It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

beach4me HB User
Provigil for ADD?

My son is 13 and takes Adderall for ADD. He has done great but if he misses a dose....he is a wild man and can be very angry.

I have been told that some adults have started taking Provigil (which helps with energy and alertness) with success.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is this a possibility with children?

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
Re: Provigil for ADD?

beach4me,

First, let me say the beach is for me too .

I asked my doc about Provigil because I was scared to death at the time about taking a stimulent med, aka, Ritalin or Adderall knowing they are widely abused. My doc said, and I should mention, she has 2 ADHD twins, that it is not a good idea. She said Provigil is not for ADHD but for sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. And, that the problem with using Provigil for ADHD is that it oftens makes us irritable and edgy whereas the stimulants promote the calmness so essential for concentration. I must say, I have never used Provigil so take with a grain of salt. If your doc recommends it, it may be worth a try. But my gut feeling is your best course is to make sure your son takes his Adderall on time as prescribed.

To this day the problem I have as an ADHD adult sufferer is the acceptance that I have a brain disorder that isn't going away anytime soon. I don't like the stimulants. But as this point they are the only game in town for anything more than being mildly ADHD. I would like nothing more than for someone to prove me wrong. Let me know if Provigil works for your son.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

fincshelle HB User

First of all, how long has he been on adderall? You may have to give an adjustment period for the med.

I take adderall and I wouldnt be caught not taking it, its too effective! If adderall isnt working then try another stim med, it may be the change of meds that will help.

Provigil, ive heard, is not as effective as they hoped it would be. The only main problem Ive heard of is it causes more sever liver damage, so you have to get your liver tested frequently.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
(female)

Schecky HB User

When I first was diagnosed I started with Provigil because I was scared to try the stimulant type meds as well. It actually worked pretty good for my concentration when it wasn't giving me horrible migrane headache (which was most of the time I was on it). :\ I ended up going off the Provigil and am now taking Adderall XR.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
(female)

beach4me HB User

My son has been on Adderall XR for almost 3 years. It has worked great. And even at 13....he never misses a dose. He sees the difference it makes .

I have done some reading about Provigil and that was why I was asking. Sounds like some adults have tried it but perhaps not children.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 05-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
(female)

littleshoes HB User

beach4me,

Hi. This is my first post, so I hope I am doing this right.

I write this with some reserve because as a female in my 30's, I am not sure how much of my experience will apply to your son. All I can say is that in my case, Provigil has worked wonders for me. I have taken it for over two years now, and I take it along with my ADHD meds (currently Ritalin LA - but I have taken Adderal, regular Ritalin, and Concerta at various points in the last 10 years) . It helps because it seems to keep things more "level" for me - I don't have that rollercoaster syndrome that used to happen when I took just ADHD meds. I used to have to plan my life around my meds because I knew I would "crash" at various times during the day, and for me, "crashing" ranged from feeling a little groggy to completely self-destructing. The problem was I never knew what it would be. So I planned naps/escapes to avoid being in potentially frustrating situations where I might get upset. I don't have to do that anymore. Also, and I guess this is obviously related, my social life has gotten a lot better. I feel very lucky because I don't get headaches with Provigil (a common and serious side effect - I don't want to underestimate this or seem like I am dismissing it) and my insurance pays for it. I know it is not the right drug for everyone, but for me it has made all the difference for me.

One other thing to keep in mind is that "transitions" are particularly difficult for people with ADHD. I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until I was in my 20's, and my family and I remember all too well what a "regular school day" was like: whoever had the pleasure of waking me up got screamed at, an event I rarely remembered (now I set two alarm clocks - one goes off at 6:45 then I take my meds and go back to sleep; the second goes off at 7:30 and wake up in a normal mood), I would go to school, semi-successfully make the 9 necessary transitions from class-to-lunch-to-class (and usually to detention for tardiness) hoping to get all the right books, hoping to have done the right homework, hoping I wouldn't get in trouble, hoping that I wouldn't be assessing the structural integrity of a seemingly too-thin tree branch where upon a rather large squirrel had just landed outside of the window when my algebra teacher called on me, . . . regardless of the day's victories or lack thereof, I would walk in the door and completely explode at mom. She could ask me if I wanted to go shopping or tell me to clean my room. Didn't matter. Explode. "Hate everything. Hate school. Hate you. Leave me alone." The more transitions I'd had to make in a day and the better behaved I had to be while making them, the more severe the "Hi Honey-how was your day" blowup would be. I felt awful about it at the time and still feel awful about it. I understand it now though, and I have learned to adjust for transitions. When I come home from work, I do the crossword puzzle. I teach at a university, so I teach (6) 75 minute classes a week rather than (9) 50 minute classes. I serve on committees that meet regularly for long periods and do single projects rather than a bunch of little committees that meet randomly and do a bunch of little detail things. I check email 3 times a day rather than trying to switch gears all the time and respond to every email as it comes in. And I try to be aware of how much "transitional attention" I'll use during the day. If I have a lot of transitions to make in a day, I tell my boyfriend I'll meet him for dinner at seven o'clock rather than six so I have time to collect myself.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

If he is on the same dose as three years ago, it may no longer be effective. Speak with his doc, he may need an increase. It may be that the med is wearing off sooner than it used to. I know that when my med starts wearing off sometimes I'm a little irritable. My 16 yr old child has adhd. At 15 she was diagnosed with anxiety and depression as well. Her doc took her off of adhd meds and put her on 10mg of Lexapro. She feels much better. Good luck, pinkeetoz

Last edited by pinkeetoz; 05-22-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
(male)

MikeAlberta HB User

This is more of a reply to littleshoes...

I know what you mean about the roller coaster. I have used ritalin in the past and actually think it helps more than adderall for me but... The rebound if I forgot to take a dose on time was wicked with me becoming an emotional wreck. I basically had to keep myself medicated throughout the day until I went to bed. I went to a great conferences in Seattle last fall where one of the keynote speakers discussed his use of Provigil as an addition to his other meds in much the same fashion as you use it.

Anyway Adderall XR works well for me and the rebound is so much less than the short acting ritalin (I've tried concerta but again the rebound seems worse).

Closed Thread