It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

maglib HB User
ADD not ADHD, no help healthy diet

My son is 8 1/2. He is a middle child. His brothers are both high academic achievers and good sports (his parents graduated both in top 1% of their classes and do very well). All 3 boys suffer from hereditary (paternal) high cholostrol (around 300). The other 2 are naturally very thin. He is about 10 pounds overweight. We follow a strict healthy diet due to the hereditary cholestrol and have seen nutritionists so all those who tell me diet try again (we eliminated foods to see allergy results and have had many tests and we have him now on Omega 3 with limited results).

The 8.5 year old has had issues since he was a child where he did well in school but, not in larger environments. As he has gotten older he has extremely poor ability to focus. He hates to write and when he is asked questions, he starts with "I'm thinking" and goes into his own world and never answers. He can not be yelled at without getting upset and shutting down. He can't focus for sports nor writing nor reading. We read every day with him and TV and computers are very limited. He does excercise to the extent we can keep him focused on task. He is not hyperactive at all and more mellow where he doesn't seem to care about repurcusions. He is a good boy and never been a problem with acting out. His only issue is focusing on task.

OK he was finally diagnosed with ADD. He had numerous sensory tests, auditory processing, allergy, IQ, before we finally decided ADD fit and could no longer ignore what has been in our face for a very long time.

Now we are faced with what to do? Neurologist prescribed 10mg of Metadate which I haven't seen any real results in 2 weeks. I think he is actually worse. The more I read, the more I think most of the meds are for ADHD kids and really just make the kids more sedate.

Anyone who have a mellow ADD kid who has seen results with anything?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread