It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

Jenny5 HB User
Lightbulb BrightSpark and Focus

MY 10 y/o son who has Asperger Syndrome and ADHD has been on Focus and BrightSpark for 4 weeks. He was just recently diagnosed with both (we've always known he was *special* )
We are at that "We are not medicating him with RX drugs...yet" stage.
SO, I thought I'd try him on homeopathic drugs first.
While it hasn't *cured* him (nothing is perfect) there has been a notable change in his ADHD levels. The immediate improvement was his handwriting. Before, it was so sloppy, my son could barely read his own writing. 3 days into the meds, his handwriting improved significantly. The teachers also came up to me during lunch and commented on how well my son had been dong in class that day. I was beaming (they didn't know about the meds). I also noticed that he didn't anger as easily and seemed to get along better with his younger sister.
We are still in counseling and in the process of finding out methods to live with AS and ADHD, but ther homeopathic meds have helped take off the *edge* that we we're living with day in and day out.

When I did a search for Focus and BrightSpark on these forums, I was surprised to find so few posts and no followups. I just felt like these meds needed some posting becasue they do seem to *help* my son.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

Louise6 HB User
Re: BrightSpark and Focus

H Hi Jenny 5. I just read your post. We have a 14 (soon to be 15) yr. old. He has ADD and possibly Asperger's. As far as that (Aspergers) do you know of any books or other info that would help us? I went on the one website but it was tooooo confusing and technical. It didn't seem to relate to our son but then on another post it was said that there are many types of this syndrome. Any help you can give us would be great. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 05:34 AM   #3
(female)

Jenny5 HB User

There's a great book called "Children In The Mix" c: 2005. I was able to borrow it from the local library.
Have you checked out the Autism forum on these boards? There are other parents there that may be able to suggest reading materials too.
While there is no cure for Asperger's, there are lots of tools/methods and techniques for helping your child to live with it and function in life.
I feel for you going through this at 14, such a hard age for any child.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

Hi Jenny5! My son who is 7 has just been diagnosed with ADHD. His dad and I know that something else is going on with him. He has always been different. I have researched Asperger Syndrome and it is a good possibility that could be some of the problem too. Would you mind telling me some of the symptoms your son has had?

Our son has been put on Adderall XR 10 mg and as much as I did not want to medicate, I have seen a major improvement at school this week. Home hasn't really been that much of a problem, but everyday I was getting calls from his school. He was really starting to be aggressive and that had never been a problem until lately.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. I will also check out the Autism board. I have been a member here forever, but I don't know why I have never been there!

Thanks again,
Cristie

Old 11-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
(female)

Cathy01 HB User

For books on asperger's a really good one is by Tony Attwood, Asperger's Syndrome, A Guide for Parents and Professionals [removed]. I have given it to grandparents and friends to read so they can understand a little about my 15yr old. It is only about 200 pages and is easy to understand. Another one is done by Oasis...it is really long and very detailed but alot of great info. [removed] I have checked it out from our local library a few times...Sorry, I don't remember much else about it but it should be easy to find, not that many layperson books around.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-11-2006 at 11:58 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Closed Thread