use an inhaler.
Look into the support that the schools offer for students with add/adhd. Most children who are add/adhd may qualify for IEP or a 504 plan.
Asthma can kill. ADD can't. No offense, but I wish more physicians would stop comparing ADD to diabetes, cancer, asthma, etc. No wonder parents jump onto the drug bandwagon so quickly with that sort of comparison as though there was no other way to deal with learning/behavior problems except with "life saving" medication. No insult intended, I'm just sick of the illogical comparisons.

I know you only used asthma as an example of forced medication, so I'm not directly commenting on what you said.

It just reminded me of how the psychiatric community is starting to push the whole idea of ADD being a biological "disease" like asthma, cancer, diabetes, etc. so that someday in the future, they might actually have legal recourse to force parents to indeed put their children on stimulants for ADD!

The mental illness screenings they wanted to impose as mandatory for all school children was one way they were hoping to eventually accomplish that.

But too much opposition for now changed it to voluntary rather than mandatory screening. So, for now, yes, parents have a choice about medications; with all the health/mental side effects or ineffectivness, thank goodness the choices to use or not to use is still in the hands of parents. But will it always be that way? I do trust that drug co's might find a way to tweek some data/research and find a disease model for ADD and then the choice of parents may be gone for good.

Last edited by Jennita; 07-27-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

I don't view add/adhd as a mental illness. I think of it more of a chemical imbalance in the brain that can be passed onto children from their parents. If a parent is add/adhd it's a good chance an off spring will have it also.
Not taking mediciation for adhd in my opinion can be dangerous. Impulsive behavior, taking chances....all that is known as traits of adhd.
The point of the post was that not noone can force a parent to give child mediciation unless it's life threatening.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
I don't view add/adhd as a mental illness. I think of it more of a chemical imbalance in the brain that can be passed onto children from their parents. If a parent is add/adhd it's a good chance an off spring will have it also.
Not taking mediciation for adhd in my opinion can be dangerous. Impulsive behavior, taking chances....all that is known as traits of adhd.
The point of the post was that not noone can force a parent to give child mediciation unless it's life threatening.
Chemical imbalance is a theory not scientifically proven fact nor is ADD but I assure you, it doesn't matter if you think it is mental illness or not (I happen to agree with you on that one) the point is that it is published in the diagnostic manual of psychiatry which is the book of mental illness definitions and descriptions.

So technically it is classified as a mental illness which I feel is not fair to people with ADD.

The other side of the opinions view it as a variety of sources, like possibly nutrituional, emotional in nature or a different(not diseased) brain function such as Visual Spatial Learners. Most ADDer's have enormous IQ's so if that's a mental "disorder "( a kinder way of saying mental illness) then I guess intelligence is not a desirable trait especially if that intelligent person gets bored with everyday school subjects and life.

But should one be given toxic drugs like stimulants which may cause harm in the longrun? The person should have the choice, not the psychiatric community.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
The person should have the choice, not the psychiatric community.
They do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd D.
Is it true that some schools get paid money for each child that goes on an ADD med such as Ritalin?
No, that's not true. It's also not true that physicians get kickbacks for prescriptions they write. It is true that they are given dinners, and even vacations, by pharmaceutical companies. Some physicians refuse these gifts - they are usually the ones who don't hand out samples.

Quote:
Don't sale teachers short on their knowledge of add/adhd. I legally can't diagnoise a child being add/adhd but I sure can express my concerns to the parent(s) of a child who I think might be add/adhd.
No offense intended, Johna. I have said many, many times on this board to parents whose child's teacher is suggesting ADD to listen to what the teacher is saying. Teachers, in my opinion, by virtue of the number of children that they deal with on a day-to-day basis, are in a unique position to tell us what is "normal" childhood behavior and what is not. As a general rule, they offer a much more objective viewpoint that what we, as parents, have.

My point was that teachers cannot diagnose ADD, much less force a parent to medicate for ADD. In our district, ADD is considered a diagnosis and it is against policy for teachers to suggest it to parents. They can, however, report what they see - Johnny has a hard time staying on task, he constantly requires redirection, etc.

Likewise, it is unethical for a school nurse to push a specific medication.

Last edited by index.html; 07-28-2005 at 08:37 AM.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
(male)

Irish popstar HB User

I'm just tired of the b.s. that these makers of Ritalin, Adderall
think I'm stupid or something I for one think I outgrew my AD/HD
but also feel that some damage to nerves/neurons/brain cells
occured which I want fix but what if the CT scan with Tomography
comes out saying nothing's wrong. That will then really get me concerned
cause it's been more than just depression.

Also I heard scientists/medical doctors are trying
to find a way to fix a damaged dopaminergic systems.
As well as to heal neurons/brain cells that are damaged, as well, or...
regeneration of damged cells/neurons.
Someone I know has minimal brain cell/neuron damage from Adderall/Adderall XR.
He wasn't even on it for 7 years more less when he was weening off Adderall
he only tinkered with it a bit butting a little extra into his mouth.
As I speak this guy is still crashing and burning...he's also
a great poet nobody in their right mind should have to go through
the danger of a drug/medicine not experimented on rats.
Since this damage, or aggrivation this guy feels in his head...
he feels that they did not fully study on rats the long term effects.
Meaning dosing them for more than 3-4 years...adult rats lets say 5 MG Adderall,
see what happens. There is actually some people that this one guy knows
who actually know's of people defending the drug I wonder if they're getting paid
too HELLO! ALERT! mode...it is illegal for one to market a similiar compound/molecule
to that of cocaine, speed, as a possibilty ecstasy.
These "are not" SAFE! medicines...medicines are not supposed to cause
brain discomfort, adonia probably from low dopamine, a wacked up
dopaminergic systems. Since this guy's head problem I for one
have spent literally hours finding all the research, even debates to
Ritalin, even Adderall, that includes Dexedrine from being marketed anymore
yes stimulants have been prescribed since 1937 but we're WAY WAY!
more knowledgable now then we were back in 1937. It seems like every
5-7 years we advance. See what we need is alternatives
but not stimulant alternatives. Strattera is a start...but I just have a strong feeling
that they have already developed a medicine that has less possibly side effects,
that is not a stimulant. Also advances in getting rid of the gas fueled cars,
or finding other means of finding oil, gas without going into places like
Alaska where we don't belong. There was even an idea about lunar energy
I heard there could be use of solar energy as a possibility.
Though I'am pretty sure lunar energy is just ficticious...
anyways...all of what I've said here is true...

~sigh~...

p.s.Always try your hardest, if you feel that you're
having problems controlling your temper for all that
feel they have a temper problem take a deep breath,
~sigh~...do it 2-3 times if you have to.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish popstar
I'm just tired of the b.s. that these makers of Ritalin, Adderall
think I'm stupid or something I for one think I outgrew my AD/HD
but also feel that some damage to nerves/neurons/brain cells
occured which I want fix but what if the CT scan with Tomography
comes out saying nothing's wrong. That will then really get me concerned
cause it's been more than just depression.

Also I heard scientists/medical doctors are trying
to find a way to fix a damaged dopaminergic systems.
As well as to heal neurons/brain cells that are damaged, as well, or...
regeneration of damged cells/neurons.
Someone I know has minimal brain cell/neuron damage from Adderall/Adderall XR.
As I speak this guy is still crashing and burning...he's also
a great poet nobody in their right mind should have to go through
the danger of a drug/medicine not experimented on rats.
Since this damage, or aggrivation this guy feels in his head...
Meaning dosing them for more than 3-4 years...adult rats lets say 5 MG Adderall,
see what happens. There is actually some people that this one guy knows
who actually know's of people defending the drug I wonder if they're getting paid
too HELLO! ALERT! mode...it is illegal for one to market a similiar compound/molecule
to that of cocaine, speed, as a possibilty ecstasy.
These "are not" SAFE! medicines...medicines are not supposed to cause
brain discomfort, adonia probably from low dopamine, a wacked up
dopaminergic systems. Since this guy's head problem I for one
have spent literally hours finding all the research, even debates to
Ritalin, even Adderall, that includes Dexedrine from being marketed anymore
yes stimulants have been prescribed since 1937 but we're WAY WAY!
more knowledgable now then we were back in 1937. It seems like every
5-7 years we advance. See what we need is alternatives
but not stimulant alternatives. Strattera is a start...but I just have a strong feeling
that they have already developed a medicine that has less possibly side effects,
that is not a stimulant. Also advances in getting rid of the gas fueled cars,
or finding other means of finding oil, gas without going into places like
Alaska where we don't belong. There was even an idea about lunar energy
I heard there could be use of solar energy as a possibility.
Though I'am pretty sure lunar energy is just ficticious...
anyways...all of what I've said here is true...

~sigh~...

p.s.Always try your hardest, if you feel that you're
having problems controlling your temper for all that
feel they have a temper problem take a deep breath,
~sigh~...do it 2-3 times if you have to.
I've read a little and the dopamine damage thing is called downregulation which is, when receptors are exposed to a drug for a long period, the receptors will de-sensitize or even die off.

They have recently in the last few years discovered in a study that antidepressants can have a simular effect on serotonin receptors, causing the receptors to become damaged and change into corkscrew shapes in rats.

Most people say we aren't rats but rats have been a staple of discovering many effects of things on people that ended up true, including cancer causing substances and much more... so I do take those studies seriously.

I imagine the degree of damages from drugs vary from drug to drug, dose to dose, time period to time period, person to person. I think when it happens it isn't acknowledged much because the continued drug use covers the damage; and of course there is always the "original condition is worsening" or a "previous undiagnosed new condition existed what do you know" excuse when the damage exceeds what the current drug covers. Upping the dosages or adding new drugs, new diagnosis does tend to cover up the damages so yeah the doctor will tell you it's not the drug with a straight face because that's what is taught.

But many studies and scholars, Phd's and some doctors have a different view as there is research out there suggesting damages over time with even theraputic dosages. You can bet the drug co's do not pay for those particular findings thank goodness other people do have money too, just not as much as the drug co's that's why their theories are winning over the majority.

Of course, there are many other explanations too for mental "disorders", some can be external even but they never explore any of them these days as the drug treatments are accepted as the only solution basically.

Yeah, Ritalin has been around for a long time but I can tell you the widespread use of it didn't hit intil the 1990's so any data of "safety" before that is almost non-existant or irrelevant. And now, they basically blame just about anything for the damages besides the drugs when you consider all the excuses and the fact that life itself can cause certain conditions/damages.....heart problems, blood pressure, cancer, insomnia, tics, OCD, manic reaction, digestive problems, withdrawal syndromes, chronic fatigue, depression, etc, etc. can have many sources so they go on that even if they are known side effects of drugs themselves.

So "statistics" and doctor accounts can be tweeked in a way if you know what I mean. And when the person stops the drug, the damage simply makes the original condition seem like it is even worse since the brain is now dependant and more damaged than originally.

So sorry for what you've gone through. Sometimes, though, the brain can recover, at least in part, from chemical damages if one eats well, supplements and exercises over time... so take good care of yourself and stay away from alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish popstar
As I speak this guy is still crashing and burning....
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. Did your "friend" sometimes take more than the prescribed dose?

Quote:
Meaning dosing them for more than 3-4 years....These "are not" SAFE! medicines...
Unfortunately, what you say is true. There are NO medications that can be said to be 100% safe. This includes over-the-counter medications and vitamins/supplements. The long-term research just isn't done. If we think that the medications we take have been proven 100% safe, we are fooling ourselves. What we as patients, and parents, have to do is weigh risk vs benefit to the best of our ability.

Jennita is right. The best thing you can do now is try to be as healthy as you can. Eat right. Get enough sleep. Exercise. Avoid toxic substances. Good luck to you!

Old 08-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #12
(male)

Todd D. HB User

Thanks for the info. It seems that the pharmaceutical companies will do just about anything for profits.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:38 AM   #13
Inactive

agentbad HB User

in my eyes i think ADD and ADHD is misdiagnosed all the time. just because a child can't fully control themselves all the time in a classroom doesn't mean they should be put on drugs. look at how wild robin williams is. can you imagine what he was like as a kid in school. i saw an interview with him on bravo the other day and he said jokin it was either the mad house or acting. the man speaks 5 languages and if he didn't act aspired to be a nuclear physist or something of that nature. so don't be fooed by a lazy teacher giving you crap because all she wants is a paycheck every 2 weeks. we all know really good teachers are few and far between.

i was put on ritalin when i was a kid for ADHD and though it helped somewhat because it is legal "speed," the side effects far outweighed the benefits. i couldn't eat, i gagged a lot, and was very anti-social while i was on it. im convinced i have lasting psychological problems and stomach problems because of this drug. now that im an adult i would only use ritalin as a last resort. this is coming from a guy that was on ritalin, don't put your kids on drugs!

oh yeah, next time the army calls you up and asks if you want to join say you've been on ritalin. they'll tell you sorry, you can't join then, have a nice day. the day i left for college i got called by a recruiter and that's what happened. she wouldn't tell me why either but i found out the truth later from a friend that was enlisted. ritalin apparently can make people "crazy" especially on the battlefield and troops who were on the drug were killing there own guys. think about that next time a teacher or doctor suggests these so called wonder drugs.

sorry if i got a little heated,
agentbad

Last edited by agentbad; 09-16-2005 at 02:09 PM.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad
in my eyes i think ADD and ADHD is misdiagnosed all the time. just because a child can't fully control themselves all the time in a classroom doesn't mean they should be put on drugs. look at how wild robin williams is. can you imagine what he was like as a kid in school. i saw an interview with him on bravo the other day and he said jokin it was either the mad house or acting. the man speaks 5 languages and if he didn't act aspired to be a nuclear physist or something of that nature. so don't be fooed by a lazy teacher giving you crap because all she wants is a paycheck every 2 weeks. we all know really good teachers are few and far between.

i was put on ritalin when i was a kid for ADHD and though it helped somewhat because it is legal "speed," the side effects far outweighed the benefits. i couldn't eat, i gagged a lot, and was very anti-social while i was on it. im convinced i have lasting psychological problems and stomach problems because of this drug. now that im an adult i would only use ritalin as a last resort. this is coming from a guy that was on ritalin, don't put your kids on drugs!

oh yeah, next the time the army calls you up and asks if you want to join say you've been on ritalin. they'll tell you sorry, you can't join then, have a nice day. the day i left for college i got called by a recruiter and that's what happened. she wouldn't tell me why either but i found out the truth later from a friend that was enlisted. ritalin apparently can make people "crazy" especially on the battlefield and troops who were on the drug were killing there own guys. think about that next time a teacher or doctor suggests these so called wonder drugs.

sorry if i got a little heated,
agentbad
It's a post based on honesty, who could fault you for that? Maybe some don't want to believe or hear it but some will and it is appreciated.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #15
Inactive

agentbad HB User

i actually wrote my first english paper on adhd and growing. maybe ill post it because my mom showed it to one of her coworkers and she started crying. she thought that no one else had the same problems as her son. if it's alright ill see if i can find it.

Closed Thread