It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

Sylvia224 HB User
Anyone without health insurance?

I am ADHD, I was on 30mg. of ritalin per day, until I found out that I'm pregnant and stopped taking it. Well life has been very, very difficult without it, I'm very lucky to still have my job - though I probably won't for much longer unless I can miraculously pull myself together.

Anyway, once I have the baby I plan to go back on my meds, but I won't have health insurance at that point. Well I will be on my husband's insurance which requires a $5,000 deductible, so I might as well have none. Can anyone tell me how much the regular doctor visits (I was going 4x per year) and generic ritalin cost - just ballpark?
Thanks.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
(female)

requiemforadream HB User
Re: Anyone without health insurance?

I don't know if this could help you at all, but in Pennsylvania, if you have a documented mental disorder, you can get insurance from the state--FREE! No co-pays for scripts or doctor's visits. It's been marvelous for me, cuz I'm bipolar and am on a few drugs, including 15mg of Abilify and a separate 10mg of Abilify which adds up to about $900! But, i don't pay a thing!

I highly recommend checking it out in your state.

Good luck, Sylvia!

*megan*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

princess_manner HB User

[removed]

Please read the posting rules: asking for instructions on how to do online searches is not allowed.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-11-2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: do not ask members to recommend outside websites

Old 05-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Hey Sylvia,

Long time no see. Congrats on your pregnancy. I wish all the best for you and your baby.

My wife and I were spending over $1000 / month on health care premiums, copays, and deductibles. We couldn't take it any longer and dropped coverage two months ago.

I've been seeing a shrink for med management and the copays were $25.00visit. I go every two months. I was expecting to pay well over $100 per visit after terminating ins. coverage. Full price is $48. Generic Ritalin runs me $54 at a Walmart in NE PA for 60mg. You'll probably pay $40 for 30 mg.

Catastrophic (very high deductible) health insurance is the only way to go. Your husband's insurance will protect you from those two, three hundred thousand dollar medical bills (and up) that can wipe you out. You are better off paying out-of-the-pocket for routine medical care.

Best regards,
Bob

Closed Thread