It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

jamiew22 HB User
Can't afford my Concerta:other options??

Hi all:
I have adult ADHD and was put on Ritalin and Concerta. This combination worked great- until I went back to school and lost my health insurance. The Concerta was almost$300 without the insurance so I asked my doctor for a cheaper substitute. We then went with Methylphenidate ER (generic of Ritalin LA or SA-not sure?), along with the regular ritalin, but something seems different. It doesn't last as long as the Concerta so I find myself having to take it more often. The help and releif I felt with the Concerta/ritalin combination is not being acheived with this new dosing. Anyone know of a comparable replacement for the concerta? I did a little research and found a few other drugs used for this treatment. I will list them below and would appreciate anyone's opinion on these drugs. Also, Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between generic and name brand ADHD treatment? Is Ritalin better than methylphenidate? Did they work for you? Are they all basicly the same?
Thanks for any help!

Metadate CD
Metadate ER
Methylin ER
*Ritalin LA
*Ritalin SR
*Are these the same thing?

Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User
Re: Can't afford my Concerta:other options??

Ask your general practioner if he knows of an address that you can write to. Search government assistance for free meds on the web. Visit your city's free health care center, good luck, pinkeetoz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

yes please search to see which drug company makes that drug you need, then check to see if they have a patient assistance program. you can probably ******** a free application from their direct website or call for one, have your doctor fill it out and send it off. If accepted (and most companies will accept you , they hardly turn anyone down) then theyll send you a 3 month supply of the med, up to a full year. After the year is up youll have to send another application in. I do this for my parents and have had great luck with getting assistance from the companies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jenetti For This Useful Post:
sher12 (01-27-2011)
Old 08-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

jlowery HB User

Hi, my neighbors son is on concerta and they get asistance with his medicine. The school has also helped with the purchase of it. I know the makers of adderall has a patient asistance program.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlowery For This Useful Post:
sher12 (01-27-2011)
Old 08-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
(female)

Frankielebunj HB User

Not sure what state your'e from, but I am from Michigan and get free assistance through COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH, which is a federal program, I know this because I'm moving to Nevada and they have it there as well. CMH provides free psychiatric care and free prescription coverage to 'those who qualify'. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #6
(male)

JAKE9364 HB User
Smile Re: Can't afford my Concerta:other options??

My oldest daughter is a full time college student who takes adderall, zoloft and imitrex. Even though she is a full time studen once she turned 23 my health insurance Blue Cross/Blue shield cut her off. So thru web surfing I came upon a site that will help you or anyone else who cannot afford medicine.
[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-30-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Closed Thread