It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #31
(female)

twindsmith HB User
Re: Adhd with sensory issues in child

I have two sons diagnosed with ADD. Both only with a very mild focuing problem. My younger son trialed Ridelain and finds a big difference, whereas my older son, (who is also trying to get his pilots license), will never medicate himself. So, consequently, I do notice how Ridelain works compared to opting for a more natural therapy.

My comment to anyone who is going through this process with the schools involved, I found the best thing we did was to use the Child Phsycologist as a liason directly with Spec. Ed. and their regular teachers. This way, there is no chance of interrputation mix-ups with the report that the Psychologist prepared for you. You spend alot of money, use these people to your advantage. If you ever had questions regarding sensory affects, emotional concerns, side effects of meds., legal rights and accommodations that must be fulfilled by your school, confidentiality, your doctor (if he's any good) should be offering to represent your concerns at the eduction level. Ours did and it saved alot of head aches with the teachers and the school board.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #32
(female)

MuskokaMommy HB User

I would love to move to a neighbourhood where there were no kids. Back out to the country!! I think because we are used to dealing with so much activity and in some instances chaios, it is hard for us to see why other parents can't/won't deal with it. We are so use to seeing it, it becomes our normal. For them it looks like all heck is breaking loose. Other kids come here and break things, hit, etc and I deal with it in my own home. I would never tell them they could never come back. I would never want that, even if were a big incident. I also have to put the shoe on the other foot and picture something happening to my daughter and how that would make me feel. But because I can see it from both sides, I guess I don't overreact when kids fight or whatever. I would be incredibly hurt as well if someone said that my child could never play with their kids. Mind you my son is only 5, so that day may be in my future, but I can't think of that right now. I can really feel your pain on that one. My husband was/is adhd so I can see some of the positives that can come out of it, which is good. Also I use TY Pennington as my rolemodel. I call Jake my "little Ty"

One thing that is really apparent to me. When something is done to Jake, like hitting or breaking his toy, by a friend, he never tells. Whether he doesn't want to get that friend in trouble, or he just wants to keep on playing I don't know. But he never comes crying or tattling. And in the off chance that he is really hurt and does come crying, we deal with it with that child who he is playing with. Not confronting the parent!!!!!! I guess it would have to be pretty bad and maybe occuring over and over again for that to happen.

What about getting your kids involved in activities where they can make friends . Sports or something like that. I am still thinking about that for Jacob. Somewhere where he can get some of that pent up energy out. One thing I know for sure, he is going to be an extreme sports junkie. So my family tells me. I love it when they try to put a positive spin on all my reasons for having a nervous breakdown!! lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 03:21 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

We have our boys in basketball, baseball, and flag-football. It has helped. Jake, though, still is overstimulated some. One thing that has been a tremendous positive influence is the fact that another adult is redirecting him when he has been difficult/naughty other than in school. The coaches all have been wonderful, and done fantastic jobs with him in all the sports. There have been a few games where DH and I have had to help assist the coach due to not enough coaches and he has been a little out of control, but otherwise, they usually can handle him, even when he is really 'out there'. The most common form of punishment in sports for being naughty- running. LOL It really makes them think. No one likes to run when they have been naughty! Especially my son. He only likes to run on his terms! LOL

We used to live on an acreage and thought that by moving to a town where there was a neighborhood with other children and a great school district would be so helpful. The good schools are great- neighborhood; so-so. We really miss the acreage and solitude, and someday plan on moving back. Probably sooner than we plan. The boys miss it a lot too. I just feel confused.

Anyway, support group. Boy do I need to find it. And the e-mail I had written got deleted. Oops! So, back to square one again tomorrow or Monday.

TTYL Ladies

Hugs

Coffeegirl

Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #34
(female)

MuskokaMommy HB User

How old were your boys when you got them started in sports. Last year when Jake was 4.5, I enrolled him in skating. He spent most of the time making "ice angels" and eating any bits of snowy ice he could find. Otherwise he would just toddle around, kind of doing his own thing. I am worried about team sports, because of the working together and following direction thing. I may just have to take the plunge and go for it. I can totally see him in snowboarding, mountain biking, and all those adrenaline sports. He really doesn't show an interest in any type of sports, for any length of time. But we really don't push it either. Maybe if we got excited about something, that would push him into commiting to it more.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:47 AM   #35
(female)

momof4boys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskokaMommy

What about getting your kids involved in activities where they can make friends . Sports or something like that. I am still thinking about that for Jacob. Somewhere where he can get some of that pent up energy out. One thing I know for sure, he is going to be an extreme sports junkie. So my family tells me. I love it when they try to put a positive spin on all my reasons for having a nervous breakdown!! lol
I have been trying this with JZ and it is pure heck! The other children are taking the brunt of all JZ has to offer! I can see the horrified faces of the parents when he is acting up. He seems to focus all of his attenton on the girls, as if he is a bully. I think he just relates better with girls and is trying to make friends but doesn't know how. He just becomes a wild child. I hope JZ grows out of it soon.

Thanks for keeping this post going.

Momof4boys

Old 09-30-2006, 06:54 AM   #36
(female)

momof4boys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskokaMommy
How old were your boys when you got them started in sports. Last year when Jake was 4.5, I enrolled him in skating. He spent most of the time making "ice angels" and eating any bits of snowy ice he could find. Otherwise he would just toddle around, kind of doing his own thing. I am worried about team sports, because of the working together and following direction thing. I may just have to take the plunge and go for it. I can totally see him in snowboarding, mountain biking, and all those adrenaline sports. He really doesn't show an interest in any type of sports, for any length of time. But we really don't push it either. Maybe if we got excited about something, that would push him into commiting to it more.

Do you think he may not know how to proberly engage other children like my JZ? Maybe he wants to make friends and do the right things but doesn't know how? Friendship stories and friendship groups are out there to get him more involved in how to learn the right things in friendships.

Also I just started reading an excellent book called the out of sync child has fun. This book described our son and what I have been reading on here about your sons. This book has games and ideas on how to get the "physical need" out of them so they can focus more.
I hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #37
(female)

MuskokaMommy HB User

You hit the nail on the head! He wants to be social and badly wants to play with other kids, but doesn't properly engage. We have worked on it with him, but this past year has been such a time of great chaos for us, I'm afraid it has fallen by the wayside. I am going to pick up some books that our resource teacher has recommended on showing how to play with others. His teacher says that he has improved in that area, from what she saw at the end of last year to this new school year. He still has a long way to go, and it isn't something we can teach them and just stop. Continual learning process, because the dynamic of friendship changes as does their ages. I will look for the out of sync child book, as it has been recommended to me before. Thanks

Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Time for me to read the Out of Sync Child. There are other good books out there as well in regards to children with sensory issues or how to parent them. I'll do some checking this week.

My son won a Character award this week at school for his class. I about fell over. LOL He is such a funny little guy, and to win something like that is a HUGE ordeal for him. It made us so proud. He gets a t-shirt for it at his grade school. It is for having a good sense of being a good citizen at school.

Well, I must go.

Coffeegirl

Old 10-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl2
Oh my gosh!!!! I have never heard of another parent mentioning toe-walking!!! My son toe walks as well! We freaked when we first saw him do it. He does it a lot, and it just makes one cringe at the sight. You'd think it would hurt them?
I have Asperger's, not ADHD, and I walk on my toes constantly. I have ever since I learned how to walk. It doesn't hurt whatsoever. It's just very natural. It's not as obvious when I have shoes on (with the exception of my tennis shoes), except when I walk up stairs, but it's plain as day when I'm barefoot... It's not unusual for ADHD children to have sensory issues because ADHD is now being thought to be an autistic spectrum disorder. There are vast differences between ADHD and high-functioning autism/Asperger's, but there are many similarities, enough for ADHD to be considered a spectrum disorder. For example, I see many similarities between myself and your children, even though I don't have ADHD. If you have any questions involving sensory issues, feel free to ask me! I'd be more than happy to try and help!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 AM   #40
(female)

amm8589 HB User

It's been a while since I posted on this thread but I'm reading everyday. My son had such a great week last week until Friday. He melted down BIG time that afternoon and had a rough weekend. He seems to be doing better now. Sometimes it's frustrating because you don't know what will set him into a tizzy. He is so quick to temper that we don't see it coming half the time.

We are now trying some natural approaches. We have eliminated all dyes from his diet and have cut out artificial sweetners and dairy. We want to see if this will help. Some people have seen improvements with diets, so it is worth a try. We are also using some natural supplements such as Omega 3 supplements and a fwe natural remedies. I'll keep you posted on the results.

I'm so glad this thread was started. It really helps!

amm

Old 10-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #41
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Hi Gatsby

How are you doing? My son has SD/ADHD/FAE/RAD. He is 7. He walks on his toes a lot, and it just is simply amazing! How on earth do you do it? Does it hurt? He has great balance and coordination.

My son also plays football, baseball and basketball all year around. Sports help him a lot. He has problems focusing at times, but it helps with the energy release.

Gatsby- Do you recommend any books out there other than the Out of Sync Child to read? It is a great book but are there other resources for us to find for help? We can't use resources for the net here- books? I have more RAD books or parenting books.

Are any of your sons in an early reader programs? My son is. He is struggling one day and doing fine the next day. FRUSTATING!! We are working with him on reading 2-4 books a night, and it is so daunting as he is lazy at times, and then other times very energetic about the lessons. ARGH! No consistency with him anymore. This summer he was not like this. He enjoyed the reading completely. Is he burnt out of it?

Have a good morning gals

Coffeegirl- Have a cup of coffee: It makes the morning much brighter!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #42
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Hi, coffeegirl2! No, walking on my toes doesn't hurt at all. It's really the only way that I feel comfortable walking. I don't know why. I, however, have horrible coordination, but then again, almost all Aspies do. I haven't read The Out-Of-Sync Child or any books on sensory issues alone, for that matter. I tend to stick with books on Asperger's/high-functioning autism because that's what I have specifically. Again, if you have questions on sensory issues, let me know!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #43
(female)

MuskokaMommy HB User

I just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian and American friends who have been a great source of support and understanding through my sons trials and tribulations. Hugs to all!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #44
(female)

momof4boys HB User

do you guys mean walking on your toes with them curled under or just with the rest of your feet in the air?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

toes curled under

Closed Thread