It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

joneliemom HB User
Question Tics - does Clonadine help?

Our son, 11, has been on different stimulant medications for the past 5 years for ADHD. He's had problems with tics off and on over the years and he struggles to fall asleep every night (not because of the medication, we've discovered, but due to anxiety). The tics are very upsetting to him and seem to be getting worse. Our Dr. has suggested clonadine. I'm wondering if anyone has had success with Clonadine related to anxiety, tics and sleeping?

thanks

Old 11-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Tics - does Clonadine help?

Well, first, I have to say that if my child developed tics while taking stimulants, I would promptly discontinue them (after discussing with our doc). If your child had tics before he started medication, though, that's a different story.

My son developed tics years before we tried stimulants. Yes, Clonidine was very helpful. It greatly diminished his tics, decreased his hyperactivity, and helped him sleep.

One thing to know about Clonidine is that the pills are very short-acting so you get alot of peaks and valleys in their effectiveness. There is a clonidine patch that worked wonderfully for us. The patch is advertised as being effective for a week; we got 5 days out of it. Some children can't tolerate the patch because of skin irritation, but we didn't have that problem.

Oh, one other thing about Clonidine. Keep an eye out for constipation. It constipated my son so badly that we thought he had Irritable Bowel Syndrome when all along it was the medication.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #3
(female)

m.newgent HB User

when my daughter was 5 she was told she had tourettes,adhd,shool phobia,sleep disorder,seperation anxity disorder, but because dispite pointing the tics out to teachers they told dr. that they see no signs of any problems mentioned and all diagnosies were with drawn, but she is still the same and is now 9 i am not convinced she has tourettes but from what i gather from you is that tics also come with adhd is that right

Old 11-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
(male)

hmxsgt HB User

I'm taking it that that stimulants cause the tic and not the ADD. I have just noticed that my son has started with a Tic, actually a few tics. He's always moving his neck, tilting his head and twitching his lips. I was starting to wonder myself about a slight form of tourettes, but I'm happy to see that it may only be his med. He's on dexa-something or other. Is the Clonadine a replacement med or is it used in conjuction with the stimulant? A call to his doc is in order regardless.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

m.newgent HB User

tics started well before any meds were given

Old 11-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

mnewgent,

Tics are not part of ADHD. However, many kids who have ADHD do suffer from tics and many are also diagnosed with Tourettes.

The definition of Tourettes is: tics not caused by medication (like stimulants), onset of tics prior to age 18, both motor and vocal tics present although not necessarily at the same time, tics present for at least year (Although tics tend to come and go. It is normal to have some tic-free periods but to meet the diagnosis of Tourettes, the tic-free period must be shorter than 3 months out of the year). Vocal tics are not necessarily words or grunts (although those are common). Throat clearing, for instance, is classified as a vocal tic.

There are other diagnoses that involve tics besides Tourettes - multiple tic disorder, transient tic disorder, etc.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

hmxsgt,

Yes, tics *can* be caused stimulant medication. And, if they are caused by meds, they *usually* go away when the meds are discontinued. Unfortunately, they don't always. The tics may persist. It is for this reason that, if your son were mine, I would want to stop the stimulants asap. You do want to consult your doctor first - it's generally best to taper off rather than abruptly discontinue.

Some doctors will prescribe Clonidine and a stimulant together. This is usually done if the tics were present prior to the stimulant being given or if the child is so severely ADHD that he can't function without meds (very few have ADHD to that extent). I would be uncomfortable with a doctor who wanted your child to continue on a stimulant unless under those circumstances.

Clonidine is also prescribed alone to treat tics and ADHD. It can be very useful in reducing hyperactivity. It is not effective, however, at helping concentration.

The behaviors you describe do sound very much like tics to me. I wouldn't delay in consulting your md. And yes, "dexa-something" is a stimulant.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
(male)

hmxsgt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
hmxsgt,

Yes, tics *can* be caused stimulant medication. And, if they are caused by meds, they *usually* go away when the meds are discontinued. Unfortunately, they don't always. The tics may persist. It is for this reason that, if your son were mine, I would want to stop the stimulants asap. You do want to consult your doctor first - it's generally best to taper off rather than abruptly discontinue.

Some doctors will prescribe Clonidine and a stimulant together. This is usually done if the tics were present prior to the stimulant being given or if the child is so severely ADHD that he can't function without meds (very few have ADHD to that extent). I would be uncomfortable with a doctor who wanted your child to continue on a stimulant unless under those circumstances.

Clonidine is also prescribed alone to treat tics and ADHD. It can be very useful in reducing hyperactivity. It is not effective, however, at helping concentration.

The behaviors you describe do sound very much like tics to me. I wouldn't delay in consulting your md. And yes, "dexa-something" is a stimulant.

Hope that helps.

Hahaha I believe it dexadrine, I couldn't remember. But ya I also read that the mixture of the clonidine and the dexadrine could be a deadly mixture, and yes we have the plan to take him asap

Helpd alot, Thanks

Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmxsgt
. But ya I also read that the mixture of the clonidine and the dexadrine could be a deadly mixture,
I don't know if you'll be checking back or not, but here goes. There were reports some time ago about there being fatalities with the combination. It turned out that there were deaths in 5 cases, but in each case, there were extenuating circumstances (ie congenital defects, etc).

Personally, I'm not as afraid of combining Dexedrine and Clonidine as I am about giving Dexedrine to a kid who has developed tics while on Dexedrine.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
(female)

momof4boys HB User

We have chosen to not medicate our 10 year old that has tourettes and adhd.
We have done the natural route of increasing vitamins, eliminating sugar, gluten, dairy, and soy.
We also had him in a non-medicated study where he learned responses to do instead of tics.
The tics are stil there, but the ADHD is soooo much better. No more meltdowns, can sit still and pay attention. Starts homework and works on it until he is done with out a single argument.

Even though it is expensive to feed him and give him supplements, I am so glad we chose to do this instead of medicate. Although since we have not been eating wheat as a family I feel much better physically and mentally.

Closed Thread