It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
(female)

confused mum HB User
eplipesy and adhd together

my son has epliepsy but has alos been recently diagnosed with ADHD he ahd been out on a med called EQYASYM does anyone have any feedback on this med ...

one day i think that it could be working and the next day it seems like it does not... his behaviour is sometimes like a skitz one min he is fine the next min he is screaming shouting kicking and biting....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: eplipesy and adhd together

Your poor little guy! My goodness. He has alot to deal with, doesn't he?

Equasym is a brand-name in the UK for the medicine we have in the States called Ritalin or methylphenidate. Concerta and Metadate are the same medication but with a longer acting delivery system. So, anything you read on here about those meds would also apply to your son's medication.

It would be helpful, confused mom, if you can find a pattern as to when this behavior occurs. Many children, for instance, become MORE hyper and irritable when their ADHD medication wears off. Whether your son takes the longer or the shorter acting forms would determine which time of day you would see this effect.

Another thing to be aware of is that many epilepsy medications are sedating (they make you sleepy). Unfortunately, in a child with ADHD that usually translates not into sleepiness, but into irritabiltiy and increased hyperactivity.

The screaming, shouting, kicking, biting that you describe sounds like more than just ADHD. Obviously, though, he has other things going on.

Is there any relationship between his seizures and this behavior? In other words, do you see this behavior more before a seizure? After a seizure?

I guess what I'm suggesting is that it might be helpful if you could keep some type of record of his behavior. When these episodes occur what is the time of day, what else is going on, how recently has he had his Equasym, how recently he has he had his seizure medicine, how recently (or how soon after) he has a seizure.

You might be able to find a pattern and then his medication could be adjusted accordingly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 05:34 AM   #3
(female)

confused mum HB User

Thanks For Replying My Little Boy Has Loads Going On Its All Go At Once... The Med He Is Is On I Feel Sometimes Works.... How Long Would It Take To Get Into His System ? As Some Days He Seems More Chiled Than Ever And Others Not... Before A Seizure For About A Week His Behaviour Gets Worse And He Becomes More Violent But Is This The Epilespy Or Is It The Adhd ?

I Feel Like I Fight A Battle With Eplipepsy Behaviour And Adhd As Well And Also His Development Is About 2 Years When He Is Nearly Three So I Am Getting Terrible Twos Too Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Help Me Lol...........

We Need To Get This All Sorted As I Feel That He Is Getting Worse Ands No One Will Ever Take The Blame Or B Held Responsible For Anything That Happens With Him.. The Epilepsy Med He Is On We Do Feel Makes Him Very Violent And Aggressive And It Seems That Everytime We Increase It He Gets Gradually Worse .. What Do I Do I Am At My Wits End ...........................

Old 11-26-2005, 04:57 AM   #4
(female)

confused mum HB User

Thanks For Your Advice... I Get On At The Doctors Every Week To Change His Med But I Never Get To Speak To The One That I Want....... They Alwasy Seem To Have Excuse I Have Said That I Am Worried About His Behaviour Because Of The Med And They Keep Saying That It May Not Be Because Of That It Could Be The Adhd And Not The Med For The Epilepsy And Thats Why They Arent Willing To Change The Med That He Is On At The Mo.. We Went For A Second Opinion At Gosh And They Seem To Be No Better Off Than What We Was We Live Miles Away From This London Hospital So It Hard To Contact Him...

Closed Thread