It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

KawaiiiGal HB User
Arrow Just switched my Adderall to Ritalin...need some info please!!

Hello!! I'm 22 years old and have had ADHD my entire life but it never posed as a real problem for me up until I was 21 years old and in the end of 2004 when I tried going to college and was spiraling out of control with my hyperactivity etc. I saw my doctor who has luckily known me since birth and has a daughter with EXTREME ADHD(so he specializes in add/adhd) and he explained to me that he had thought I've been ADHD my whole life but didn't wnat to give me medications if it wasn't needed at the time. So he was happy to help me when I came to him. He started me on 10 mg of adderall twice a day...then from there we went to the 20 mg tabs and I took one and a half a day...and then from there I was put on 30mg of the XR. The XR was an ABSOLUTE life saver. Yet the downfall was I sleep in late so the xr wasn't the best for me because it was seriousluy inhibiting my sleeping patterns. Adderall was my cure...I never thought I would be one to say that a drug turned me around 360 but adderall did. I had been on 150mg of zoloft for social anxiety and the adderall helped dissolve all anxieties helped me to feel less inhibited in the fact that I felt like I could finally just let go and not try to be soooooo in control of everything and increased my concentration, organization etc 100% and just really made me feel centered...and in control of myself so that I wouldn't obsess about everything else...but after awhile I started noticing the side effects increasing and the positive effects decreasing. So the XR wasn't for me due to the sleep patterns and I went back on the 10 mg twice a day and occationally I would take an additional 5mg if needed. But since the positive effects were decreasing my hyperactivity and attention problems and scattered thinking etc was coming back very heavily...but I dealt with the hyperactivity and attention problems thinking that this was just how it was supposed to be...not to mention my anxiety was coming back severely as well. So finally JUST recently I went and saw a psychiatrist who had treated me for anxietes in the past and was suprised he didn't pick up on the ADHD at the time, since many children with irrational anxieties can acredit those due to being adhd. Anyway though I told him my concerns and questions and he decided he wanted to do a test with a few different things. So he gave me a prescription for 10 mg of Ritalin twice a day. Now I've noticed that it definely mellows me out and I don't always feel that I need to be "so on the go" or always feeling like I'm "on the edge of my seat" and I've noticed some anxieties go down buuutt I noticed that Ritalin does not help my hyperactivity. So the point of all this rambling iiissssss....I wanted to know everyone else's expereiences with Ritalin and how you felt it helped you or your child and how it did not help you or your child. I have my Ritalin for 2 weeks, and then after that is gone I have another prescription for Dexadrine...since the Ritalin and Dexadrine are in two different stimulant groups...this is the test we are trying out. I'm hoping that since adderall is in the same groupd as Dexadrine and adderall was a life saver that maybe the dexadrine will be the answer instead of Ritalin. Anyway I would GREATLY appreciate ANY AND ALL information regaurding Ritalin and Dexadrine too. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I hope to receive some responses!!! Take care everyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
(female)

caseypup HB User
Re: Just switched my Adderall to Ritalin...need some info please!!

Sorry im not much help but I just wanted to wish you luck and hope you find what works for you.

Closed Thread