It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

Schecky HB User
Question Adderall XR & Weight Loss

I just started taking 5 mgs of Adderall XR yesterday. My doctor told me to go up 5 mgs every couple days until I feel ok.

I know that alot of people say they lose weight on Adderall. My question is this: Do you lose the weight because basically you are not eating at all... or eating alot less (if less what are you eating in a normal day, how many calories?)... or is it because it is speeding up your metabolism and it's just burning off what you do eat? or maybe it is a combination of all 3?

Also, how many mgs are you taking and for how long have you been taking it?

Thanks everyone!! :]

Old 03-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User
Re: Adderall XR & Weight Loss

I saw a special about kids on drugs for ADD and most of them lost weight, some, far too much weight. They said that they never felt like eating. I imagine that some people might find this to be an advantage and use the drug to lose weight, but it's not a good idea, of course. They're powerful drugs. Everyone should think long and hard and do tons of research, trying elimination diets first, before resorting to drug therapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

DONNAB555 HB User

Just stopped taking 30mg Ritalin LA once a day.. Dr gave me Adderall 30 mg once a day.. This is day 2 and I'm forcing myself to eat. I feel sick as hell.
Its helping the ADD and last longer then the Ritalin. I'm I taking too much??
Is 30mg to high to start??

Old 03-31-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
(female)

foggymommy HB User

Schecky -I took Adderall (40 mg)and Adderall XR (30 mg) both - the Adderall definitely takes the cake for weight loss. My experience was that I just didn't want anything to eat and so I didn't really eat much til p.m. when it began to wear off. With the XR, I was hungrier. When I discontinued the meds because of other side effects, I found that I was SOOO hungry that I would eat and eat. But maybe that is the return of some of the addictive behavior with my ADD and not just hunger. Good luck with your treatment!

DonnaB - You started at 30? maybe the doc did that thinking you'd transition well from one med to another, but, I think conservative docs start out at 5 or 10 for several days, titrate up to 20 -see how you tolerate it and move you on up as needed. Less shocking that way. 30 is a pretty typical dose, but I don't know about typical to START with. Hopefully, you'll start to tolerate it better, since it is helping your ADD.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

My son took Adderall for about 3 months and lost 23 lbs. He went from 103lbs to 80 lbs over night. He is 5' 3" and 12 years old. He just couldn't eat. Nothing tasted good to him. He is now on Strattera instead and takes it twice a day. He has started to eat and has gained about 6 lbs so far.
These drugs are stimulants.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
(female)

missesshaffer HB User

People, amphetamines will do this! Amphetamines are speed.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee
My son took Adderall for about 3 months and lost 23 lbs. He went from 103lbs to 80 lbs over night. He is 5' 3" and 12 years old. He just couldn't eat. Nothing tasted good to him. He is now on Strattera instead and takes it twice a day. He has started to eat and has gained about 6 lbs so far.
These drugs are stimulants.
I just had to say WOW what a tall boy!!! lol my son is only 4'6" and he's almost 11 lol...I thought he was tall but obviously he's a shrimp!

Old 04-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
(male)

Szerek HB User

My son is taking Concerta. He's 5'7" and just turned 13 in January. He weights in at a whopping 110lbs and can't sleep. He's been on Concerta for 2 years now and the lack of eating and sleeping is catching up to him but I can't get my ex-wife to try taking him off of the drug.

When he took the tests he was diagnosed as "borderline" ADHD, but despite that I've NEVER had a problem with him being out of hand. I feel bad for him not eating or sleeping but I've tried anything. There isn't much left for me to do except wait for her to see the light.

He's so thin you can almost see through him.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #9

addgirllll HB User

Adderall XR caused me to lose almost 90 pounds in only a year...My appetite was nonexistent and i would only eat one piece of turkey a day only casue i knew i had to eat something...I still have a very small appetite but like someone else was saying, you lose all desire for any food, It is an appetite suppressent that is also why...other than that, i have improved so much even got a promotion in my job...

Old 04-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
(female)

fincshelle HB User

addgirlll-

what is your dose? i am having the same problem and im on 30. Also congrats on the promotion! I know how that feels...this med has really helped me!

The Following User Says Thank You to fincshelle For This Useful Post:
Gibsongirl77 (04-13-2012)
Old 04-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
(male)

Twinsdaddy HB User

I started taking Adderall XR (20mg at first and now 30mg). I have lost 30 pounds since October of 2005. Thing is...I'm thrilled because I was 310 when I started! Not that I'm taking it to lose weight, but it helps! I tend to not snack like I used to do and that helps a great deal.

Twinsdaddy

The Following User Says Thank You to Twinsdaddy For This Useful Post:
Gibsongirl77 (04-09-2012)
Old 04-23-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
(male)

ermill73 HB User

im 16 years old , and i started to take adderal back in 05, when i first when on it i went from 180 to 163 in 2 weeks, but i found that over time it did not supress my appitie if i was constantly on it.

Closed Thread