It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

trsh12321 HB User
Question High Pain Tolerance in ADHD?

My 7yr old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD 3 yrs ago. It was no surprise as her father is ADHD. However, I find she has quite a high pain tolerance and it sorta scares me. Does anyone find this with thier children with ADHD or themselves who have it?

If she falls or has bruises I'll ask her how she got it and she won't remember. She loves the monkey bars and is very good on them however once in a while she will fall and hurt herself and cry for a second but more cause of a scare then being hurt.

Her and her brother where running and smacked into each other she didn't really cry and the next day her nose was very swollen and i brought her to the doctor and she had a fractured nose. That would hurt but to her it didn't her very much.

Is this part of the disease?

Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
(female)

pjbhawaii HB User
Re: High Pain Tolerance in ADHD?

Aloha from Hawaii,

This is my second response to your post; I hope this goes thru.

The short version appears to be Yes, ADHD people do have a higher pain threshold. My now-15 year old son was diagnosed as a five year old. He has a very high pain threshold; he never cried when receiving shots, indeed, he barely noticed. Likewise, spills and tumbles never seemed to bother him. He recently fell off his moped -- it hurt because he had road burn, deep cuts with gravel, large bumps and deep black bruises. He complained only a bit and only for about five minutes, whereas I would have demanded morphine.

Other ADHD parents I have met thru-out the years report the same. These children do feel pain, so this issue is not life-threatening. Raising an ADHD child is way hard; at least we don't have children who unnecessarily whine or cry over small pain issues. We've never discussed this with his internist or psychiatrist: too many other, more important issues.

Good luck to you.

PJ Hawaii

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
(female)

MuskokaMommy HB User
Re: High Pain Tolerance in ADHD?

I do find that my 5 year old son has a high tolerance for pain. Again, bumps and bruises galore, but only a mild responce. I wouldn't think anything of this, except there are 2 other 5 year olds in our neighbourhood, and when they fall down, the tears never end. My husband however is the exception to the rule. I think his pain tolerance was better when he was little, but my adult ADHD baby, can't seem to tolerate it. LOL!! God forbid you try to squeeze any kind of bump on his body. You would think he was giving birth!!!

Closed Thread