It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #1

kimmipoo HB User
fish oil for adhd

i've heard alot about taking fish oil for adhd. How much should i give my son? how often should i give it to him?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
(female)

caseypup HB User
Re: fish oil for adhd

Kimmipo this is something that we are also going to try so when I find out I will be sure to give you heads up good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
(male)

gobroncos333 HB User
Lightbulb Re: fish oil for adhd

Hi! This is my first message here on the board. I'm a 29 year old male, and have just been diagnosed with ADD.

I have not tried any meds yet, and am reviewing the pros and cons. In fact, that's why I am here on the board at the moment.

However, fish oil, I have tried. I have been taking approximately 2000 mg of fish oil a day, for about 2 weeks now. All I can say is "WOW".

I have noticed a significant change in my focus, concentration and organizational ability. After about 4 days of taking it, I found myself in my laundry room, organizing my cupboards. This may seem like a small thing to someone unfamiliar with ADD, but for me this was a very very significant display of improvement. These paticular cupboards had been a nightmare since I moved in this house. Crammed with junk, half of it stuff I had not touched in over a year.

I have noticed other improvements as well in my daily life.

I would recommend to everyone a book I have been reading. It is called "Delivered from Distraction" by Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey. I truely believe this book is changing my life.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I'm glad the fish oil has helped you, Gobronco.

For those of you who are wondering about fish oil for kids ... the amt that Gobronco was taking (2 grams or 2,000 mg) may be a bit much for smaller, younger bodies.

Fish oil has 2 main fractions that benefit the brain: EPA & DHA. For the young, developing brain, DHA is very impt. Some of the newer infant formulas are now DHA fortified. EPA is helpful for mood stability & mellowness.

For kids age 18 mos. to 15 yrs., ISSFAL -- the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids & Lipids, recommends 15 mg of DHA+EPA per pound. The younger the child, the more impt the DHA component is. A 3:1 DHA:EPA ratio is good for kids.

Issues in fish oil for kids:
1) Purity & testing -- fish oil can carry PCBs & heavy metals. Best to get a brand of fish oil w/3rd party lab testing for purity.

2) Not to be used by kids who have bleeding or clotting disorders, or who are on meds for the same. (Rare, but it does happen.)

3) Taste/compliance issues -- some of the better brands are deodorized & flavored & these are better-tolerated than regular fish oil.

4) Cod liver oil vs. fish oil -- each side has its cheerleaders. Something to research if interested.

5) Form -- liquid, pudding gel (Coromega), or softgel. If softgel, chewable softgel or swallow; size of softgel for swallowing can be an issue w/kids.

Our family has used fish oil for almost 7 yrs. now & we've tried a lot of brands. Many of the cheaper brands ended up expiring in the cupboard because no one would take them. I can highly recommend Nordic Naturals & Carlson's brands, which offer the purity-tested, flavored oils. These are more expensive but worth the extra money.

NN is our favorite. My kids went from the liquid to the chewable strawberry softgels to the swallow gels. At one point I had to hide the bottle of orange-flavored cod-liver oil in the fridge because my son decided it made him feel so great he wanted to triple up on the doses! The thing I love best about NN is that we contacted the company & they sent us very generous samples of various flavors of product to try.

I get my fish oils at health food stores or the Nutrition section of Kroger/Fred Meyers.

Best wishes.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Elmhar, I'm glad that you shared your knowledge about fish oils. You've obviously done your homework!

Although the research in this area isn't 100% conclusive, some of the research has been positive. However (as you pointed out), NO supplement and NO medication is entirely without risk.

Kimmipoo, I wouldn't want you going into this thinking that fish oils have been proven to be entirely safe. That's not the case. As with anything, you have to weigh cost vs risk.

Good luck!

Closed Thread