It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

amynjason32105 HB User
BF with ADHD-need help

I am 19 years old. My BF is 20. We just had a son on October 28th. My BF was diagnosed with ADHD when he was a child. A few years after being on medication he stopped taking it, well before he even got into high school. His parents didnt believe he really had ADHD. They thought he used ADHD as an excuse when he got into trouble. I believe he has ADHD. He has all the symptoms: very easily distracted, easily frustrated, figidy, problems concentrating at work, talks very fast. He also has problem with abusing drugs. And when he takes drugs he gets violent, and verbally abusive. So, im very scared of him being around the baby. I havent let him come near the baby for a week now, the baby is now 2 and a half weeks old. Even when he isnt on drugs, he tends to be very careless with the baby, hes not gentle with him, hes negligent. Does this have anything to do with ADHD, or should I be worried that there is something else wrong with him ? Im concerned for the safety of my son, and myself also. I hate to keep his son from him, but I feel I have no choice. Are these things signs of ADHD, or something else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: BF with ADHD-need help

Sweetheart,

ADHD or not, you have got to think of your baby first. I know that's what you're trying to do because you came here asking that question. But, honestly, you can't risk your BF being careless or not gentle with the baby. He could - accidentally - do permanent damage to your little one.

At the very least, you need to keep your baby away from him until he's clean. Even then, I wouldn't trust him alone with the baby.

Your BF may very well have ADHD - the symptoms you describe sound that way. But, being careless, not gentle, even negligent? No, you can't blame that on ADD.

I feel for you. You're in a very tough position. But, again, I urge you to continue to place the baby first. Your BF can take care of himself; your child can't.

Good luck and God Bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
(male)

Epeaf HB User
Re: BF with ADHD-need help

Actually you can blame the negligence and roughness on it, they aren't fully aware of what they're doing, I have a sister who is somewhat prone to violence and she has ADHD, but i'm not against you, i still support the idea that you do put your child first whether or not its his fault doesn't matter, but about the drugs, the main problem is that with ADD and ADHD, stimulants calm the person down such as caffeine, it has something of a reverse effect on the person, so the drugs could be effecting him worse than a normal person, if i'm wrong on any of this, i apologize.

Closed Thread