It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

amm8589 HB User
ADHD or Emotional Immaturity??

Hello! I'm new to posting here but have lurked for a while. I suspect my 7 y.o. son may have ADHD. He fidgets constantly, has difficulty sitting still, and is easily distracted. He can focus for a while, but once he gets off track, it is difficult to get him on task. School started two weeks ago and the teacher told us that our son is always fidgeting, sitting at the edge of his chair, etc. His teacher last year mentioned the same things. She said he was frequently daydreaming and it was hard to keep him on task. Once the teacher re-directs him, he will get on task for a while, but then he is distracted again.

Getting my son to do homework is a MAJOR chore. He can't stand doing it. It is a struggle all the way through. He does complete it, but we are both exhausted afterwards. He makes careless mistakes that I insist he corrects, and the tantrums just get worse.

It may sound like a clear case of ADD or ADHD, HOWEVER, he is practically a straight A student! He brings home a B every once in a while, but not very often. It baffles me. With all the struggles, his grades are still good.

So can he possibly be ADHD, emotionally immature, or both? Can an ADHD child still do well academically, while exhibiting all of the symptoms?

I bought Focus and Bright Spark in hopes it will help him to focus. Maybe that will be helpful.

Any advice or feedback is GREATLY appreciated. Thank You,

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: ADHD or Emotional Immaturity??

Hi, Amy! Glad you decided to post.

What many people don't realize is that ADHD and high intelligence are not mutually exclusive. In fact, many, many people with ADHD have extremely high IQ's. It sounds to me like this is the case with your child: he is quite bright although he has difficulty concentrating.

Something else that you need to know is that school can be *extremely* boring for very bright students. If a kid "gets" the concept before other kids catch on, there is absolutely NOTHING for him to do but sit there and fidget and daydream. Sometimes what looks like ADHD is sheer boredom.

Has your son always been hyper/fidget-y? Did you notice these behaviors before he started school?

Old 09-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

PS Amy, in the meantime, while you are trying to sort out his attention span, what if you tried this? Instead of "insisting" that he correct "careless mistakes", what if you tried to make homework more fun? Try tons and tons of positive reinforcement - celebrate every correct answer instead of focusing on the wrong ones. "You got that one right! Way to go! That was a hard one! Bet you can't get the next one right!!!" "You did! You got it -way to go!"

"You got 7 out of 10 right last night. Think you can beat that tonight?"

School work is supposed to be fun at that age.

(AND, it really isn't necessary that he turn in every homework assignment with 100% of the answers correct).

Old 09-13-2006, 04:58 AM   #4
(female)

amm8589 HB User

He is a bright child, but getting him to do his work is a constant struggle. Homework can be an all-out war sometimes. He just doesn't like to do it. I think he would rather be playing outside, which I don't blame him. Also, getting him to sit still is a near-impossible task.

We started giving him Focus two days ago. He has always taken omegas. I haven't seen much improvement, but it is too soon to look for changes. Besides he has a cold so he is miserable anyway.

Thanks for listening,

Amy

Old 09-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
(female)

AmiP HB User

Amy,
My son has been diagnosed with ADHD, and I see the same things...He started 1st grade this year, and his first homework assignment took us 2 hours. I wanted to pull my hair out.

I work, and we don't get home until almost 6 every night, so, he's normally about to fall alseep when we are doing it. So, me telling him to open his eyes, over and over again, just makes him more frustrated, which equals a more frustrated mom.

I don't have any advice, just wanting to let you know that I know how you feel.
Ami

Old 09-15-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Heavnlyhart2 HB User

Most normal kids would rather be playing outside than doing there homework after being in school for 8 hrs a day who wants to come right home and do homework??? It is like us parents who come home from work we like to sit and put our feet up a bit and rest rather than do houseWORK, right? Well the same goes for our children when they come home from school there brain needs a rest from all that schoolwork and testing they do at school perhaps allow half hour to one hour of play time at home(set a timer) , have dinner then bath/shower (helps to relax)then study til bedtime. Although they say when kids get home from school it is best while fresh in there head they will remember isn't always so the brain only absorbs so much. I remember myself in college I studied so much and still didn't remember everything I studied not unless I gave my brain a break!!!
Today most kids are bombarded with tons of homework to take home anymore that gives them no time for home life. Were living in a fast paced life everything is crammed up and not enough time to do anything else maybe we need to heed the warning signs and take time to slow down a little and enjoy a little bit of that time called FUN something that none of us really get to enjoy if we don't have that then LIFE is really boring no matter what we do...something to think about isn't it?

Closed Thread