It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

ndjames5 HB User
Unhappy Teenager with ADD HELP!!!

I have a 14 year old son who has ADD! I have trouble getting up and moving in the morning!! I start getting him up at 6:00 am so that we can leave by 7:00 he needs to shower, dress and eat (so he can take his meds concerta). It is a constant struggle. His lack of discipline in the moring causes problems with everyone in the morning. I don't know what to do with him! Any suggestions on how to change the morning routine might help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Re: Teenager with ADD HELP!!!

My son is also 14 and he's used meds on and off for short periods. More off than on. I think he's been on for a total of a year since age 7. I really don't know if he is truly ADD and that's probably why he isn't on it. I won't go into details about my situation. You can search on my name and find plenty! lol

One of the most beneficial things I've learned over the years is 'natural consequences.' Once my son realized he was responsible for the outcome of situations, he straightened up. I was so worried about his start of high school with him having to get up at 5:30 (I get up at 6:30). I didn't want to change my routine - I'd be dead by the end of the day! My oldest (17) and he worked out a routine where one would eat while the other showered. This has worked well. If you only have one son to worry about, have him set the alarm and get up on his own - like we did for our 14 yo. I tried to get one of the boys to shower the night before, but that didn't go over very well.

So in a nutshell, here's something to try:

Night before:

set alarm
pick clothes
make sure schoolwork is ready to go
make sure any papers that need to be signed are done

Morning:

turn off alarm
get up, shower and dress
take concerta
eat breakfast
leave!

No rewards, no yelling.

Does he have to catch the bus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
(male)

AdifferentPerso HB User

Last year getting to school on time was a huge problem for me...i got suspended for 3 days....and countless saturday schools. it was pretty bad. Ive been taking meds right when i get up now, and i haven't been late yet this year. taking my meds is the first thing i do...it really helps.

Last edited by AdifferentPerso; 09-25-2006 at 03:29 PM.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:27 AM   #4
(female)

appleandeve HB User

Your son sounds a lot like me before I knew I had ADD and started getting treatment (20mg Adderall XR in the morning, booster dose of 10mg regular Adderall in the afternoon- so I don't crash so I can actually study). I'm about to be 17 and I ended up dropping out of high school because of ADD that I was totally unaware of. I went to a public high school and despite being in advanced classes, I was absolutely bored and unchallenged. I'm a pretty bright kid- or so they tell me- and I actually had ADD testing done when I was 12 by a really horrible doctor, apparently, who simply said, "No! She absolutely DOES NOT have ADD!" to my mother. In retrospect, I'm thinking that the extent of his testing was a WISC test (a sort of IQ test), and since my IQ is more than decent, he concluded- not without much fallacy- that attention deficit was in no way related to me because I happened to be an intelligent human being. Well, the two have very little to do with one another, and I'm pleased to say that with treatment, I feel like I'm drawing up to meet my full potential.

I suppose my advice to you as a proud owner of a set of parents would be to have patience. We're all doing our best in our own way and ADD is simply chemical- using will-power to cure it is... absurdly difficult and probably impossible, but I'm no expert on that. I'm sure you love your son with all your heart and if you just support his treatment and if you have to- or think it's best, try talking to your son's doctor about experimenting with medicines and doses to get something that may work better for him than Concerta. I'm personally very content on Adderall, but we're all tweaked a little differently in the neurochemical way, so experimentation- although it sounds a little sketchy- is really the only way to figure out what's best.

After getting on medications for both ADD and clinical depression (I take 300mg of Wellbutrin daily), my parents have both noticed many, many positive changes in me and are very pleased with the results thus far. It started off a little shakey, figuring out the right formula, but they've been very, very supportive of me and exceedingly patient with me, and I am so thankful for that. Both of those conditions run in our family, so it's nothing new for any of us.

Perhaps you should consider investigating to see if your son has depression or not. I've had it since forever, but it didn't really make itself apparent until sometime around my 16th birthday. It isn't at all uncommon for ADD and depression to occur simultaneously, so it's worth investigating. The medicines working together have really improved the overall quality of my life. If I was just on Adderall, I'd be a little wired and very focused but down most of the time, and if I was solely on Wellbutrin, It'd be like, "Yeah, I'm okay, but I HATE SCHOOL! I CAN'T DO ANYTHING PRACTICAL!" It gets more and more frustrating for an untreated- or under-treated- person with ADD on a deeper level as they mature, or it has been so in my personal experiences. A lot of the time I'd feel like, "Oh God, please! I can't keep my bathroom clean! I can't return anything on time! I can't remember people's names! I can't listen to a teacher giving a lesson or keep a steady train of thought-- what is wrong with ME?" I felt like a walking mess with my keys clipped to my belt loop while I'd frantically search through my purse and coat for them.

I'm sorry that was such a ridiculously long post, but... I'm on Adderall at this moment, and I'm loving writing about things I know about and it just goes on and on and so forth. I apologize if I've told you a lot of things you already know- that can be frustrating, I know, but if I assume you know a minimal amount about ADD -and life as somebody with it- solely for the purpose of writing my reply, then at least it will be more thorough.

Best of luck with your son! I'm sorry also if you read all of that and got nothing, haha, that would be a downer.

Take care.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

SoccerSmarty HB User
Post Re: Teenager with ADD HELP!!!

Hi, i have been diagonsed with ADD ever since i was born, and its been hard 4 me and my mother untill she suggested i have a morning schedule so i get into the habit. i must say, it is helping me alot getting to school on time and IN school (with the help of dexedrine 10mg with half of 5mg)

- Soccer Star

P.S if you are going to give him Dex. DONT
go over 20mg, it is impossible get sleep.
( this only applys to kids 15 and under)
Hope this helps

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-08-2006 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Do not discuss your age outside of the Teen Boards

Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 AM   #6
(male)

atomicone HB User
Lightbulb Re: Teenager with ADD HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleandeve
Your son sounds a lot like me before I knew I had ADD and started getting treatment (20mg Adderall XR in the morning, booster dose of 10mg regular Adderall in the afternoon- so I don't crash so I can actually study). I'm about to be 17 and I ended up dropping out of high school because of ADD that I was totally unaware of. I went to a public high school and despite being in advanced classes, I was absolutely bored and unchallenged. I'm a pretty bright kid- or so they tell me- and I actually had ADD testing done when I was 12 by a really horrible doctor, apparently, who simply said, "No! She absolutely DOES NOT have ADD!" to my mother. In retrospect, I'm thinking that the extent of his testing was a WISC test (a sort of IQ test), and since my IQ is more than decent, he concluded- not without much fallacy- that attention deficit was in no way related to me because I happened to be an intelligent human being. Well, the two have very little to do with one another, and I'm pleased to say that with treatment, I feel like I'm drawing up to meet my full potential.

I suppose my advice to you as a proud owner of a set of parents would be to have patience. We're all doing our best in our own way and ADD is simply chemical- using will-power to cure it is... absurdly difficult and probably impossible, but I'm no expert on that. I'm sure you love your son with all your heart and if you just support his treatment and if you have to- or think it's best, try talking to your son's doctor about experimenting with medicines and doses to get something that may work better for him than Concerta. I'm personally very content on Adderall, but we're all tweaked a little differently in the neurochemical way, so experimentation- although it sounds a little sketchy- is really the only way to figure out what's best.

After getting on medications for both ADD and clinical depression (I take 300mg of Wellbutrin daily), my parents have both noticed many, many positive changes in me and are very pleased with the results thus far. It started off a little shakey, figuring out the right formula, but they've been very, very supportive of me and exceedingly patient with me, and I am so thankful for that. Both of those conditions run in our family, so it's nothing new for any of us.

Perhaps you should consider investigating to see if your son has depression or not. I've had it since forever, but it didn't really make itself apparent until sometime around my 16th birthday. It isn't at all uncommon for ADD and depression to occur simultaneously, so it's worth investigating. The medicines working together have really improved the overall quality of my life. If I was just on Adderall, I'd be a little wired and very focused but down most of the time, and if I was solely on Wellbutrin, It'd be like, "Yeah, I'm okay, but I HATE SCHOOL! I CAN'T DO ANYTHING PRACTICAL!" It gets more and more frustrating for an untreated- or under-treated- person with ADD on a deeper level as they mature, or it has been so in my personal experiences. A lot of the time I'd feel like, "Oh God, please! I can't keep my bathroom clean! I can't return anything on time! I can't remember people's names! I can't listen to a teacher giving a lesson or keep a steady train of thought-- what is wrong with ME?" I felt like a walking mess with my keys clipped to my belt loop while I'd frantically search through my purse and coat for them.

I'm sorry that was such a ridiculously long post, but... I'm on Adderall at this moment, and I'm loving writing about things I know about and it just goes on and on and so forth. I apologize if I've told you a lot of things you already know- that can be frustrating, I know, but if I assume you know a minimal amount about ADD -and life as somebody with it- solely for the purpose of writing my reply, then at least it will be more thorough.

Best of luck with your son! I'm sorry also if you read all of that and got nothing, haha, that would be a downer.

Take care.
For a 16-17 year old who dropped out of high school you can sure write well. While reading your post, I couldn't stop admiring your excellent use of grammar, punctuation, etc... I can completely understand your desire (or obsession) with talking/writing about things you're fascinated with. I am 34 years old and have ADD and Tourette's Syndrome and constantly get hyper focused on the things I enjoy. I have always enjoyed learning new things and also have an above average IQ (155). I dropped out of school my senior year for many reasons, but I did get my GED 4 months before I should have graduated, and was in college that summer. I eventually finished my degree in physics at the age of 30 and have enough credits for almost 3 bachelorís degrees. My biggest problem with school was becoming easily bored and switching majors many times due to a wide variety of interests, and problems staying focused on one discipline for more than a few months (sometimes weeks). If you truly are as young as you state, then get your butt back in school and try and find out what makes you tick. I have never seen someone your age write so well (you're writing is well above the average college student) and be so articulate. Have you ever thought about becoming a writer? Whatever you do, just make sure you finish high school and get some sort of higher education, because you'd be doing a disservice to society and yourself if you didn't.

FYI - Many people with ADD and other disorders (e.g. Tourette's Syndrome and Autism) have above average IQ's. I personally feel your IQ is well above average. So put it to use!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
(female)

joneliemom HB User

Although my son is younger (11), we have tried several things to improve the morning routine. Like you, it can be awful and it effects everyone in the house.

I started giving my son his medicine 45 minutes before he has to get up - for us, that's 6:00 a.m. For you it would have to be 5:15). The difference is unbelievable! He is able to get up, get dressed, make himself breakfast, etc. It has changed the whole mood of the house and the family.

Given your son's age, I don't know if this is an option for you - but it's worth a try.

Good luck

Closed Thread