It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

threenorns HB User
verbal learning disorder

my younger daughter was diagnosed with the inattentiveness form of ADHD and also with verbal learning disorder (NOT nvld/nld) - i can't find anything about it, though.

does anyone know anything about verbal learning disorder or where i can find information? everything i check focusses on non-verbal.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
(female)

threenorns HB User
Re: verbal learning disorder

it took a while, but i think i found it: [url]http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/ears/central_auditory.html[/url]

it's called "central auditory processing disorder", not verbal learning disorder, and is often associated with ADHD.

my daughter matches ALL of the criteria listed and then some. she also experienced two of the possible causes: head trauma, when she was hit in the head by a horse buggy and then struck her head on the edge of a concrete slab when she was knocked unconcious (she was rushed for an emergency MRI and kept in the hospital for 48hrs, severe concussion) and chronic ear infection they couldn't shake until she was nearly two years old. her speech was BADLY delayed - she didn't speak coherently or in sentences better than baby babble until she was in kindergarten.

she's in high school now - they didn't test her until she was in grade ten and now many of her skills are either university level (reading) or grade five (math and writing).

i have no idea what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread