It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

lpillarella HB User
Do I see my primary care doctor or a psychiatrist for adult ADHD diagnosis?

I have HPH insurance if that helps.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Do I see my primary care doctor or a psychiatrist for adult ADHD diagnosis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpillarella
I have HPH insurance if that helps.

It's usually best to start with your PCP (primary care). S/he can refer you onto a therapist if necessary. Many patients are treated for their ADD by their PCP's.

However, if you're currently seeing a psychiatrist, bring up what you're experiencing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
(female)

ibluckymom HB User

Ipillarella, I was wondering the same thing. But, I found out on my insurance I can go directly to a psychiatrist. So, I actually have an appt on Thurs, and I can't wait to finally tell someone how I feel, who will actually understand me, hopefully. I never wanted to have a psychiatrist on my "record", so to speak.

I also should probably go to my gyn. because part of my problem may be hormonal. I'm 43 years old and I could be going through "the change" I suppose. But, I do know I have been feeling THIS way for all my life, it just seems worse now.

Good Luck!

Old 12-07-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
(female)

christin0215 HB User

I brought up adhd to my primary care, and she said she could not diagnose it...that it required "neuro-pysch" testing with a shrink. So she referred me. Although, the shrink has never done any type of testing...I've never even filled out a questionaire or anything! He said my symptoms certainly fit, and the simplest way to tell if it really was adhd was just to try meds and if they helped, then I had adhd. Not sure if I exactly agree with his attitute about that, but in my case it has worked out.

Also, for what it's worth, I thought I might have adhd for a long time, but I never had the hyperactivity part of it and so I never brought it up to any doctor. Now I wish I had done this a long time ago...I feel like a different person now. I am employed and loving it, my son and I get along so much better...just every part of my life is better now! Talk to your doctor, and good luck!

Old 01-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
(female)

noinwi HB User

I don't believe there are any "official" tests for ADD/ADHD, but questionaires that aid the doctor in diagnosing, along with discussing your difficulties, and observation. I'm 54, menopausal, w/ADD. I have found that menopause exacerbates my existing cognitive problems. Good luck with your diagnosis.

Closed Thread