It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
(male)

Num1zero HB User
Question with Strattera

I am a 23 year old male and just started taking Strattera. I tried Adderall Xr and it made me feel jittery. Once I started taking the Adderall I noticed a change on the first day. I have now been taking Straterra for 5 days and I can say I have not felt a thing. I know it takes a couple of months before you get the full effect, but should I be feeling something these first few days. I started out on 25mg for three days and have been at 50mg for the past two days. I start out at 60mg tomorrow for 7 days and then I will switch to 80mg. Can anybody give me any info? Thanks

Old 09-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Question with Strattera

Num1Zero,

Know what to look for. ADHD is not an emotional disorder. An effective ADHD med should not affect the way you feel. What is something that was difficult or impossible for you to do before medication. For me, it simply is writing a todo list in the AM and then following through on it. If I can do that, my ADD is under control even though I might not feel particularly chipper that day. No one feels good everyday.

I took Strattera briefly and it helped with concentration. It was ineffective on the excessive daytime drowsiness I experience. I switched to Ritalin and more recently to adderral xr 20mg/day.

Of more concern is the numerous complaints of male sexual side effects. There is a thread on that on this board. You might want to view it.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
(male)

Num1zero HB User

I have always had ADHD, but I can handle the hyper activity now more than I could when I was younger. My biggest problem is being able to concentrate and to follow through with things of everyday life.

I think I am looking for a miracle drug that's not out there. I just started takings meds 6 months ago. I have extreme ADHD and I have grown to be very lazy. It's too hard to do the simple things, like keeping my apartment tidy. I just want to be able to wake up and clean up if I just have the notion to. I can't clean unless I am in the "zone". My girlfriend can wake up and clean for 5 hours even if she is tired. IT BLOWS MY MIND!

Old 09-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
(female)

Burntout mom HB User

Dear Addprogrammer,

You seem very informed and experienced with ADHD and I was hoping you wouldn't mind me asking you for some advice for my son. He has severe ADHD and has also been diagnosed with ODD. He's been on Strattera, Concerta and most recently is now on Adderall-XR 20 mg with a supplemental 4-hr dose (10 mg) to help with the afternoon homework. He's only 9-years old and he started having extreme difficulty in getting to sleep. I stopped his afternoon dose and his morning dose is given at 6:15 a.m. It should be out of his system by 8:00 p.m. right? His Dr. suggested a sleep aid such as Melatonin, but it hasn't helped at all. Have you ever had problems getting sleep at night? Thanks for your help/advice.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Burntout mom,

A colleague gave me some good advice. I was doing a seminar on a very large computer program. As far as developing (writing code), I wrote two very small utilities that the master program relies on. Two of the students pointed out things that I didn't know. Because I am ADHD and can't always control what comes out of my mouth, I said, "I didn't know that. I'll be darned." Later, to my colleague, I said, "what an expert I am, the students teach me." He said, Bob, there is no such thing as a expert. There are only experienced practitioners. Very wise words. I live by them.

So my credentials are I've been experiencing ADHD for close to 50 years. That makes me an experienced practitioner.

Yeah, I know, I'm also a long-winded son-a-gun.

Adderall, too late in the day can and does cause insomnia. The half-life of regular release is 5 hours. 5 hours is when half the dose is out of our blood and its efficacy is mostly gone. Where's the other 50% of the drug? Still working. Yes, it will keep me awake if I take it too late in the day. Adderall is a very powerful stimulant so it does not surprise me that Melatonin is ineffective against it.

I hate giving advice on drugs because you REALLY need to know what you are doing and I don't. So please, please, check with your physician before doing anything I suggest. You can extend the efficacy of Adderal XR by upping the dose. That is, it will work longer but not as long as 1 xr AM, 1 reg. PM stacked back-to-back. This trick is not without risk but probably worth a try if your physician agrees. Up the XR to 25 mg and discontinue the supplemental PM dose and see what happens. The risk is this: amphetamines have a narrow range of efficacy. That is, their ability to help an ADHD sufferer stay focused on and grasp study material increases with dose then starts to decrease once the dose becomes too high. It is truly a narrow range. Typical signs of too much are apparent groggyness, spacyness, or zombielikeness - take your pick. Call it what may be, the truth is, you're stoned. Now, if that doesn't happen, the higher dose will work longer because it takes longer to metabolize the med below the point of efficacy. I really would not say a word on this subject except it is so hard to get it out of a physician. It's like we have to find out from each other and then tell the doctor what to do. Cart before the horse? You bet.

If I time my dose correctly, it does not keep me awake. The fact is, if I time the "crash" with bedtime, I sleep like a baby.

Hope I've been of some assistance.

Bob E.P.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
(female)

Burntout mom HB User

Thank you so much, I've been feeling so helpless and you've been awesome!!! I will definitely bring up this suggestion of increasing the XR dose to 25 mg and doing away with the afternoon supplemental dose with my son's doctor. I really appreciate your response!!!! Have a great weekend!!!

Old 09-30-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ginzenoid HB User

I just started Strattera 40mg today and I know it is early but I also question the efficacy of this drug. It is non-stimulant so it must be not as effective as the other ones.

Closed Thread