It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

Jbearr HB User
ritalin combined w/ other meds ok?

Hi,

I am 36 yrs. old and have a history of depression and anxiety. I believe I've always had a certain degree of ADD too because it is extremely difficult for me to read anything without having to re-read because I cannot retain the information as I am reading.

I am currently on Effexor and wellbutrin and I would like to try ritalin so that I can actually comprehend what I am reading and be able to focus more on accomplishing daily tasks. Anyone know if it is safe to mix ritalin w/ these other meds? I think I am going to see my dr. as soon as possible to ask.

Thanks,
Jessica

Old 05-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: ritalin combined w/ other meds ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbearr
Hi,

I am 36 yrs. old and have a history of depression and anxiety. I believe I've always had a certain degree of ADD too because it is extremely difficult for me to read anything without having to re-read because I cannot retain the information as I am reading.

I am currently on Effexor and wellbutrin and I would like to try ritalin so that I can actually comprehend what I am reading and be able to focus more on accomplishing daily tasks. Anyone know if it is safe to mix ritalin w/ these other meds? I think I am going to see my dr. as soon as possible to ask.

Thanks,
Jessica
Well, first of all, you'll need to consult a good doctor to make sure that you're even a candidate for drugs like Ritalin. Often, lack of comprehension isn't a symptom warranting drugs like Ritalin, but is seen more as a learning disability that can be treated through other therapies.

Should your physician diagnose your condition and feel that Ritalin is a good treatment for you, there is a potential major interaction with the drugs that you're taking. In fact, taking Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Ritalin in any combination can increase your chances of seizures. It's a risk that you'll need to discuss with your physician. I strongly recommend that you see the same doctor that's prescribing you Effexor and Wellbutrin as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread